Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > AppleTV setup question

AppleTV setup question
ctbritt
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2007, 06:45 AM

Let's say I get an AppleTV (Just sayin')... And I run it to an HDMI receiver. (HDMI carries audio and video, right?) Then I only have to have a cable going to my TV... say, a composite cable if I have a crappy tv. (I assume the receiver will down convert it, yes?)

Now, with that simple set up, I should be able to stream video to the TV and plain ol' music from iTunes through the receiver, yes? Is that the way it works? Or would I have to have the TV on to listen to music?

The reason I ask, is that I'm hoping to ditch my Airport Express, since it's a 802.11g device, and I'd like to go 802.11n, only. (As well as start upgrading my A/V kit.)

Thoughts?
Christopher Allbritton
MacOS X 10.4.9, 2GB RAM, 15-in. 2.33 GHz MBP 2 CD
www.back-to-iraq.com

Parky
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 06:55 AM

You will have to have the TV on to use the Apple TV menus to select the music, etc.
You won't be able to select your music in iTunes like you do with the Airport Express.
It is the one thing that is putting me off buying the Apple TV to be honest.
I use the Airport Express to stream music from my iMac / iTunes all the time.
It would be a complete waste of power and backlight life of my LCD TV to have the TV on all the time just to use the Apple TV to select my music.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2007, 10:54 AM

I don't have any problem with my AppleTV on my mixed 802.11g & n network. I have the new AirPort Extreme N base station, three AirPort Express units (one each on two TiVos and one on an XBox 360 - can't get ethernet cable to the devices), two laptops that are both 802.11g, and the AppleTV (the only 802.11n device). The AppleTV connects at speeds between 65-104Mbit/sec according to the AirPort Utility, compared with 54Mbit/sec for the 802.11g devices (obviously). Streaming occurs without any hiccups.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2007, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by ctbritt View Post
Let's say I get an AppleTV (Just sayin')... And I run it to an HDMI receiver. (HDMI carries audio and video, right?) Then I only have to have a cable going to my TV... say, a composite cable if I have a crappy tv. (I assume the receiver will down convert it, yes?)
You really have to be carefull about this particular point. I recently changed my receiver for a Sony one with 3 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI ouput. It will upscale, but it will not downscale. The Yamaha receiver I checked while shopping also had this limitation. If you get an HD signal in the receiver, it will only be ouputed in HD through either Component (at HD resolution) or HDMI. It wil not downscale. I don't know why, but you can find many upscalers out ther, but downscalers are pretty hard to find.

Forum Links
Forum Rules