Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Time for some more iMac G5 revision predictions

Time for some more iMac G5 revision predictions
Commodus
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2005, 02:29 PM

I always like these, because it's interesting to see how far into left field some people will go with their estimates.

Anyways, my predictions and then a bit of commentary afterwards:

17-inch Combo
1.8 GHz G5
1 MB of L2 cache
600 MHz bus
512 MB of DDR400 RAM
80 GB hard drive
128 MB GeForce 6200 video
$1099

17-inch Superdrive
2 GHz G5
1 MB of L2 cache
667 MHz bus
512 MB of DDR400 RAM
80 GB hard drive
128 MB GeForce 6200 video
$1299

20-inch Superdrive
160 GB hard drive
Otherwise same as 17-inch SD
$1699

The first thing I'd note is that the video would be PCI Express, since these iMacs would (presumably) share the hardware of the low-end PowerMac updates that will hopefully precede them. Also, the Superdrives would be dual-layer burners. I believe those do, in fact, exist in slot-loading form.

I suspect that the update would happen in April 2004, as a possible target for new PowerMacs is March.

Anyways, my theory is that prices on components have (or will have) come down by the time new iMacs with these specs could be released; $200 is a bit optimistic, but I think it's a possibility. Goodness knows that the $499 Mac (if true) might put serious pressure on Apple to offer the iMac as a sort of low-hanging fruit that's just low enough in price to tempt people who want more than the least expensive Mac can offer.

And yes, I think that 512 MB of RAM is reasonable on all models. Apple markets the iMac as the ideal iLife machine, and 256 MB of memory isn't great even with iLife 04 - let alone whatever iLife 05 offers. A system above $1000 in 2005 should have 512 MB as a minimum, even if it has to be achieved through two 256 MB sticks.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

osxisfun
Jan 9, 2005, 02:58 PM

I can't even think past tues. let alone possible april imac revisions...

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2005, 12:19 PM

I may need to replace my PB 12" with an iMac in the next couple of months, but I couldn't bring myself to buy an iMac before the first revisions. Stupid I know, but when a Mac is 4 months old or so, you just know...

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules