Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15"/17" 1 more time. any pics with some 1 using it in their lap

15"/17" 1 more time. any pics with some 1 using it in their lap
xmacx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2004, 08:58 PM

So I am one of those who have been trying to decide between a 15" and 17" 1.5GHz PB. The obvious thing I am looking at is - 17" too big for me to use at home. I want to get 17" because of its higher resolution (1440x900) but I am worried that it will be a little too wide to lug around even at home.

Can any of you 17" owners please comment and if possible post a pic of you using it in your lap ... I don't travel too much with my laptop so I am not worried about that part. But, I want to make sure that I can use this big screen lapzilla at home, comfortably, on my couch, chair, etc. I never use a desk.

Currently I use a 15" dell latitude and hoping to make the switch soon. 17" PB are just about 1" wider on each side (I think)

Commodus
Mac Elite
May 16, 2004, 12:01 AM

The 17" isn't too wide to lug around at home - I've heard people even say that it's easier to have the 17" on your lap than the 15", because of how you can have your legs further apart when you sit and still keep the system stable.

The only concern I'd have when it comes to portability is where it matters most - outside of the house. If you really want less weight or something that fits better in your pack, go for a 15" - your shoulders will thank you for it.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

vandelay
May 16, 2004, 09:50 AM

I recommend the 17". I�ve had mine for two weeks and used it on my lap more than i used a 15" Toshiba in the 18 months i had that. The only concern would be, if you have to use it a lot flying coach. Other than that, i couldn�t think of a single reason to chose a 15" over a 17".

cszar2001
Photo Architect
May 16, 2004, 11:32 AM

As already posted the size difference is only important when it comes to confined spaces like on planes.
At home the 17 is great-it`s not as hot as the 15.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

riotge@r
Forum Regular
May 16, 2004, 12:47 PM

If you are using the 17" at home, "lugging" it around is a non issue.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

xmacx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2004, 12:52 PM

so I am hearing from you all that it is a non-issue in terms of size when I am using a 17" at home on my counch, sitting on a chair but still with the laptop on my lap ... that helps. leads me to believe 17" is right for me.

travel and carrying is not an issue .. I have notcied that I can not use my 15" dell latitude on a flight either. Although that could be because latitudes are taller too .. but, then I hardly travel or use a computer while travelling .. so that will not be an issue .. I might take my laptop for road trips in a nice backpack or some thing but I guess I can live with that being in a trunk or some thing

Thanks again for all your advice.

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2004, 11:05 AM

I agree about the 15" running hot in the lap comment. I have a 1GHz aluminum window and it gets really toasty. I'm not using a podium coolpad or anything like that.

Usually I will put it on top of a table or put a book in my lap before typing on it.

Then again I like typing on my wireless Apple keyboard a lot more than the internal one and am usually plugged in, so it isn't that big of a deal.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

hart
Senior User
May 18, 2004, 12:42 PM

how about someone who lugs the 17" around responding? So it's fine if you leave it at home but what if you plan to carry it around with you? not just planes. I'm upgrading from a keylime ibook and that model seems like quite a load after a while. I think the weight isn't that much different from a 17" powerbook.

I've been measuring backpacks, figuring percent of overall increase and making little paper mockups and am still on the fence about this.

I can imagine feeling a tad self-concious pulling out a huge block of powerbook and plunking it down on a teeny cafe table.
I spent an hour at the Apple store with a 15" and 17" side by side. The actual screen content difference is not earth-shaking, altho with a 17" it seems like an external monitor would be largely superfluous. On the other hand, I can imagine that the size of the 17" might make one more hesitant to take it along.

Any feedback either way from someone who actually carries their 17" with them?

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2004, 02:40 PM

I carry mine everyday. I had a rev a 17", then a rev a 15", now a rev c 17". You are right the screen difference isn't shattering but after a while the 15" does feel a little cramped compared to the 15". I carry my PowerBook (whichever I own at the time) back forth between work and home everyday. I carry it between rooms often at home and take it on flights (usually about every two weeks) and use it all the time while traveling.

The 15" is lighter and if that's your primary usage get that. If you tend to use it on desk alot then get the 17". If you want a portable theater that can entertain you in a hotel room with a DVD or music get the 17". It really depends what you want. Either work fine for normal use and the difference in weight isn't huge. If you are carrying in a bag, the difference in weight is relatively small. But it really comes down to your priorities. For me if the 15" was thinner, and was a 16:10 format like the 17" and had a few more pixels squished in I would get it. But it's not so I got the "top-end" which is a maxed out 17".
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

sbc
Forum Regular
May 18, 2004, 03:29 PM

Thanks bcaslis for your reply. For a while i have been dead set on the 15", but the screen resolution really bothered me. I've wondered if the extra weight on the 17" would be cumbersome on a day to day basis. Now, i think i feel more comfortable opting for the 17" when i do make that purchase.
Am I ready for the Mac? I want a 60G iPod!!!!!

Dougmc
Forum Regular
May 18, 2004, 04:32 PM

I use my 17" everywhere�back and forth to the office, traveling (planes, cars-sorry no train experiences). And I have no complaints. However, this is my first laptop experience, so I have nothing to compare it to. But, conversly, I'm not at all discouraged to pack it up where ever I go, taking it with me pretty much everywhere.

We recently purchased three new 15" PowerBooks for the other designers at my office, and while setting those up really felt the difference in size and weight. But it wasn't enough for ME to reconsider what machine I have.

Best of luck.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

hart
Senior User
May 18, 2004, 04:52 PM

AAAA!!!! (shopper's head explodes)

back,forth,back,forth...I waiting for a fortune cookie that says "buy x" where x=the ultimate powerbook choice for me. I almost pressed the "order" button for the 15" waiting for a reply here, now I'm back to the 17".

riotge@r
Forum Regular
May 18, 2004, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by xmacx:
so I am hearing from you all that it is a non-issue in terms of size when I am using a 17" at home on my counch, sitting on a chair but still with the laptop on my lap ... that helps. leads me to believe 17" is right for me.

travel and carrying is not an issue .. I have notcied that I can not use my 15" dell latitude on a flight either. Although that could be because latitudes are taller too .. but, then I hardly travel or use a computer while travelling .. so that will not be an issue .. I might take my laptop for road trips in a nice backpack or some thing but I guess I can live with that being in a trunk or some thing

Thanks again for all your advice.
A lot of people don't just use their laptops on planes. My 15" PowerBook is almost too big to use at school. I've seen a couple people fumbling around with their 17" PB in class. Very amusing.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

JCT
Forum Regular
May 18, 2004, 07:30 PM

The good thing is that there really isn't a bad decision, right? Great machine either way.

I waffled between the 15 and 17" for over a week (even fully configured a 15" and stared at that submit button for 10 minutes.)

I finally went with the 17" after spending nearly 2 hours at the Apple store comparing the two (open, closed, both with the same Photoshop file, etc ). Since I am moving up from a 12" I've already committed to a big leap to start with, so the extra 2" on the 17" didn't faze me. And I have the same problem with my 15" PC laptop, it doesn't fly well either because of the height of the screen.

In the end it came down to that beautiful screen and all of the visual work I do ... nothing like two pages of a document side-by-side! Plus I was concerned about developing screen envy if I went with the 15" .

Again, no bad outcomes ....just 2 great options.

Good Luck and enjoy your choice,

JT
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

hart
Senior User
May 18, 2004, 07:56 PM

I'm moving up from a keylime ibook so with a 17" it looks like I'm probably actually REDUCING my total cubic inches but slightly increasing my desk real estate and GREATLY increasing my screen size/pixel count.

Decision made, order transmitted, anxiety partially contained.

Now I better stop reading these damned threads before I have shopper's remorse.

I mean, thank you everyone so much for all your help, etc, etc.

sbc
Forum Regular
May 19, 2004, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by riotge@r:
I've seen a couple people fumbling around with their 17" PB in class. Very amusing.
Nothing can be more cumbersome than the Dell 8600 or the D800. Not only are those machines larger in height, but I'm sure thickness as well. I've seen several kids lug those two machines to class daily, I couldn't imagine the 17" being much more painstaking than those two units.
Am I ready for the Mac? I want a 60G iPod!!!!!

riotge@r
Forum Regular
May 19, 2004, 03:48 AM

Originally posted by sbc:
Nothing can be more cumbersome than the Dell 8600 or the D800. Not only are those machines larger in height, but I'm sure thickness as well. I've seen several kids lug those two machines to class daily, I couldn't imagine the 17" being much more painstaking than those two units.
I have a Dell D600 for work (smaller than D800) and it isn't so bad. The problem with the 17" PB in my classes is that the 17" PB takes up the entire desk. This becomes a problem when you are trying to reference a book or write something down. If I was stationary more often I would get a 17", I opted to get a G5 for the house. Sometimes I envy the 12" because of its ultra portability.

However, with that said, you can't go wrong with any of the PowerBooks.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

Forum Links
Forum Rules