Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New ipods

New ipods
King_Rat
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2003, 11:08 AM

How are the new ipods? I was thinking about getting one and wondering if there are any problems that I should know about. Thanks!
-King Rat

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2003, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by King_Rat:
How are the new ipods? I was thinking about getting one and wondering if there are any problems that I should know about. Thanks!
How about trying out Macnn Forums search function....

King_Rat  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2003, 06:28 PM

Since apple released updated ipods with larger drives on september 8th I wanted to know if there are any problems with them. I looked through the past few weeks of items found when searching for ipod, but did not find what I am after.
Have the new ipods had a high failure rate? Is there a problem with any of the drives used in them? Did you by an ipod and wish that you had not? If so, why? Would you recomend some other MP3 player over ipod? This is the type of thing that I want to know, but I am sorry if this thread is out of place.
-King Rat

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 07:42 PM

I had a 30gb model, but upped to the 40gb when it shipped. It seems a little larger physically, but still fits my 3rd party case ok. After playing with a 3G 15GB model it seems LARGE tho... The backlight is blue on my new one, that was nice. Besides that, it works as well as my old 3G 30GB model. I'd say get one.

FXWizard
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2003, 07:58 PM

I bought a 30GB last week, and the only "problem" I have is in getting used to the touch-sensitive controls as I tend to over-compensate when using them...oh, and having to buy new accessories (case, car power adaptor) because the old ones don't work with it.

King_Rat  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2003, 09:53 AM

Thank's for your replies. I decided to go ahead and get an ipod. My old sony CD player has been dieing for awhile now, and I am sick of it. It sometimes plays sound on only speaker (no, it is not a loose connection), and when I hit the skip track button it often switches to single track mode. I guess it thinks that, if I tell it to skip the track I must mean that I want to lisiten to that track forever. I hope that the ipod works better and lasts longer than the sony CD player did. It should, for what I am paying for it.
-King Rat

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 11:44 AM

Get a case for the iPod! The Apple one is so so. The good news is I sold my Apple Case on eBay for $25, and bought a nice full wrap one for $30. (also, eBay). The wrap one covers the whole iPod, provides a belt clip, and access to the controls.

King_Rat  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2003, 09:27 PM

OK, I ordered my ipod on 10/13/02, and it shipped on the 16 (2-day shipping). It has not yet arrived. I checked with airborne and found that it left Shanghi on the 16, but is currently stuck in customs. Has anyone else had this happen? While I can see that customs may delay it a bit, I think that this is too much. It should not take 5 days for a simple package to clear. Or am I nuts and customs is supposed to take this long?
-King Rat

darkhawk64
Oct 22, 2003, 01:14 AM

King_Rat-
I am in the exact same boat as you are in waiting for your iPod (I'm getting the 20gb, which one are you getting?) However, calling today provided me with answers previous calls in previous days had not given me. Airborne tracking is a POS. They can't track international shipments, and they only start tracking it once it hits the "home" facility. So, according to Apple, you should receive it within 5 business days. I ordered the 2 day shipping and when it wasn't going to arrive in that period Apple credited my account the for the $8. I wasn't happy, but that is all they are willing to do.

One other thing. All shipping times are local to China. So, when it says that it shipped on 10/16, it was actually shipped on 10/15. Just out of curiosity, what is the time on your original shiment? Mine is 10:27 AM so if our times are the same our iPods may be keeping each other comfy! I'm still mad that Apple has to ship a *stock* item from freakin' China!!!! WTF? I'm getting mad now, but it's good to hear that someone else is in my boat, too.
jared
"You don't cuddle up to Max Power. You just strap yourself on and feel the Gs."
-Homer Simpson from "The Simpsons"

King_Rat  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 11:20 AM

Mine left china at 7:31 PM on 10/15/2003, which should be 10/16 U.S.A time (assuming that I did the time changes right). I ordered an engraved 40GB, so I expected it to take a bit longer for them to get it ready to ship, but I got 2 day shipping, so I thought that it would arrive about 2 days after they shipped it. Boy was I wrong. Also, to add insult to injury, Apple shipped the car power supply adapter that I ordered with the ipod after the ipod shipped, and it has already arrived. On the bright side, the airborne tracking page does say something new, though I don't know what it means. Here it is: "10/21/03 4:30 pm Picked Up by Airborne. Shipper's Door." You have any idea what this means?
-King Rat

darkhawk64
Oct 22, 2003, 11:27 AM

The shipper's door thing just means that it has changed hands officially from Apple to Airborne. I have no idea why Airborne is tracking something if it's not in their hands, but I don't know a lot of things about Airborne, including why they suck so much. I'm told that their system updates daily around 9:30 Am (no clue what time zone that is), and as of yesterday that package is being "monitored" for me (one person offered that option, so Airborne will call me with daily updates). I hope they actually call me with useful info, but that would be holding them to a high standard. My guess (and very optimistic hope) is that my iPod is at the local station and on schedule for delivery today. I doubt this is the case, and will have to wait another day for this horrible experience to end.
jared

darkhawk64
Oct 22, 2003, 01:33 PM

I just got an update from Airborne's website. It was just processed at a sort facility in Wilmington, OH. Apparently I will not be getting my iPod today, but rathher tomorrow looks like the day. I sure hope so, because if not then I'm going to have to go off on someone over it. Not something I want to do. We'll see what happens.
jared

EvanV
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 02:33 PM

Myn shipped on the 20th and I got it yesterday (well today, since I wasn't home when FedEx came). Charging it right now!!!!

darkhawk64
Oct 23, 2003, 01:12 PM

Excellent news for me! My iPod is out for delivery. By 5 PM I'm gonna be one happy camper. King_Rat, I hope you're in the same boat as me. Good luck.
jared

mishap
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 08:14 PM

I got a 15gb model and the buttons were way to sensitive more my tastes...i then upgraded to a 40gig and the buttons seem to work as they are suppose to now. Before i could hover my finger above the forward button and it would start playing the next song.

Overall i am very happy with my 40gb ipod..especially after the 2.1 update....works as desired.

been having lots of fun with the music quiz game too.

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2003, 10:09 PM

I just upgraded from an original 5 to the 40 and I must say that the 2.x software is a great improvement. The 40's also are in fact a little smaller than the original 5's, but because of the rounded edges, they feel much smaller.

iPod navigation under 2.0 is much faster. I don't much like the button layout, but the touch sensitive scroll wheel is not as bad as I thought it would be.

I don't really like the recessed buttons, either. There should have been a better way of making the buttons tactile while not making it seem like they were punched out of a top piece of plastic.

Has anyone noticed whether dirt gets trapped in the edges of the buttons? Just curious. It seems like the iPod might be hard to clean because of the sharp edges around the buttons.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Forum Links
Forum Rules