Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > New PS3 owner

New PS3 owner
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
May 2, 2008, 07:07 AM

Hey I finally pulled the trigger and got me a PS3. I was going to wait for the MGS special edition but seeing the date on amazon was June 30 for the console, I opted to get the 40gig model.

Anyways, any game recommendations, or sites or items that will help.

I picked up Resistance: Fall of man. The game is pretty good so far, but its taking me time to get used to the controller over using the mouse in one hand and the keyboard in the other.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2008, 07:59 AM

If you enjoy platformers you might think about Ratchet and Clank. I'm playing through that and it's fun.
GTA4 is out now which is a great game.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2008, 09:35 AM

you just need GTA4.
we don't have time to stop for gas

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
May 2, 2008, 10:04 AM

I'm looking at GTA4, not quite sure that's a game I'd want. I'm reading up on it now. I've read good reviews of Ratchet and Clank.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2008, 10:14 AM

I really doubt that's the type of game you want.

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
May 2, 2008, 10:15 AM

GTA4 or Clank?

Clank does look a bit childish.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2008, 10:19 AM

GTA4. Clank's a platformer, they all kinda look that way.

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
May 2, 2008, 10:25 AM

I agree with GTA4 though its not really my type of game

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
May 2, 2008, 10:46 AM

Umm... Other than GTA IV?

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune? Don't know about that one, I've just seen a lot of commercials, so it seemed to be big. And I found the soundtrack on iTunes; definitely pretty sweet.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
May 2, 2008, 09:30 PM

I picked up the Clank game and I'm enjoying that more then the fall of men at the moment. Visually very stunning and smooth game play

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 2, 2008, 09:38 PM

I loved all the Ratchet & Clank games I played on the PS2. The unique weapons were great to play with, and it has great replay factor. The versions I played mixed in a subtle RPG factor that I really enjoyed too. GREAT game, wish there was something like it for XBOX360 for when Live is down. GTA4 Multiplayer FTW, otherwise.

NYK Ace
Senior User
May 2, 2008, 09:54 PM

GTA IV, Call of Duty 4, Metal Gear Pre-order

Aegis
Forum Regular
May 3, 2008, 02:57 AM

Dirt, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted.

Theodour
Forum Regular
May 3, 2008, 10:24 PM

I'm enjoying COD 3 right now... its helping me get the hang of the gamepad vs. mouse for FPS.

I like Burnout Paradise too ... and motorstorm ... love sixaxis steering (and motorcycle wheelies).

I want to get Resistance. Anyone using a Frag x controller for FPS?

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 5, 2008, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
Dirt, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted.
Make Heavenly Sword a rental only. It's too short to warrant your $60.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2008, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Make Heavenly Sword a rental only. It's too short to warrant your $60.
Agreed, it is very short, I regret purchasing the game. Uncharted is a highly polished game and I recommend checking it out. GTA IV is probably the best game I have ever played but it might not be for everyone. (I have it for the 360) Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is a great taster of things to come with the full release and is reasonably priced at $40. I also own Ratchet and Clank which is a good amount of fun but for some reason I got tired of it rather quickly. There are other great EA games like Tiger Woods '08, FIFA, Need for Speed Pro Street, etc. but I own them on the 360 since they were initially created on that platform then ported over but still great fun nonetheless.

Also, make sure to check out the PSN Store, there are some great games on there too like Super Stardust HD.

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

highstakes
Senior User
May 5, 2008, 09:48 PM

I would check out Call of Duty 4. So far, I played more CoD4 on my PS3 then I did with GTA IV and GT 5 combined

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2008, 10:22 PM

Unreal Tournament is a great game.
45/47

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
May 5, 2008, 10:54 PM

Haha, that it is. I'm still completely bewildered to how someone could play it with a thumbstick controller though. At least, when I'm playing it (PC, keyboard/mouse) I'm moving and hopping so much that I just think that incredibly hard with a 360/PS3 controller. But... you know, I've never really used one much, and when I try using it on Halo and such, I completely suck.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 6, 2008, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
Haha, that it is. I'm still completely bewildered to how someone could play it with a thumbstick controller though. At least, when I'm playing it (PC, keyboard/mouse) I'm moving and hopping so much that I just think that incredibly hard with a 360/PS3 controller. But... you know, I've never really used one much, and when I try using it on Halo and such, I completely suck.
You can use a keyboard/mouse on the PS3 for Unreal Tournament 3.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
May 6, 2008, 08:17 AM

So is that what people must do?

Houston2007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2008, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
So is that what people must do?
Man get a XBox 360! I been having one then I got the PS3. The only thing PS3 is good for is Blu-Ray Movies and Archiving photos and maybe storing DIvx or MPEG-4 Videos. I played Metal Gear Solid 4 Beta that crap is really hard and complicated it's definitely no Call of Duty 4 nor Rainbow Six Vegas. Communications on the PS3 has upside like group chat and video conference but downside is you have to do it from the dashboard no in game chat from a user other than the same game. In other-words I can chat from 360's dashboard or another game to a friend who could be in a different game or on his dashboard. Then no cross media bar in game on PS3 You have to Quit and go to the Dashboard every-time you want to chat or check your messages. It's really a dull and boring game whereas the 360 is like a jumping party all the time. To be honest PS3 is a good machine by specs but its just Microsoft has a better Operating System and more variety for gaming well as rent Movies and buy TV Shows which is true to prove Microsoft is a real software company where as Sony really just a hardware company that makes the PS3 more pretty to look at then actually work better for you. If you got or want Blu-Ray Movies then get a PS3 if you REALLY want to play games and have lot more to choose from well as have more friends to talk to and have fun with then get a XBox 360. I got 67 Blu-Ray Movies and if I'm not playing a movie then it just collecting dust. Xbox 360 I'm playing Call of Duty 4 and Grand Theft Auto 4 plus I got 15 More 360 games, 7 old Xbox games plus 20 Xbox Live Arcade games. after owning a PS2 now owning a PS3 I'm really disappointed in the Playstation 3 and even more at Sony. They not innovative anymore.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
May 6, 2008, 01:00 PM

Thanks for that. But I'm not interested in buying a console. I was talking about the quick die-and-respawn of Unreal Tournament. I was commenting on the fact that I'm moving around and jumping every which way that doing that with a controller would seem hard to me.

And then when jokell said you could use a keyboard and mouse on the 360 (and pretty soon the it'll be on the Xbox, so that too) I attempted at making a joke say that's what they must do to survive- attach a keyboard and mouse.

becca
May 7, 2008, 10:32 PM

I have played the most of COD4 and motorstorm.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

ninjashoes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2008, 06:49 AM

I def wanna play Wipeout HD, I frickin love Wipeout

highstakes
Senior User
May 11, 2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ninjashoes View Post
I def wanna play Wipeout HD, I frickin love Wipeout
Same here. Wipeout XL is my fav. racing (non-sim) game of all time!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2008, 12:20 AM

There are other games for the PS3 than GTAIV?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
May 16, 2008, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Houston2007 View Post
Man get a XBox 360! I been having one then I got the PS3. The only thing PS3 is good for is Blu-Ray Movies and Archiving photos and maybe storing DIvx or MPEG-4 Videos. I played Metal Gear Solid 4 Beta that crap is really hard and complicated it's definitely no Call of Duty 4 nor Rainbow Six Vegas. Communications on the PS3 has upside like group chat and video conference but downside is you have to do it from the dashboard no in game chat from a user other than the same game. In other-words I can chat from 360's dashboard or another game to a friend who could be in a different game or on his dashboard. Then no cross media bar in game on PS3 You have to Quit and go to the Dashboard every-time you want to chat or check your messages. It's really a dull and boring game whereas the 360 is like a jumping party all the time. To be honest PS3 is a good machine by specs but its just Microsoft has a better Operating System and more variety for gaming well as rent Movies and buy TV Shows which is true to prove Microsoft is a real software company where as Sony really just a hardware company that makes the PS3 more pretty to look at then actually work better for you. If you got or want Blu-Ray Movies then get a PS3 if you REALLY want to play games and have lot more to choose from well as have more friends to talk to and have fun with then get a XBox 360. I got 67 Blu-Ray Movies and if I'm not playing a movie then it just collecting dust. Xbox 360 I'm playing Call of Duty 4 and Grand Theft Auto 4 plus I got 15 More 360 games, 7 old Xbox games plus 20 Xbox Live Arcade games. after owning a PS2 now owning a PS3 I'm really disappointed in the Playstation 3 and even more at Sony. They not innovative anymore.
FANBOY ALERT!!!!!

Theodour
Forum Regular
May 16, 2008, 09:35 PM

I'm enjoying F.E.A.R. right now.
It has a high creep-out factor, and is a fun shooter.

Kevin83165
May 16, 2008, 11:38 PM

I thought FEAR was a bit repetative but it is a fun game

Theodour
Forum Regular
May 18, 2008, 12:53 AM

Yeah, it generally gets OK, but not great reviews, it seems.

I rented it early on when I first got my ps3, and hated it because I was struggling with the console gamepad FPS issue.

After I discovered that FPS can still be fun with a console-style controller (in some ways better--like laying back on the couch while playing, and in some ways worse--like not being able to focus on a stationary target!!) I revisited F.E.A.R. and decided to buy it.

I like how you are exploring dark, depressing environs, and occasionally there are flashes of "ghost" like things. It really kinda freaks me out when I'm playing late at night.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
May 21, 2008, 12:32 AM

It depends on the kind of games you like playing. The only game I have for my PS3 is Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It's an open-ended RPG with a LOT of gameplay. Gorgeous on an HDTV.

I'd recommend getting the demos for the following (to see if it appeals to your taste): Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Devil May Cry 4, The Darkness, MLB 08, Haze, Heavenly Sword. Some games that are pretty fun (but I wouldn't buy full price): Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Heavenly Sword.

I haven't tried out GTAIV yet. I'll be getting that once I finish Oblivion.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 12:56 PM

If you have a PS3 you need Ratchet & Clank and drakes fortune. Both amazing exclusives.

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 04:11 PM

I just finished Ratchet & Clank. great game.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2008, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Theodour View Post
I'm enjoying F.E.A.R. right now.
It has a high creep-out factor, and is a fun shooter.
I found FEAR to be extremely repetitive, and the best enemies only make a showing once or twice in the whole game.

Too bad you PS3 guys can't play Condemned 2, which spanks the hell out of FEAR in the...well, fear department.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Too bad you PS3 guys can't play Condemned 2, which spanks the hell out of FEAR in the...well, fear department.
I found #1 to be sooo much better.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 21, 2008, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Condemned 2 is for both the XBox AND the Playstation 3 actually. I played part of the first one. It was pretty good from what little I played it. The atmosphere was more horror than action I felt too, but I still like F.E.A.R. also. Beating the hell out of a guy with a 2x4 or a sledgehammer is just classic.
( Last edited by exca1ibur; May 22, 2008 at 12:54 AM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2008, 09:21 PM

I did not know that!

Cool beans, I haven't beat it yet but I hear the end fizzles right the hell out, The first half of the game has been amazing so far.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
If you have a PS3 you need Ratchet & Clank and drakes fortune. Both amazing exclusives.
Good advice. These are must haves for any PS3 owner IMO.

Theodour
Forum Regular
May 24, 2008, 09:28 PM

I rented Rachet and Clank. That was a lot of fun, but I didn't get time to sink my teeth.

My 7-year-old daughter and I play Star Wars: the Complete Saga together. That is a complete blast. She's better at it than I am.

I played the Condemned 2 demo ... I'll have to rent it and get deeper in, but it seemed more like a crime-thing than horror? Is it a zombie thing, or a drunk-hallucination thing?

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2008, 04:43 PM

All of the above.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 26, 2008, 10:07 AM

Weird, the background story in Drakes Fortune is similar to the one is the new india jones movie. Minus the aliens though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules