Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Adjust Contrast/Color settings

Adjust Contrast/Color settings
mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2007, 07:14 AM

Is there a place to adjust color/contrast (and other video related) settings in OS X?

I've been in the market for an LCD for a few weeks now, and I've tried several at offices and friend's to see how I like the color reproduction. I know there are reviews everywhere, but I need to see it with my own eye before I spend the money.

What I've noticed is that on my MBP screen, black isn't black, and that's just one of those things that is very important to me. If I'm watching a video with a pitch black scene... I should see black, and gray tones. Not gray tones and more gray tones.

So, long story short, how can I adjust my video settings? I'd like to run through a THX video test off of one of my DVDs. Its one of those quick painless ways to improve the pictue on any screen without having to shell out money for specialized discs.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 1, 2007, 10:34 AM

System Preferences --> Displays --> Color --> Calibrate.

Enjoy. I changed my calibration to a gamma of 2.2 and a white balance setting of D65, and everything just became so much richer, clearer and more attractive. It was frankly amazing.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2007, 11:21 AM

I bought a $100 Spyder 2 color calibration unit for my Mac(s). The difference was like night and day. Switching back to the default profile makes the screen image look simply disgusting.

Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2007, 11:40 AM

My iMac doesn't look ANY different with those settings

You can also set contrast to function keys. Weirdly, no little gray box (Like the ones for volume and brightness) pops up on screen like it does on CRTs.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 1, 2007, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
My iMac doesn't look ANY different with those settings

You can also set contrast to function keys. Weirdly, no little gray box (Like the ones for volume and brightness) pops up on screen like it does on CRTs.
It should-it does on both my MBP and my iMac.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2007, 12:46 PM

doesn't for me... it just heightens or lowers the contrst.

OreoCookie
Sep 1, 2007, 01:10 PM

You should invest $65 in a Color Spyder 2, it calibrates your screen automatically. If you are worried about color reproduction, this is the way to go.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules