Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Can I daisy chain my back up volumes?

Can I daisy chain my back up volumes?
Topaz
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2013, 07:13 AM

I have a WD My Book 500gb which is full and now deleting all earlier backups. I want to buy a 1TB same WD extra volume but keep my old 500gb as an additional backup. Can I daisy chain them together using Firewire connectors? I understand there will be desktop icons for both drives but will they interface with each other? For example, when the new one is full, will my backups then automatically transfer to the old one again and start to delete as now? Or will I have to manually select each drive from my desktop? I suspect you can daisy chain FW drives easily, but I don't think Time Machine works with multiple drives.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2013, 01:09 PM

From what I understand TM works with multiple HDs in the latest OS's but treats each one as a individual TM backup and not used as concurrent TM drive. if that makes sense.

Topaz  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2013, 07:09 AM

Thanks for the advice. However after much thought it's possible that I can buy a new 3TB drive for the approx same price as a new WD 1TB My Book. It will mean having to discard my present 500gb drive or give it away but might solve my problem. So long as it is compatible with Time Machine and Lion OSX.

Forum Links
Forum Rules