Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Windows GPUs in a Mac Pro?

Windows GPUs in a Mac Pro?
silverflyer
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2007, 01:06 PM

Can it be done, and if so, how?

I would like more than the X1900XT can offer in both OSX and Winblows.
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server
15 inch Macbook Pro Unibody and Apple 24 inch LED Display.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2007, 01:24 PM

There was a thread on this topic. I think people have had limited success, but I think you're basically limited to sticking with the GPUs Apple has provided drivers for already.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ReardenMetal
Baninated
Aug 10, 2007, 03:18 PM

The EFI is the problem. The people responsible for most windows->mac GPU flashes were the guys from strangedogs, but they've recently changed names. You can find them here now:

Welcome to The Mac Elite

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2007, 04:12 PM

Be sure to let Apple know that you are dissatisfied with the GPU options in their "top-of-the-line" machine:

Apple - Mac Pro - Feedback

I'm sure many of you could formulate something more eloquent and to the point but this is what I sent. I forgot to mention that they are setting a bad precedent in their towers with the laughable support for GPU options in the G5 PCI-x, the G5 PCI-e, then the Mac Pro PCI-e's. If those slots are only for audio and storage cards, why not put an Intel 950 on the motherboard and call it a day? Furthermore, why not just discontinue the towers and go to an all-laptop parts lineup like Jobs wants?

Please offer newer GPU options on your Mac Pro line. I have a Mac Pro with the standard 7300 card. I want to upgrade to a new card, yet the only upgrades available are the X1900 or the Quatro. All three of these cards are severely outdated. Even if I wanted to buy a brand new Mac Pro, there are no newer cards available!

Either offer in-house GPU upgrades and BTOs that are competetive with top-of-the-line GPUs available for Windows PC's or allow 3rd party cards to work. Most of the 3rd party cards are based on the reference designs from ATI and Nvidia anyways!

Apple hardware to-date, is the closest it has ever been to vanilla X86 hardware. So much that there is a cottage industry built around enabling OSX to work on non-apple hardware. Whats distressing is that someone who steals your OS and runs it on non Apple hardware has better GPU options than someone who pays for legitimate Apple hardware/software.
( Last edited by MaxPower; Aug 10, 2007 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Added content)

Forum Links
Forum Rules