Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Yet another sucky Logitech software thread

Yet another sucky Logitech software thread
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2007, 09:49 PM

(More of a rant than a real thread)

Why after all these years does the Logitech mouse/keyboard software still suck?
I mean, you'd think the Mac market must account for a reasonable amount of their bottom line to warrant a decent investment into Mac software R & D. But nope.

After the 5th kernel panic in as many weeks (in which the Logitech driver was implicated by the crash log), I've given up on the Logitech software for my Revolution VX mouse.

I'm back to USB Overdrive, and (hopefully) back to crash-free computing.

Oh, and one question. The "search" button on the Revolution VX mouse, which brings up Spotlight when used with the Logitech software, doesn't seem to correspond to any known button in USB Overdrive. All the other buttons map to typical buttons, but even though USB Overdrive goes all the way to button 16 or so, the "search" button doesn't trigger any of them. Anyone else have a similar issue with the Revolution VX or MX??

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2007, 02:24 PM

I have a Revolution MX and I love it. But the Logitech drivers were horrible. So I switched to SteerMouse and I couldn't be happier. Every single button works flawlessly with SteerMouse, and the middle scroll wheel is supported as well. I haven't used USB Overdrive with this mouse, but I can tell you SteerMouse works perfectly.

Longshanks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2007, 05:07 PM

I haven't had any crashing issues with Logitech's driver and my VX, just long delays after wake-up for clicks to be recognized. I believe this problem only exists in 10.4.8 so I'm Hoping the problem will be gone in 10.4.9.

I've gone back to using USB Overdrive, which I used with my previous mouse, but as you've stated, it doesn't recognize the search button. USB Overdrive hasn't been updated since February of 2006, before the VX came out, so I'm hoping that there will be an update soon that takes care of this.

JellyBeen
Senior User
Jan 30, 2007, 06:55 PM

I have the MX 700 and I use USB Overdrive.
Works perfectly!
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2007, 09:03 PM

I have an older logitech wireless KB/mouse combo and although the software isn't great it doesn't crash my computer or anything. I set up a few of the keyboard buttons, but not many. I only open the pref pane when I want to see how the batteries are doing.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

oneworld9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2007, 02:53 AM

i have a c2d macbook pro and have had similar black screen of death crashes recently after having installed the lcc 530.dmg software (evident in the crash reports showing the logitech kernel as the culprit). I am avoiding logitech software like the plague from now on.

I just wish there was a similar way to remap my alt and window keys, in such a way, that i didn't have to repeatedly go and change them back and forth each time i switch from laptop to desktop (as with DoubleCommand).

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2007, 09:22 AM

MX1000 + SteerMouse here. Love it.

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2007, 10:44 AM

The Logitech Harmony Desktop software is also a pile of suck. The pulldown menus in the configuration screens will not respond to mouse commands. Luckily the web-based interface works as advertised.

kuchiki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2007, 02:02 PM

As a Logitech fan I must say Logitech support is excellent...BUT only for PC users. As a PC user I never had problems with any mice and drivers. But with Mac the support is just awful. I have called the support twice. Once they suggested that I did something wrong (which I am pretty sure didn't). The second phone call was even more frustrating since the lady at the phone did exactly what I did and had also random kernel panics. So after countless forwarding to other departments all they had to say was "we'll look into it till then don't use the LCC". I mean I didn't but a VX Rev. that was pretty expensive to just use two buttons on it.
I recommend to any Logitech mouse owner to use Steermouse. It's the best generic mouse driver I have seen so far.

kuchiki
My newly created blog about the Macbook and home of iMountIt
News, Reviews, Tutorials, Giveaways and more.
Visit: Days of our Macbooks

Forum Links
Forum Rules