Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Concepts for a major 2003 iBook revision

Concepts for a major 2003 iBook revision
Commodus
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2003, 02:01 AM

Scarily enough, it's been almost 2 years since the iBook saw its last major revision. While the current design has a lot going for it still, it's also losing some of its advantages: laptops are getting lighter and lasting longer. The main advantage is the cost of the 12" model in relation to other systems in its class.

The main challenge is definitely the Centrino tecnology that Intel is getting into a lot of laptops in the near future. It's not all that cheap, but it's promising to offer people Windows systems that don't have to be mind-numbingly slow - or heavy - in order to have decent battery life (traditionally, the x86 PC market has always been one or the other).

So with the iBook ready for a serious update at just the right time, what does Apple do? Here's a few things I think that we ought to see in the next iBook:

1. A lighter, smaller, thinner case... the 12" PowerBook is a step in the right direction, but it also has to contend with a G4, built-in Bluetooth, and so on, so it's somewhat limited. The iBook is supposed to be "truly mobile" (as Jonathan Ives said back in 2001), so it makes sense that the new iBook would manage to be even smaller than the 12" PowerBook. A G3 shouldn't run as hot as a G4, after all, so a big fan and the room to circulate air isn't as necessary.

2. A significant system performance increase beyond just a higher clock speed. The iBook has only sped up a total of 300 MHz in its lifetime (from 500 to 800); Apple needs to start kicking into high gear to keep the iBook going. I'm NOT suggesting that they go with the G4 (battery life can be affected), though. Rather, I think we ought to see a jump to 1 GHz and a 133 MHz system bus (finally!) so that the system has room to breathe.

3. A highly efficient battery, more than anything else, is what would sell the iBook. The iBook gets good life already, but it now has to compete with Centrino models, some of which have massive increases in expected battery life. The IBM T40, albeit with an extra-large battery, gets 6-7 hours! We should be seeing a 12" iBook that gets about that much, and a 14" that gets yet more.

Those are my ideas so far. Does anyone else have things they think would be important to see in the iBook (besides the obvious, like AirPort Extreme)?
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2003, 04:55 AM

a 16x CDRW burner... that isn't really just a 4x burner.

-r.

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Mar 13, 2003, 05:11 AM

1. Maybe a smaller design, (foot print if you will). Make it a bit lighter, that would be cool.

Keep the two screen sizes

mabye 800 Mhz and 1 Ghz.

I would slap bluetooth in there and Airport Extreme

Maybe same GPU as the 12". 420 go is a pretty good chip, I can play UT pretty well. With about 40 fps on high quality

GRAHAMUK
Mar 13, 2003, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by GlobalNomad:
1. Maybe a smaller design, (foot print if you will). Make it a bit lighter, that would be cool.

Hard to see how it could be much smaller and still have a usable keyboard. A bit thinner maybe, though I've no complaints in that area anyway. The screen could be larger within the existing form factor, the border can be reduced quite a bit if necessary.

I know it's a way off, but Apple (as industry innovator) could be first to the consumer market with a fuel-cell battery. The goal has to be a full day's work (and that's real work, not watching DVDs or idling) per charge surely. I don't really care how they do it, as long as it gets done. CPUs are way too wasteful of power at the moment, though it's hard to see a way to solve that.

As for speed - as much as possible please ;-)

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2003, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by GRAHAMUK:
Hard to see how it could be much smaller and still have a usable keyboard. A bit thinner maybe, though I've no complaints in that area anyway. The screen could be larger within the existing form factor, the border can be reduced quite a bit if necessary.
The footprint could be made no narrower, well about 1mm on each side of the keyboard. I am hoping there will be bluetooth added and a 1Ghz G3. Thats all. Not too much to ask eh?
we don't have time to stop for gas

iamnid
Senior User
Mar 13, 2003, 10:32 PM

"Hard to see how it could be much smaller and still have a usable keyboard."

Really? I didn't have any trouble seeing the 12" powerbook.

Applefreak01
Senior User
Mar 14, 2003, 02:47 AM

" 2. A significant system performance increase beyond just a higher clock speed. The iBook has only sped up a total of 300 MHz in its lifetime (from 500 to 800); Apple needs to start kicking into high gear to keep the iBook going. I'm NOT suggesting that they go with the G4 (battery life can be affected), though. Rather, I think we ought to see a jump to 1 GHz and a 133 MHz system bus (finally!) so that the system has room to breathe."

I think the iBook has gained more CPU power than you stated. I used to own a 300MHz clamshell. Unless you are talking about just the "dual USB" models.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

NETTEN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2003, 03:06 PM

My opinion is:

G3 1GB or G4 867MB
superdrive
12.1" and 14.1"
40GB HD
bluetooth and airport extreme
better video card

Seems like PB? but PB will update soon right, especially for the 15". so ibook will take the place.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2003, 04:11 PM

Netter we wouldn't want a 1GB iBook... the iBook had a 3 giga byte hard drive when the clam shell blueberry and tangerine moddels came out... unless you're reffering to max ram which I dout... what seems more likely is you're not typing Ghz propperly

But I think that the Gobi 1Ghz G3s should DEFFINATELY show up in this next rev. I think they shouldn't neccicarly drop the size, but simply use it better. Bring in only one moddel a 13 inch one with a resolution that goes beyond 1024/768 so you can fix more on your screen. Those who still want a TINY laptop will probably end up with the power book anyway.
As for thinness it'll probably still be thicker than an inch but light. Apple really doesn't need to make the iBook ultra thin that's what the power book sare for, and as per my understanding... the IBM thinkpads are no where near the iBook's price range. That's more something to say hey get a low power PPC 970 in there...

As for the iBook... I honestly am hopeing for an iBook like design... I'm wondering if they might even dare to put in some sort of arm like screen adjusting part... I dout it though.
But some sort of crome/aluminum highlights, on a white notebook... although my friend cody has been yelling at me THEY"D BETTER BRING BACK THE COLOUR!
Anyway.. yeah... they could always just jack up the battery size, esspecially if they move to a 13 inch screen. Also they should be able to cram in AE and bluetooth no prob.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2003, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
Bring in only one moddel a 13 inch one with a resolution that goes beyond 1024/768 so you can fix more on your screen. Those who still want a TINY laptop will probably end up with the power book anyway.
*shakes head*
Why would a 13" have a resolution higher than 1024, when the 14" would only have 1024?
Besides the normal student doesn't realy need a resolution higher than 1024, most sites etc are optimized for 1024.
I think -
Same size screens & resolution
1Ghz G3
30GB HD
256Mb ram
Combo Drive OR DVD drive
Bluetooth
Airport extreme.
It may be put in a new casing, like the current iBook only the front would be of a different colour, or somthing like that

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2003, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:
*shakes head*
Why would a 13" have a resolution higher than 1024, when the 14" would only have 1024?
*shake back*

Why not? I suppost he means that the 13" iBook would be the only form factor.

Commodus  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2003, 07:09 PM

You know one thing that I've thought would be cool? The rumour was floating around several months ago or more, but the talk was of making a 14" widescreen iBook. That way you could have a laptop that is more unique and really does give more useable screen space (a resolution like 1152x768 or 1280x800, for example). I know that I might have gone for a 14" iBook instead of a 15" PowerBook had that been the case (pardon the pun) back in December.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2003, 10:38 PM

The 14 inch runs at 1024/768 so does the 12 inch!
it's how many pixels not the inchs. But you can fit more on a bigger screen. There is no valid reason why the 14 inch iBooks run at 1024/768.

jfinete
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2003, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
There is no valid reason why the 14 inch iBooks run at 1024/768.
You must be young and have 20/20 vision

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2003, 08:04 AM

I reckon the same screen sizes, the 14" will be able to go to 1152x768 and the 12" will stay at 1024x768. I doubt there will be any screen size changes.

Kaatoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2003, 12:02 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:

THEY"D BETTER BRING BACK THE COLOUR!

No, Pleeeaassse No, not the colour!!!

Not another tangerine notebook! Everytime I see a picture of it, I am reminded of my reaction at the time: "Ronald McDonald would really like this."

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2003, 12:18 AM

To add my two cents, I would luv to see a much improved battery life, higher bus speeds, and an option for a superdrive. And while I am dreaming, a more scratch-resistant outer shell (minor point... but still).

- Pat
24"2.33Ghz iMac, 500G Hdisk, running OS 10.5; iPhone 3G 16G

Quadra
Mar 18, 2003, 02:27 PM

While an "upgrade" to the ibook would always be welcome, Apple would do much better working on the design flaws in the existing model, than to continually "enhance" product flaws.

To point: A rather "stinky" problem with the 2001-2002 models reference to inferior motherboards has surfaced (well, actually it's been out a while), but now gaining momentum with macfixit and apple even admitting a problem with a large majority of these models. The problems with pinched video cables, shorted boards has been well documented for a couple of years now. Whether they have to take this one back to the boards, I don't know, but they will need to look into it - it won't go away.

Yes, I have had the problems on two books. In speaking with an apple tech last night I got (for the first time), an admission of the problem, whether "authorized" of not, which is different than the reponses before. The comment was that "apple is concerned, and looking into the problem".

On the upgrade once design flaws have been addressed, I don't think you'll see more than possible AP extreme and maybe a up on the G3 to 1ghz, and at least combo on all models.

Actually, I like a lot of people I've talked to think the 12 PB is a "demo" of sorts to test the waters. Today Apple "removed" the consumer (799), imac off it's site - possibly a move to a more business/mature look. Once it proves its market value I see the price on it will come down - in effect confirming what most thought all along - it is the NEW ibook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules