Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Tape drives

Tape drives
Nivag
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2013, 12:20 PM

Is anyone using Tape/LTO drives for their backups?

Got a client that's been using them since the early 90s and it's worked well for them and still recover data from the early DDS tapes.
They'd like to upgrade to a larger capacity tape but I'm struggling to see what's available for the Mac. They currently have a Sony external drive that connects via firewire and using a old version of Retrospect.

So, is anyone still using them?
Cheers

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2013, 03:15 PM

Honestly, I stopped because Retrospect was ****ing garbage. I'd rather build a PC for tape backups just for the option to use non-monopoly software.

Nivag  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2013, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Honestly, I stopped because Retrospect was ****ing garbage. I'd rather build a PC for tape backups just for the option to use non-monopoly software.
Yeah I agree it went rubbish, this company in question is still using version 6.

I've installed version 10 on a test server and it seems to be ok and not hogging too much resources, though I'm only testing on a small amount of data to be backed up to another disk.

Just struggling to find anyone that's been using a tape drive in the last couple of year on a Mac...

Forum Links
Forum Rules