Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Will Apple keep the iBook?

View Poll Results: iBook versus 12" PowerBook: who survives?
Poll Options:
The 12" PowerBook will ultimately wipe out the iBook 5 votes (12.82%)
The iBook stays, but it'll be much closer to the PowerBook 5 votes (12.82%)
Apple will find a way to make the iBook more distinct - iBook forever! 28 votes (71.79%)
Couldn't really say one way or the other... 1 votes (2.56%)
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll
Will Apple keep the iBook?
Commodus
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2003, 12:09 AM

The 12" PowerBook was something of a surprise to me (and probably many others), since I figured that the iBook was going to hold on to the 12" throne for a long while. But now, if you're willing to pay the premium, you can get a sort of "revenge of the iBook SE" with a G4, 802.11g networking, even the option of a Superdrive. I think there are quite a few hardcore iBook users who'd gladly use a 12" PowerBook, since it lets them get most of the features they'd otherwise miss.

Do you think the iBook will hang on in some form or another, or will it end up being nullified if/when the 12" PowerBook isn't as expensive as it is now?
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Atef's Carcase
Banned
Location: In Berlin, hangin' with the Lackey of Saddam, Gerhardt Schr�der.
Jan 13, 2003, 12:55 AM

Apple's product grid is very clear.

Professionals will opt for the powerbook line, as it contains certain features that the consumer line lacks.

I am not a professional, but I would prefer the 12" powerbook, as I like the higher-end features. But if one is a regular Joe Student, he might prefer the iBook.

appledude83
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2003, 01:10 AM

Well I'm not sure what direction Apple will take with the iBook but I'm sure it will stick around. Not everybody needs a G4 pro grade computer. Plus while the new 12 inch powerbook is cheap it's nowhere near the entry level iBook at 999 bucks.

iBook 800/640MB/30GB

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jan 13, 2003, 03:19 AM

I'd say the iBook is definitely going to stay around. I imagine that it will soon get another new enclosure as the powerbook is now, and then when the powerbooks move to whatever is the new processor, iBooks will go G4. In fact they may just give 3 levels of the current powerbook 12" and call it an iBook.. for that matter they might as well have called it a dual USB iBook Special Edition for the moment!

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2003, 07:02 AM

The 12" iBook is great...... for those looking to spend $1800. (side note: I'll probably own one with a SuperDrive by the end of this year. I don't know how long I can resist! )

Regardless of what happens in the PowerBook line, Apple still needs something to fill the sub-$1500 price ranges, which the iBook does quite nicely.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2003, 05:05 PM

The iBook is the iBook it's been a major part of apple's product line... the name it'self is just to big to let die. Most likely the iBook in the next year or so will move up to a G4 one revision or two before the Power Book moves to PPC 970, there will always be a speed difference for the power book users... they pay more than the iBook users... and there are some features iBook owners don't need.
Like Firewire 800 will probably be in one of the next PB 12inch revs where was it probably won't hit the iBook any time soon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules