Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How to win friends and influence people with the iBook

How to win friends and influence people with the iBook
Commodus
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2002, 08:22 AM

You want to see one way to convince someone that Macs are nice systems? Take a look at what happened with me this weekend.

My stepfather is an interesting blend: he's an IT security consultant, but also still "human" in that he likes to enjoy computers (and life!) outside of what he does at work. As such he can be serious about one aspect of his computing (usually security) while also interested in having fun with another.

So when he decided to get a laptop, this sort of paradox existed: he wanted something he could lock down reasonably well (if he's taking this laptop into the field, after all, he doesn't want it to compromise anyone else), but also one that would be good for entertainment without sacrificing portability.

We ended up checking out a LOT of laptops, mostly Windows-based models (for obvious reasons). We checked out Compaq, HP, IBM... yes, even Dell. But in most cases they were either clunky, overkill (IBM Canada's website won't actually let you setup a T-series to go with just a Combo drive by itself - you need two drives!), or not very conducive to what my stepfather wanted to do with it.

Me being something of a Mac advocate, I of course nudged him towards looking at an iBook or Powerbook, and when he looked at the two at a campus computer store, he was very much interested in the iBook. He really liked how well the 12" screen worked with OS X, and from a brief demo of the interface, he was intrigued enough that (by the end of that night) he was basically set on an iBook 800.

His iBook just arrived on Friday, and it was then that things really started to gel for him in terms of his reaction.

First: he was shocked at how quickly he was able to get most of the necessary software on to his iBook. Where it seemed like it took a good deal of a day to get his Windows desktop ready, he was done in a fraction of the time with his Mac. Norton Internet Security installed very quickly, so much so that he was almost waiting for it to ask him to do something else.

iTunes 3 also impressed him to no end. On his Windows-based PC, where he normally tunes in with Windows Media Player 8, Internet radio stations invariably seem to take awhile to cue up, and they're not always all that accessible. However, even with the firewall installed, iTunes started playing a given station instantly - and he also liked how iTunes, like many OS X apps, can have its window closed while still being active. It can literally get out of the way if you want it to, but you can bring it back up to full size if you need it.

I was at his house last night, and like many people do we spent hours getting acquainted with it - but the majority of that was in exploring, not with any attempts to fight the computer (as there really weren't any)!

If you want to sell someone on a Mac, then, it will help a great deal if you simply show it to them in person and run key apps. My stepfather still has to get used to OS X, but he's been considering an iMac in the future...

Raidiant
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2002, 11:35 AM

I get various reactions when I show my mac to people, I realize many people really admire macs, but they are forced to windows because of games, if only stupid microsoft let developers develope for macs too, instea dof using a enclosed system, damn monopoly

sniffer
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2002, 11:47 AM

Quite intresting story. Seen the same thing my self. During the last year I've had my iBook Apple got two new swichers just because they got a chance to look at mine.
Pretty neat.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2002, 01:44 PM

Yup, happened here too, two new switchers because they've had the possibility to "testdrive" my Mac.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2002, 04:23 PM

i almost sold a person to an ibook. He was pretty close to getting. But his grandpa ended up buying him a Toshiba.... even though he wanted an ibook...

poo..
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

slider
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2002, 04:34 PM

Damn grandparents and their PC drugs, when will the madness stop, oh the horror.

Good story be the way. I have a 466 and to be quiet honest, it's not as impressive as a new iBook. I always find myself saying "and this system is 2-3 years old". It runs if find, but it doesn't grab you like a really smooth running OSX.

appledude83
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2002, 06:05 PM

Yeah my roomate is a PC die hard guy, but he hasn't used a Mac since like 1992. I'm gonna show him my new iBook and see what he thinks.

iBook 800/640MB/30GB

ringo
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2002, 01:38 PM

I get similar responses to my iBook when I use it out in public. I was a vendor at a show a few weeks ago, and all the other vendors kept coming to our table to see my Mac because it looked so small and lightweight. Another person who I work with is considering getting one too, also because of the small size.

andycroll
Dec 10, 2002, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by ringo:
I get similar responses to my iBook when I use it out in public. I was a vendor at a show a few weeks ago, and all the other vendors kept coming to our table to see my Mac because it looked so small and lightweight. Another person who I work with is considering getting one too, also because of the small size.
All I get from PC owning friends is...

"My next computer is a Mac"

It's the ease of use thing, because of the controlled hardware + software combination. There's less headaches in installing things. Plus they look frickin pretty. Which helps if you're shallow. AND we get only the best of the games from the PC world (admittedly a bit later - but let those fools shed money on crappy software) and frankly (going OT here) buy a PS2 of Xbox to play games on for goodness sake!

Oh my god. I just took part in an 'I love Macs' thread.

Andy
Powerbook (G4-1GHz)
iPod mini (4GB)

don_thomaso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2002, 01:08 PM

I was in a similar situation as your stepfather. I travel much, and I want a small and yet powerful computer that can play dvds and do most of the things I use my desktop for.

I also went through dozens of PC laptops but none met my requirements. I nearly gave up when I went to a store and saw an iBook. I was in love . I called my a friend who has an iBook and borrowed it for a couple of days. I love the details, the blinking light on the front when it sleeps, the design, the charger..everything.

The very next day I called Apple and ordered an iBook 12", 800mhz.
My iBook is arriving next week, can't wait to get my hands on it!

My name is Thomas and I'm a student

Sosa
Senior User
Dec 14, 2002, 06:05 PM

My name is Thomas and I'm a student
Good job Thomas!

I'm also a student who doesn't have to work too hard to impress people with my iBook. Only two students out of ~60 have iBooks but our iBooks are by far the best looking computers out there! A few of those PC users, who didn't actually have a say in what computer they wanted, now want Macs.
Let's hope this is a sign of an increase in market share for Apple!
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Forum Links
Forum Rules