Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Question with a jump drive/backing up computer

Question with a jump drive/backing up computer
earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2007, 09:09 PM

Question with a jump drive.

So if I need to backup everything on my computer, I just drag everything from the HD to the jump drive? And if I get more documents, and want to save them on the disk... can I drag the HD in again and the jump drive will automatically know which document is new?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2007, 09:13 PM

Everything? How big is your jump drive? If you mean documents and applications, just drag and drop them - settings are a bit more complicated.
If you get more documents, the easiest thing is just to drag your documents folder to the drive again, and it will ask you whether you want to replace existing copies or not.

If what you actually have is an external drive large enough to mirror your main drive, that's much better - you can use SuperDuper to duplicate the drive, and then have a bootable backup.

When Leopard gets here, it will backup automatically to an external drive.

earthlings  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2007, 09:19 PM

It's large enough to hold everything.
I don't have a lot of documents, because my pb crashed earlier this year which I lost everything because I didn't know how to backup everything or really thought of it.

Thanks for the reply, peeb.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2007, 09:23 PM

No problem - just dragging and dropping your docs folder will do it.

~bash $
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2007, 09:52 PM

If it can fit, it might be prudent to grab the Library folder in your home folder too. A lot of little things get put in there you might want to save. In fact, if you take your entire home folder and can fit it on the drive, you'll be in great shape.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2007, 03:31 AM

/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility > Restore
• drag your boot partition into the source field
• drag your external drive to the destination field
• hit restore

It will make a clone of your entire boot partition. This clone is bootable too, so if you happen to lose all your stuff (your drive goes bad, your Mac gets stolen, etc.) you just boot from the clone and clone back to a new drive or new Mac. It's included with every OS X installation for free.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2007, 03:47 AM

That would be ideal, but the OP is talking about a jump drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules