Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Want to buy an iphone, have questions about feasibility

Want to buy an iphone, have questions about feasibility
Lancer409
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2008, 01:32 PM

Hi, I have a AT&T plan, with no data service, and would like to purchase an iphone. I have a few questions that i'd like to throw out to you guys before i jump.

1) how hard is it to unlock / jailbreak an iphone so that i could use it with my current at&t sim card.
2) the iphone has a lot of data features, such as stocks/weather etc, things i do not want to use unless i'm at a wifi spot (since i dont have a data plan, i'm sure it'd be exorbitant) is there a way to set the iphone so it will not access anything that uses data, unless i am at a wifi hotspot?
3) how reverseable is it? I would like to be able to reset it in the event that i need to get it repaired if anything happens (failed touchscreen sensor, glitch ... whatever)

i recently had a high end sony ericsson grey market phone that died on me. sony says 90 business days...
i'm not happy with that response on a top of the line phone, even if it's a grey market phone, i think that if a consumer shells out major cash for your top of the line phone, you should treat them better, grey market or not. I figure apple will give me better service (they've never dissapointed me in the past (owned a powerbook, a mbp, and 5 ipods for the family) and since I'm in San Francisco, i'm near so many apple stores I can always drop by with questions or anything else.

i've had service on my powerbook and one of my ipods, and i'm very happy with the turnaround and service i've received.

so ... would an iphone work out for my needs?

Thank you guys so very very much. I'm kinda stuck without a phone, and i dont know too much about the iphone since i never thought i would consider it (price/dataplan etc)

any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
( Last edited by Lancer409; Apr 17, 2008 at 01:38 PM. )

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2008, 03:27 PM

Unlocking and jailbreaking, along with returning it to "stock" should not be that hard. There are so many detailed instructions out there on how to do it, including on YouTube that it isn't funny.

As for turning off EDGE, not sure on how to do that. What I have done, and I didn't need to do it, was move the stuff like Stocks and what not to a second page of the main screen. I don't use that stuff often, so I moved it.

As for the data, unlimited is only $20 a month more. I use it, probably not as much as WiFi, but it is nice to have it when there is no WiFi.
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2008, 07:17 PM

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2008, 10:59 AM

thats awesome! and the you tube video really helps! now, just need to get my hands on one! i love how easy the vid made disabling edge. i was afraid i'd click on weather, and have it running in the background running up data on a non existant data plan. =D

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2008, 11:23 AM

Weather doesn't run in the background "running up data."

Nearly every application on the iPhone only runs when specifically asked. Safari, stock, weather, and maps do not run unless they are in the foreground. Al those apps quit when you switch to another app. When they quit, they save exactly where you are. It looks like they stay open (in the "background") because they open and close very quickly.

QS

Forum Links
Forum Rules