Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > March 2nd Apple Event Thread (Sponsored by Roundtable Pizza)

March 2nd Apple Event Thread (Sponsored by Roundtable Pizza) (Page 5)
Thread Tools
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your Anus
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 11:46 AM
 
I don't understand why it doesn't happen on my iPhone 3GS which has the same 256. I mean, it does happen, but not as much. If you leave a tab up for a day or two it will refresh, but if you are just surfing about, you can open all 8 and flip between them like nothing. On the iPad, this would not work.

I hope iOS 5 dumps the iPad version of tabbed browsing and goes with a more traditional style with actual tabs. I don't like going out to that other screen.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.
     
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Salamanca, España
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 11:48 AM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Oh hell, not everyone is blessed with the same level of objectivity as you are

-t
You're arguing that people can be objective (or even want to be) when it comes to their employer? The hand that feeds them?!

Oh hell, not everyone is blessed with the same level of naivety as you are
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 11:52 AM
 
Do you really think Spehric will sell more Apple products if he posts positive opinions about Apple products on an Apple-related board ?

Sorry, I can't say what I think about this, because I'd get infractionated.

-t
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 12:38 PM
 
Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
You're arguing that people can be objective (or even want to be) when it comes to their employer? The hand that feeds them?!
You've never heard of anyone complain about the company they work for??? When I worked for Audi and the Q7 was launched I went on a rant on a forum about Audi losing their way in the name of more sales. The company I work for now is massively mis-managed. Blah, blah blah.
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 12:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I don't care how much RAM is in there, but I do care if tabbed browsing works.
That's really the crux of the argument. For people who did notice a low-RAM overhead (even without maybe even knowing what that meant), as long as things like that are fixed they'll be happy campers.
     
Phileas
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 12:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I don't care how much RAM is in there, but I do care if tabbed browsing works.
Use a different browser. Perfect Browser works great on the iPad, with real tabs. Not a single crash.
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 02:22 PM
 
Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Disclaimer: I have no material interest in any products and am a Mac enthusiast.
Cool, same here.

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
You're arguing that people can be objective (or even want to be) when it comes to their employer? The hand that feeds them?!
I don't work for Apple.

I don't work for Apple.

I don't even WANT to work for Apple.

I don't think I ever WOULD want to work for Apple.

I just bought my second Apple product in OVER FOUR YEARS this Monday.

I love that you think it's such a personal affair, and have completely ignored my repeated explanations of my love/hate relationship with Apple's policies and their products.

Suffice it to say, a good old ad hominem is really all you've got going for yourself, isn't it.

Hey if you think it sinks my boat, here, lemme blow some bubbles for ya.

     
freudling
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 02:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Cool, same here.



I don't work for Apple.

I don't work for Apple.

I don't even WANT to work for Apple.

I don't think I ever WOULD want to work for Apple.

I just bought my second Apple product in OVER FOUR YEARS this Monday.

I love that you think it's such a personal affair, and have completely ignored my repeated explanations of my love/hate relationship with Apple's policies and their products.

Suffice it to say, a good old ad hominem is really all you've got going for yourself, isn't it.

Hey if you think it sinks my boat, here, lemme blow some bubbles for ya.

LOL, nobody has even mentioned the consumer study I posted.
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 02:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
LOL, nobody has even mentioned the consumer study I posted.
Actually, I did, and having now read the FIRST PARAGRAPH of the article, I can say that you've most excellently supported my point:
Originally Posted by Your Article
consumers are heavily influenced by quantitative specifications, even meaningless ones.

Here's what I wrote earlier:
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
The difference between RAM and storage is *completely* lost on easily 90 percent of my customers. If they have an option on RAM, they'll generally go with whatever the sales guy recommends.

And the other point is that if you put a "512" value there that's completely meaningless to customers, and an "800" number somewhere else, then any consumer who's making an "informed" decision will look at those stupid computers-for-beginners rags and see endless tables of meaningless numbers, and come to the conclusion that competitor's product X is a much better deal because it has a "768" and a "900" there for those values, and is only $30 more.
And again:
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Yes, and since most people concerned with RAM *are* in fact completely ignorant about what it means, they think it makes those "competitors" better products.

Thanks for backing that up with a study!
     
freudling
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 03:01 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Actually, I did, and having now read the FIRST PARAGRAPH of the article, I can say that you've most excellently supported my point:



Here's what I wrote earlier:


And again:



Thanks for backing that up with a study!
Here's an idea then. Why waste all that paper and bandwidth, let's just ban all tech specs, since consumers don't look at them or care about them. Yup, that's what we should do. On the phone with Washington and Ottawa, hang on...
     
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Salamanca, España
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 03:02 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Cool, same here.
You push Apple products for a living, and you have done for years, as you claim yourself in this post: http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...4/#post4057045

I don't work for Apple.

I don't work for Apple.

I don't even WANT to work for Apple.

I don't think I ever WOULD want to work for Apple.

I just bought my second Apple product in OVER FOUR YEARS this Monday.
Nor did I claim you worked for Apple, but you claimed you worked at sales and support for Apple products in this very thread.

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...4/#post4057045

I love that you think it's such a personal affair, and have completely ignored my repeated explanations of my love/hate relationship with Apple's policies and their products.
A professional 'affair' with Apple products, not personal or directly linked to Apple inc. I don't care one way or another about you personally. However your love/hate relationship with Apple is such that any gripes you may have about Apple products are few and far between. Certainly it has never come to my attention that you are critical in any way shape or form of anything Apple does as long as it is official and sanctioned policy. Doubly so if it is Steve Jobs sanctioned.

Which makes sense, in that you're hardly unbiased, Apple products being *directly* linked to your income. Conflict of interest is not a personal remark, simply a very real and important one. It's not a criticism and I don't want you to change, just good to be aware of this when one reads your posts.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 03:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Here's an idea then. Why waste all that paper and bandwidth, let's just ban all tech specs, since consumers don't look at them or care about them. Yup, that's what we should do. On the phone with Washington and Ottawa, hang on...
Why do so many of your counter-arguments take things to extremes?
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 03:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Here's an idea then. Why waste all that paper and bandwidth, let's just ban all tech specs, since consumers don't look at them or care about them. Yup, that's what we should do. On the phone with Washington and Ottawa, hang on...
Hey, YOU posted the article.

Go deal with your own hyperbole.
     
freudling
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 03:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Hey, YOU posted the article.

Go deal with your own hyperbole.
I will SH!
     
freudling
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 03:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Why do so many of your counter-arguments take things to extremes?
Extremes, on MacNN? No...
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 03:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
You push Apple products for a living, and you have done for years, as you claim yourself in this post: http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...4/#post4057045

Nor did I claim you worked for Apple, but you claimed you worked at sales and support for Apple products in this very thread.

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...4/#post4057045
Well, IF that were relevant, you might think for a second and realize that:

a) I'd have a vested interest in selling customers the product best suited to their needs, since repeat customers are what keeps retail in business, and

b) I'd have a vested interest in steering people AWAY from iOS devices, as dealer margins on those are absolutely LAUGHABLE - as opposed to just suprisingly tiny for the Macintosh lines - for pretty much the same amount of time and effort per customer.

So, EVEN IF my work in sales and tech support were to CLOUD my judgement, rather than actually give me a real-world perspective, the point I was making was that
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I'd imagine that we have a fairly good picture of who's buying Apple products, why, and how.
which, frankly, I'm not entirely sure you're even CAPABLE of disputing, as that really doesn't have anything in particular to do with my own like or dislike of a particular product or product line, and you've shown time and again that you haven't the slightest clue as to who's actually buying the millions of machines Apple has been shipping in the past ten years.

Would you like to continue your ad hominem? Or do you have something to contribute to the discussion?
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 03:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Extremes, on MacNN? No...
Is this some kind of "They were doing it too!" rebuttal? Another quality argument.
     
freudling
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 04:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Is this some kind of "They were doing it too!" rebuttal? Another quality argument.
Jesus, everything is an argument on here. I think ya'll have read:

Amazon.com: The Logic Book (9780073535630): Merrie Bergmann, James Moor, Jack Nelson: Books
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 04:19 PM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Jesus, everything is an argument on here. I think ya'll have read:

Amazon.com: The Logic Book (9780073535630): Merrie Bergmann, James Moor, Jack Nelson: Books
I believe this counts as changing the subject.
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 04:34 PM
 
He's just completely unable to grasp the fact that what he wants and cares about isn't what the general consumer wants or cares about and refuses to recognize that a lot of people on these boards actually deal with consumers and what they want.
     
Salty
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 04:52 PM
 
OK Freudling, I'm going to let you in on a little secret.Are you ready for it?

You're a freak. You are not normal.

Your expectations are unrealistic and you're profoundly out of touch with the general market for iPads. You're also dishonest, even with yourself. You refuse to acknowledge that you are an abnormal freak who wants to know things that only hobbyists, enthusiasts and geeks want to know. Yet you seem to be under the impression that people like my mother, or my very non-savvy best friend who shuts his computer off when he moves it because he thinks he'll save more power than putting it into sleep, aren't who Apple is targeting.

Until you understand that you are at the VERY FAR END of the bell curve, you will continue to annoy the crap out of everyone around you by demanding that people give you the sort of information that you crave. When if you put half the effort you put into complaining, into learning how to use Google properly, you'd know your answers and you could move on... and be at least mildly happy.

Do I care a how much RAM is in an iPad? Yes. But I also already know because I'm not an idiot, and when I didn't see it on the tech specs page I simply looked else where...
     
Eug
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Caught in a web of deceit.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 04:57 PM
 
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Do I care a how much RAM is in an iPad? Yes. But I also already know because I'm not an idiot, and when I didn't see it on the tech specs page I simply looked else where...
There are no iPad 2 teardowns yet, because the iPad 2 has not yet been released.

The 512 MB number out there is probably correct IMO, but in truth it still just qualifies as rumour.
     
freudling
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 05:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
He's just completely unable to grasp the fact that what he wants and cares about isn't what the general consumer wants or cares about and refuses to recognize that a lot of people on these boards actually deal with consumers and what they want.
You're right. Consumers don't care about tech specs. Let's move on.
     
Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 05:29 PM
 
Ok.

Samsung panics over iPad 2, may cut Galaxy Tab 10.1's price | Electronista

Lee also explained that the company had felt symbolically beaten by the new Apple tablet. Samsung thought it had outdone Apple by making the Galaxy Tab 10.1 about 10.9mm (0.43 inches) thick, but the iPad 2's 8.8mm (0.35 inches) now left its competitor behind once again. "We will have to improve the parts that are inadequate," he said, adding that the iPad was now "very thin."

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 05:32 PM
 
I posted that earlier, nobody cared.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 05:32 PM
 
It's important, because I've noticed when people go tablet shopping the first thing they do is measure the thickness of the products with metric rulers.
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 05:49 PM
 
It's important, because the very first thing people notice when they go tablet shopping is how it feels in your hand.

Also, in an industry where cheaper generally means bulkier and less sturdy, Samsung just got owned by a competitor that undercut them on all three counts.
     
boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: I'll let you know when I get there...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 06:02 PM
 
meh (in regards to the event, & the iPad2).
     
freudling
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 06:19 PM
 
Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
meh (in regards to the event, & the iPad2).
I agree. I must say, I love the hardware. That's awesome. It's the damn software that's stuck. Had Apple released a preview of iOS 5... it's the same old giant iPod Touch OS. Icons, icons, icons, with cumbersome multi-tasking.

Come on iOS 5, let's go baby.
     
freudling
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 06:27 PM
 
     
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your Anus
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 06:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
I agree. I must say, I love the hardware. That's awesome. It's the damn software that's stuck. Had Apple released a preview of iOS 5... it's the same old giant iPod Touch OS. Icons, icons, icons, with cumbersome multi-tasking.

Come on iOS 5, let's go baby.
Here I agree with you. I have high hopes for iOS 5.

I'm not so much bothered by the walls of icons like some are, but I would like to see some sort of system wide file handling system, multiple log-ins, better notifications, and (dare I say it) widgets.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 07:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
I agree. I must say, I love the hardware. That's awesome. It's the damn software that's stuck. Had Apple released a preview of iOS 5... it's the same old giant iPod Touch OS. Icons, icons, icons, with cumbersome multi-tasking.

Come on iOS 5, let's go baby.
I think we'll probably get a preview of iOS 5 at WWDC this year. I agree that the hardware is great, but iOS on the iPad is a pretty half-assed implementation at this point.
     
Phileas
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 07:18 PM
 
I don't care much for widgets (I think), but the current implementation of multi-tasking is a joke.

Thankfully I have the perfect excuse to buy pretty much all of the new toys as they'll arrive - we develop content and need to make sure it plays nicely on everything. I am especially looking forward to WebOS.
     
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 07:33 PM
 
Here's a cute kitten to calm everyone down:

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 07:57 PM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Is this you guys?

YouTube - Banned iPad 2 Promo
Because "us guys" are a collective opinion that exist ONLY to fellate Apple, and you're the ONLY ONE in the WORLD that can view this OBJECTIVELY. Any opinion other than your is automatically NOT OBJECTIVE and therefore WRONG.
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 07:59 PM
 
Whoever's blowing what or whom, that video is damn funny.
     
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 09:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Here's a cute kitten to calm everyone down:

This cute kitten image makes me sad because the kitten looks sad. Since I became sad, I realized why; and that makes me because I like kittens, and kittens shouldn't make me sad. So now I shall do a BPR smash! GARRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

Long live iPads!
     
Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 09:52 PM
 
Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Here's a cute kitten to calm everyone down:


Nice try but it's not working.


Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!
     
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 09:52 PM
 
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint
     
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 09:55 PM
 
     
boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: I'll let you know when I get there...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 10:52 PM
 
Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
[>IMG]http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/5780/screenshot20110304at538.png[/IMG<]


Fixed
     
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2011, 11:55 PM
 
Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
"Oh shit, I wish I hadn't left the shire!"
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 5, 2011, 02:23 AM
 
Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post


Fixed
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:34 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,