Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Restore iCal from Time Machine on new HDD

Restore iCal from Time Machine on new HDD
Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2009, 04:16 AM

Hey Guys, I searched, but wasn't able to find a solution, so I hope you guys can help me out.

I backed up my mbp via Time Machine to an external drive.
I then installed a larger HDD in my mbp.
unfortunately, I didn't backup my iCal before changing the harddrive, so I am curious if I can in some way get my iCal information dumped into the iCal that is on my new hdd.

i dont want to just transfer everything from my old osx isntall since there is a bunch of junk on it, and i rather have the clean start. I only want my iCal installed. Everything else I am happy with.

Please let me know! a million thanks!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2009, 04:45 AM

Navigate to this folder: ~/Library/Application Support/iCal/Sources to find the iCal database. Then go into TM and copy the relevant files.

(~ means your account home folder)

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2009, 01:50 PM

thank you soo much for the assist.

i went to that directory on my newly installed leopard setup, and it doesnt exist. i did find it in time machine, but when i copied it over to the correct directory, nothing happened. i found that if i dig through the files, i can open the files individually and add each item/date individually, but it wasn't in the correct category etc... so it was do-able, but messy.

i would have to go back and re create the fields, and change the fields one by one (to home/work/school/extra hours/birthdays/misc etc

like a jackass, i was rummaging in my time machine backup today, and i found a icbu file. iCal backup ....

it looks like i did back it up before running off to get the hard drive swapped, but in a rush, i failed to put it into the "BACKUP" folder that was sitting on the desktop. what a moron.

double clicking the field restored everything back to normal (after popping up a message saying it would restore/reset and asking if it was ok.

woooot ... love the laptop again! so much space, and a bit snappier. just waiting on snow leopard now.

Thanks again!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2009, 01:51 PM

p.s.

I love time machine!

my only concern now.

Laptop = 500gb
my time machine hdd = 250gb.

Forum Links
Forum Rules