Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMac G5 20" Pics

New iMac G5 20" Pics
PBG4 User
Senior User
Sep 25, 2004, 08:21 PM

I didn't know if there was a thread specifically for iMac delivery pics so I made my own.

Click here for the good stuff. Booyah! --> http://dtibs.home.comcast.net/iMacG5
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

Finrock
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2004, 08:46 PM

Thank you for posting those! I'm still waiting for my 20" to get delivered, its always good to live vicariously through people with new iMacs!
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

PBG4 User  (op)
Senior User
Sep 25, 2004, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by Finrock:
Thank you for posting those! I'm still waiting for my 20" to get delivered, its always good to live vicariously through people with new iMacs!
Tee hee! I know exactly how you feel.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2004, 11:07 PM

Nice setup. I see that you left out the pictures of you putting together the new furniture! That had to be at least a six-pack job!!!

A question, please. Does the migration utility move over all your applications too? Do you have to reinstall them? Are there problems with stuff like Office and Photoshop that have serialed installs?

Darn guy at the Apple store told me it wouldn't take over apps - but it clearly looks like it does based upon your photos...

PBG4 User  (op)
Senior User
Sep 25, 2004, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by danbrew:
Nice setup. I see that you left out the pictures of you putting together the new furniture! That had to be at least a six-pack job!!!

A question, please. Does the migration utility move over all your applications too? Do you have to reinstall them? Are there problems with stuff like Office and Photoshop that have serialed installs?

Darn guy at the Apple store told me it wouldn't take over apps - but it clearly looks like it does based upon your photos...
I'd still be putting the furniture together if I stopped to take pictures of that! I completely disassembled the first desk, then assembled the second desk.

My programs were brought over in the migration. Office seems to work OK, but I did make sure to remove the Office 2004 test drive first (I have Office v.X). My photo & music catalogs moved over without a hitch as well.

Basically it was like booting up my laptop again except I had a faster computer with a larger screen. That was really cool to me.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 03:53 AM

Congrats on the new machine. I'd be stoked!

Your best pics were the screenshots of the migration utility. That's a handy way to move stuff from an old machine to a new one. Enjoy your new iMac.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

AliP
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2004, 12:57 PM

The migration utility is cool, does the new iMac come with a firewire cable?
I am still waiting on my 20" G5, but looking at your piccys has at least stopped me checking my r-mail and order status every 2 mins
KRO
Ali P

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by danbrew:
My new G5 brought over everything from my G4. The only thing it had trouble with was the Macromedia MX 2004 suite, which uses product activation. It brought the apps and prefs over, but I had to reactivate. And it didn't carry over my printers, which I thought was kind of an obvious thing to miss. But otherwise, booting up the new machine was just like booting up the old. Same desktop pattern, same icons in the Dock, everything just where I left it. Saved me hours.

Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by PBG4 User:
I didn't know if there was a thread specifically for iMac delivery pics so I made my own.

Click here for the good stuff. Booyah! --> http://dtibs.home.comcast.net/iMacG5
Cool pictures.. I did the similiar as yours.. check it out:

http://homepage.mac.com/mattklusza/PhotoAlbum17.html

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2004, 04:06 PM

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 04:14 PM

The 20" looks more in proportion than the 17 inch Which was the opposite on the G4.
iamwhor3hay

PBG4 User  (op)
Senior User
Sep 26, 2004, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by Matt OS X:
Cool pictures.. I did the similiar as yours.. check it out:

http://homepage.mac.com/mattklusza/PhotoAlbum17.html
Ha ha, I checked out those pics while I was still on the waiting list.

Looks like your box made it to you in better condition then mine did.

How do you like it so far? I'm trying to figure out where to get more RAM as 256MB isn't cutting it. I got Final Cut Express 2 and that won't even start w/o at least 384MB.

pantalaimon
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2004, 05:29 PM

does the new imac come with a firewire cable? i'm still waiting for my imac 20", placed my order 2 days ago
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

PBG4 User  (op)
Senior User
Sep 26, 2004, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by pantalaimon:
does the new imac come with a firewire cable? i'm still waiting for my imac 20", placed my order 2 days ago
No, it does not. The only cable it comes with is a phone cable for the built-in MODEM. I have some firewire cables from other devices so I used one of them.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2004, 08:06 PM

Data migration question: Does it pop up on first boot or is it a program you can run?

I could really use that program right now.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

PBG4 User  (op)
Senior User
Sep 26, 2004, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Data migration question: Does it pop up on first boot or is it a program you can run?

I could really use that program right now.
It ran on first boot for me. I don't know if there is a way to run this program independently.

Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by pantalaimon:
Nope, I used the Firewire wire from my iSight.

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by PBG4 User:
It ran on first boot for me. I don't know if there is a way to run this program independently.
there is. if you go to finder and in help ask, "how do I use target disk mode?" and it will tell you how to transfer information at any time when you need to, when you want to, or when you are bored.
iamwhor3hay

darkhawk64
Sep 27, 2004, 02:19 AM

There is also a program in the Utilities folder called "Setup Assistant". Run this and it'll let you get back to the data transfer screen.
jared
"You don't cuddle up to Max Power. You just strap yourself on and feel the Gs."
-Homer Simpson from "The Simpsons"

PBG4 User  (op)
Senior User
Sep 27, 2004, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by darkhawk64:
There is also a program in the Utilities folder called "Setup Assistant". Run this and it'll let you get back to the data transfer screen.
jared
Thanks! I had forgotten where the Setup Assistant hides out on the hard drive.

PeterKG
Senior User
Sep 28, 2004, 01:28 PM

I had ordered an iMac from Apple online to take advantage of the built in BT. But then I realized I would be running one cable from the back for my printer and scanner that use a hub, and I could plug the D-Link BT adapter into my hub. So I bought the iMac from the Mission Viejo Apple Store. I already had the wireless keyboard and mouse. I installed two 512MB dimms, and that was all I needed.

Set up was a breeze. I did have two download the Bluetooth firmware updater so that the mouse and keyboard would work properly and be able to wake up the computer. I first wiped the drive and did my own install. I didn't bother with the setup assistant although it looks to be very easy to do. The iMac runs through a pairing process with the mouse and keyboard that was seemless and typical Apple.

While installing all my applications, etc. it started to blow like a Hoover, and I was worried that that was the "whisper quiet". After I completed my installations, I shut down and zapped the pram. The fans have been nothing but whisper quiet since. The computer seems very "snappy" and the display is beautiful, bright and crisp. No dead or stuck pixels. The only problem was my box was beat to hell, and the keyboard that came with it is wet inside it's packaging!! I will take it back for an exchange but wonder how I will explain it was like that out of the box.

I would recommend this computer and will answer any questions if you might have any.

http://homepage.mac.com/petergrether/
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

Parky
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 07:59 AM

Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2004, 01:43 PM

Matt OS X how long have you had that desk for. I just built it for my GF and it seems pretty flimsy (not to mention it was a pain in the ass to put together). Great photos people and if you don't already know here's the picture thread where these babies belong.

Picture thread.

NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2004, 03:18 PM

20" 1.8GHz G5, 1GB RAM, 250GB HD, AE, BT.

I should put this in the iMac Picture Thread though... I'll have a link to the setup photo page I put on my iDisk there.

iMac Picture Thread

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2004, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by murbot:
I should put this in the iMac Picture Thread though... I'll have a link to the setup photo page I put on my iDisk there.
[See picture above]

Green Monster: What is this?
iMac G5: I am an iMac G5, latest and greatest computer ever made.
GM: Pale as a white ghost. Slim as a cut board. I can knock you down easily.
G5: I dare you! My GeForce 5200 Ultra can crush you like a bug.
GM: What is that?
G5: Most powerful GPU the money can buy!
GM: Mmmmmm... (Angry).

....... GM throws a punch, knocking G5 unconscious.

Sorry, just cannot resist !

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2004, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by iPoder:
[See picture above]

Green Monster: What is this?
iMac G5: I am an iMac G5, latest and greatest computer ever made.
GM: Pale as a white ghost. Slim as a cut board. I can knock you down easily.
G5: I dare you! My GeForce 5200 Ultra can crush you like a bug.
GM: What is that?
G5: Most powerful GPU the money can buy!
GM: Mmmmmm... (Angry).

....... GM throws a punch, knocking G5 unconscious.

Sorry, just cannot resist !
Ummm, "Green Monster" is the Hulk. Ever heard of him?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
2.3GHz i7 15" Retina Macbook Pro (Late 2013)

Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by murbot:

20" 1.8GHz G5, 1GB RAM, 250GB HD, AE, BT.

iMac Picture Thread
This green monster, Hulk, is extremely angry because he's not satisfied with iMac G5's NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200.

Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
Matt OS X how long have you had that desk for. I just built it for my GF and it seems pretty flimsy (not to mention it was a pain in the ass to put together). Great photos people and if you don't already know here's the picture thread where these babies belong.

Picture thread.

Hey there iREZ, I got this desk from Wal-Mart about a year ago for 55 bucks. I"m not really satisfied with it. I might as well get a new computer desk sometime near in the future.

Finrock
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2004, 07:45 PM

I enjoyed reading everyone's reviews and pictures of the new iMac so I've finally posted my mini-review and pics of my new 20" iMac G5.

[ Sorry, I had to remove the link because my web host said I went over my CPU utilization limits. ]
( Last edited by Finrock; Oct 1, 2004 at 11:50 PM. )
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules