Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Excel quesiton Mac to PC and back

Excel quesiton Mac to PC and back
Nelsun
May 23, 2006, 11:23 PM

I hope someone with Excel knowledge can illuminate me. I have been using MS Office 2000 and the more recent version at work on a G5. I'm the only one. My co-workers are PC's. We use a custom made Excel spreadsheet for our weekly timecards as I work for a design firm that bills our clients on an hourly basis.

The timecard was created on a PC and for the past 2 years, I have had no issues using it and modifying it. This past month, for some reason, my timecard was altered to a point when it is opened in a PC, it lost all it's formating, color and graphics and ability to do expanding and collapsing columns. On my Mac it looks like it supposed to look on a PC. We couldn't figure out what setting may have changed or what could have done it. My file was checked to see if it had been infected by any viruses. The only thing I could think of was a client sent me an Excel document. It may have upset my settings. The other thing is I take the timecard file home to fill in the time on my home G5. Maybe it was altered there.

The solution came when our admin took my file on my Mac and removed the .xls extension. We then placed it on the office server so she could access it via the network and open it on her PC. But first she retyped the .xls extension and it opened up fine and looked correct, with all the entries intact.

Anyone might know what happened?

Thanks! Nelson

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2006, 04:13 PM

i had the experience with Word. I created a doc with colums and when i opened in PC was all messy...
I'm using Word X in my Mac and in the PC is the previous version on office xp.
14" ibook g4 /1,42Ghz/60Gb/1,5Gb RAM!

Forum Links
Forum Rules