Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Software 1.1.1?

Software 1.1.1? (Page 2)
irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2007, 05:33 AM

Did the upgrade on a non-modified iPhone. Worked perfectly. 1 restart. Happy camper

Also...WHY, IN 2007, CAN I NOT RECEIVE PICTURE SMS/MMS MESSAGES!#@%$^. I pay for 1,500 text/picture messages per month. Highly disappointed. Was kind of hoping that would happen with the update. This the case with all AT&T phones, or just iphone?
( Last edited by irunat2am; Sep 28, 2007 at 03:54 PM. )
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2007, 05:57 AM

I have just discovered the greatest feature of 1.1.1. If you're listening to your iPod and the screen is locked, double clicking the home button will bring up iPod controls without having to slide to unlock. I *love* this feature.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Voch
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2007, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I have just discovered the greatest feature of 1.1.1. If you're listening to your iPod and the screen is locked, double clicking the home button will bring up iPod controls without having to slide to unlock. I *love* this feature.
Wow...that sounds great. I currently use my iPod mini "blind" while driving (I try not to look at it) and it's important to me to have music functionality while keeping the rest of my data safe and locked up. This may make me lean towards the iPod touch as my next music device...

loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2007, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Am I correct in thinking that the touch's foreign keyboards are not included in this update? I was really looking forward to being able to type in Japanese.

take a look here

dawho9
Senior User
Sep 28, 2007, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I noticed that last night as well. Actually you don't even need to be listening to music. Locked and no music playing it will still come up. Hitting play just seems to pick up at the last song.

dw9
- Intel iMac 20' Core Duo - 1GB RAM
- Technology Blog) http://portalxp.org/Web/blogs/rbrynteson/

kman42
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2007, 10:48 AM

I noticed that feature too. I didn't think it would work if I set the double tap to go to phone favorites, but it is smart enough to handle both. Nice.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2007, 10:53 AM

I'd rather it go to favorites from the locked position, and only go to iPod controls when iPod is playing. While I'm driving, it would be great to hit the home button twice and be at my favorites. This way, I still have to hit the home button, slide the locker, then double click it to go to favorites. Dumb.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2007, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
I'd rather it go to favorites from the locked position, and only go to iPod controls when iPod is playing. While I'm driving, it would be great to hit the home button twice and be at my favorites. This way, I still have to hit the home button, slide the locker, then double click it to go to favorites. Dumb.
Settings -> General -> Home Button -> Show iPod Controls -> On/Off
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2007, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Earth Mk. II View Post
Settings -> General -> Home Button -> Show iPod Controls -> On/Off
Then it does nothing.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2007, 11:47 AM

very true. I misread his post. though, going to a screen where you can make a call without unlocking the phone, seems to miss the point of locking the phone.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2007, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by loveanh View Post
take a look here
I haven't been able to make the keyboard show up myself, but if you can't intentionally select it (to write or respond to an email, for example) it's pretty useless to me, unfortunately.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2007, 12:26 PM

very true. I misread his post. though, going to a screen where you can make a call without unlocking the phone, seems to miss the point of locking the phone.
Agreed.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2007, 01:04 PM

Yeah, that's true too, but I don't know, how easy is it to "accidentally" hit the home button twice in rapid succession and then hit a name on your favorites list with your finger. I don't think that is a very high probability.

Don't get me wrong, I love the new home button options (it was a pain in the ass to have to take out my phone, unlock it, go to ipod app, then hit pause, just to pause it...or to leave the page im browsing on the internet, etc. just to get to ipod functions) but the double tap to favorites from locked could be extremely useful, especially, as I said, while driving.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2007, 01:08 PM

Well, with a finger maybe not - but I've definitely put it into a pants pocket without locking it first, only to take it out and see my contacts page.

Not saying it wouldn't be useful, but I think it's more functional the way it is now, and Apple isn't the kind to go options-heavy in the prefs.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2007, 01:41 PM

I went to go sit around the park during lunch. They have a wifi connection, so I started browsing the wifi iTunes store, bought an album, and then listened to the album during lunch.

How awesome is that?

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2007, 02:21 PM

Still haven't gotten to use the WiFi store (damn 802.1x school connection!)

I'll be able to check it out later today at work, there are like 12 different free wifi's in the area over there...

Visnaut
Senior User
Sep 28, 2007, 03:15 PM

To those who have upgraded to 1.1.1: can one use the "Manually manage music" option on the iPhone now?

To me, that's really the only major beef I have against it.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2007, 01:23 AM

My only question: does the WiFi music store let you subscribe to podcasts directly from the iPhone? It would be nice if it would automatically download new episodes straight to my iPhone rather than having to download them to iTunes and then sync. If not, then I'll probably just hold off on updating until they come out with some new features that I'll actually use.

BLuEWeed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2007, 05:47 AM

i have noticed the calculator icon has changed: the bottom right of the icon used to have a brown division symbol but now it has an orange equals sign.. why you think that is? also i noticed closed captions is an option.. anyone finding any other "hidden" features?

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2007, 08:13 AM

My iPhone crashed twice yesterday. In the older firmware, I never experienced a crash.

This can't be good.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2007, 08:50 AM

I spent a lot of the day walking around the city yesterday using my iPhone for music, sms, and phone calls a lot. After a few hours it became really sluggish. Smses would not notify me that they had arrived, sliding the unlock thing was really delayed (I'd slide it and 2 seconds later the animation would show and the phone would unlock). Music played fine, but the rest of the phone was really slow.
I turned it off and back on but it didn't help, so I did a hard-reset which sorted everything out.

Strange.

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2007, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I spent a lot of the day walking around the city yesterday using my iPhone for music, sms, and phone calls a lot. After a few hours it became really sluggish. Smses would not notify me that they had arrived, sliding the unlock thing was really delayed (I'd slide it and 2 seconds later the animation would show and the phone would unlock). Music played fine, but the rest of the phone was really slow.
I turned it off and back on but it didn't help, so I did a hard-reset which sorted everything out.

Strange.
Was your phone warm to the touch after using it (when it was getting sluggish)?
I noticed if I use mine a lot in one day it will become warm after long periods of use, but if I just let it rest for 10 or so minutes then it is all fine. No resets, no crashes, etc.

It is dreams that will survive, for a dream is immortal.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2007, 10:09 AM

As far as I recall it wasn't warmer than usual.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2007, 12:57 PM

I'm running 3rd party apps on my 1.0.2 iPhone and I'm loving it.

dpicardi
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2007, 03:37 PM

Is the latest version if iTunes required? My guess is it is...right?

dpicardi
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2007, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post

Strange.
How do you perform a hard reset?

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2007, 03:45 PM

Nope. I used 7.4.1 to update.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2007, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by dpicardi View Post
How do you perform a hard reset?
Hold down the power and home button for about 10 seconds or so. Eventually you'll see the iPhone turn off. You can then turn it back on.

Other 'tips':
If you keep holding the power and home button for about 25 seconds you'll see a /!\ saying "connect to iTunes" and that will perform a factory reset on your iPhone.

If an app has frozen you can hold the home button for about 6 seconds and that will Force Quit the app and take you back to the home screen.

BLuEWeed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2007, 04:56 PM

just had an odd encounter.. i updated my phone last night around 5 .. no problems but just then my girlfriend tried to call me and her ring didnt come up it used the default ringtone instead tolder to call me back and i watched it that time and first it popped up as an unkown caller or number but then switched to her name and picture.. went and doulbled checked ringtone.. works fine now.. weird.... im also still surious why they changed the calculator icon

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2007, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by BLuEWeed View Post
just had an odd encounter.. i updated my phone last night around 5 .. no problems but just then my girlfriend tried to call me and her ring didnt come up it used the default ringtone instead tolder to call me back and i watched it that time and first it popped up as an unkown caller or number but then switched to her name and picture.. went and doulbled checked ringtone.. works fine now.. weird.... im also still surious why they changed the calculator icon
They changed the calculator icon because of the iPod touch, they wanted them to match.
I think this last updated did some resetting of ring tones and other things to stop all the ring tone hacks.

The caller coming up as "unknown" happens to every now and again on the first ring, but quickly corrects, happened A LOT on my old phone, probably the network side of the system.

It is dreams that will survive, for a dream is immortal.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2007, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
I'm running 3rd party apps on my 1.0.2 iPhone and I'm loving it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules