Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Leopard, frustratingly slow, crashes, hangs, blah..

Leopard, frustratingly slow, crashes, hangs, blah..
markwm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2008, 05:44 PM

I have 2 intel macs with Leopard installed, CD macbook and a C2D iMac. Both machines have 2gig of memory.

I'm not having any serious problems just lots of tedious ones on both machines. I surely can't be alone with these issues as all I do really is web surfing and the usual non intensive tasks like that:

- Safari, I like Safari a lot, it doesn't seem to like me. More so than anything else Safari causes me so much problems. I see the beach ball daily, always have to force quit at least once a day. Sucks memory like nothing. Even after a force quit, when I restart it, it will take like 5 minutes to become responsive. The address blue stays blue and I get the beach, so 1 force quit nearly always means another one. Doesn't seem slow at browsing it just hangs so much I can't actually believe they haven't fixed this issues.

- Spotlight. If I've had my mac in for a few hours already and invoke spotlight for the first time it takes 5 minutes to give me any results (apart from the dictionary).

- Quick Look. Should be renamed slow look and where movies are concerned should be named 'don't even bother trying to look' if you're in a hurry.

- Disk Utility. With Tiger repair permissions took a couple minutes. With Leopard, I'm currently 20 minutes into it and it hasn't repaired a single permission.

- Mail. Messages take ages to open, especially if mail is downloading in the background.

- Finder, file list just have a half second delay. I click on a folder and there's a delay before the contents appears, even if there's just half a dozen items. I know Tiger Finder was like this too but still....

I'm just not enjoying it at all. Everytime I hear the argument that windows crashes more than os x I get a little annoyed. When I was an XP user(few years back now) I never ever had this many day to day issues and such slowness.

losing faith actually.

ibook_steve
Sep 8, 2008, 06:53 PM

Safari: Have you tried emptying the cache and/or resetting Safari (both from the Safari menu)?

Spotlight: There's some way to start over and have it re-index your machine, hopefully speeding it up. I don't recall how to do it. Others here might have an answer.

Other general slowness issues: Are these new or old machines upgraded to Leopard? Have you tried creating a test user account to see if you still have the problems in that account? Have you booted from an install disk and run Disk Utility to make sure this is not a hard drive problem? A dying drive could cause these issues as well.

Last resort: do an archive and install of the OS, but check the other things listed above first.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ewiser
Sep 9, 2008, 08:25 AM

[QUOTE=markwm;3721677]I have 2 intel macs with Leopard installed, CD macbook and a C2D iMac. Both machines have 2gig of memory.

- Quick Look. Should be renamed slow look and where movies are concerned should be named 'don't even bother trying to look' if you're in a hurry.

Wow using Quick look does load the whole movie so I would think it would be slow.
The file size will determine how fast Quick look works. The larger the file you are trying to "Quick Look" the longer the time it will take to open it.

You need to look thru this: http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
Ckear Caches will fix a lot of slowness.

Forum Links
Forum Rules