Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > eBay disallows wildcard searches, thinks it's smarter than me

eBay disallows wildcard searches, thinks it's smarter than me
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 21, 2013, 12:58 PM

Some old news article.

This annoys me. When I'm searching for motorcycle parts, there are a lot of different ways a model could be written out; CB700SC, CB700S, CB700, CB 700S, Nighthawk 700, and on and on. I have specific searches set up to intelligently use wildcards and capture exactly what I'm looking for.

Now, eBay basically ignores my search terms and shows me what it thinks I want. So I'm looking for the front brake rotors from a CBR600F2. I can no longer put a asterisks in there to capture variants on that model. I can no longer put an asterisks after "rotor" to capture the singular and plural forms of that word. And if I search for CBR600f2 rotor, eBay shows me 1176 results, 98% of which are not for a CBR600f2, therefore useless to me.

I suppose this is useful for dumb people that can't spell, but it does me no good, and eBay has been the best place to find old motorcycle parts. Now it's just harder.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2013, 01:18 PM

I'd go down there with a baseball bat if I were you.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 21, 2013, 02:47 PM

If i were cynical, I'd posit that they thought they'd get more revenue from people buying the incorrect item and then returning to buy the correct one.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 21, 2013, 03:25 PM

Some people claim that eBay's search servers can't handle the additional load of wildcard searches but I'm not sure that I buy it. eBay used to not show anything if nothing matched the search terms, but they (and several other places that I've noticed) now show results matching only one (or part of one) of my search terms, not all of them. This leads to me seeing a bunch of stuff that I don't want. If I searched for "CB1000R headlight" I don't want to see headlights for a bunch of CBR600s, that's not what I searched for.

Forum Links
Forum Rules