Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2008, 11:59 PM

Is anyone else here excited to see this movie? I'm going see this weekend in an IMAX theater. The tomatometer is already at 90%.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight/

Roeper thinks it should merit a best picture Oscar nomination. What?

YouTube - Ebert & Roeper review

This maybe one of the rare occasions where the sequel is better than the original. That's saying a lot because I LOVED Batman Begins.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2008, 12:22 AM

I told my brother-in-law that it was going to be the best.

Best comic book movie? he asks.

No. The best.

Best movie...ever?

No, I say. The best.

Best what?

Best everything.

Huh?

The best movie, obviously, but more, so much more, I tell him. The best turkey sandwich you ever had will be The Dark Knight. The best sex of your life will be The Dark Knight. The best...well, you get the picture.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2008, 02:25 AM

I've been looking forward to this movie since I saw the first trailer. If this movie halfway lives up to its promise, it should be fantastic. I'm planning to see the first showing I can get tickets for on Friday.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2008, 02:29 AM

I'd go on Thursday night but been recruited for third shift work on the website. But I'll find time for it. Want to see it in iMax as well.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

macfantn
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2008, 07:09 PM

Saw the movie last night, it is better then you can even imagine. Heather Ledger is mesmerizing. The acting is top action, the movie is intense, dark and crazy as hell. This is the best movie in the last 10 years and the best superhero movie ever made. The opening bank robbery scene is intense, rivaling the movie Heat.
( Last edited by macfantn; Jul 17, 2008 at 08:59 PM. )
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 07:38 PM

Got my tickets for tomorrow at 7pm in Imax weeks ago. Sold out just after I did also.
I'm pretty sure it will be my fav movie of all time and I don't say that lightly.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
Saw the movie last night, it is better then you even imagine. Heather Ledger is mesmerizing. The acting is top action, the movie is intense, dark and crazy as hell. This is the best movie in the last 10 years and the best superhero movie ever made. The opening bank robbery scene is intense, rivaling the movie Heat.
I just watched the first 6 min on the batman begins Blu-ray.

Question. since only parts are in IMAX does the screen aspect ratio switch throughout the movie?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2008, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Question. since only parts are in IMAX does the screen aspect ratio switch throughout the movie?
I'm wondering the same thing. I would imagine it would "up-res" the non-IMAX footage, but I'm still wondering about that. I will definitely see it in IMAX first, unless its impossible for me.

macfantn
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2008, 08:01 PM

the begining isn't shot in imax, but to be honest there was over 1000 people in line for the movie, i was one of the last people to make it in, so I was sitting about 6 rows back from the imax screen and I never noticed any change after the one at the beginning. Being so close to the screen though I could have missed it.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 08:02 PM

Will be seeing it in 3:59

macfantn
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2008, 08:04 PM

Heath ledger reminded me a bit of the jigsaw killer from saw, he is that insane. The movie has some great plot twists, you are in for one helluva ride.

macfantn
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2008, 08:22 PM

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2008, 09:03 PM

After reading this thread I drove over to my local theater and bought tickets for tonight @ 12:10.... macfantn.. how was the Lamborghini scene?

macfantn
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2008, 09:04 PM

it wasn't as cool as some of the batmobile and motorcycle scenes

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2008, 10:45 PM

I liked it. Saw it last night. Very intense and dark and ultimately awesome. My only complaint about it is that movies like this never translate well to the home video release, no matter how good of a home theater you have.

Rumor
Jul 18, 2008, 06:53 AM

Recently got back. Very well done. Heath Ledger was amazing.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2008, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
Heath ledger reminded me a bit of the jigsaw killer from saw, he is that insane. The movie has some great plot twists, you are in for one helluva ride.
jigsaw wasn't the killer

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 18, 2008, 07:58 AM

One: really intense, psychotic version of the Joker

Two: Michael Caine (again) as Alfred

Three: really, really cool "toys" in bathands

Four: "Dark Knight." Makes me think of the graphic novels from the late 80s or early 90s. Not an elderly Batman, of course, but the darkness Miller painted should definitely be there.

If nothing else, it should be a really fun action movie. If it's as good as a lot of people (who have seen it) suggest, it should kick serious summer block-buster bootie and wow us. I've been looking forward to this since I saw the earliest teaser.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2008, 08:01 AM

i don't doubt this will set records; but i have a sneaking suspicion that the new Star Trek movie will surpass The Dark Knight. never under estimate the power of the Trekkie.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2008, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
i don't doubt this will set records; but i have a sneaking suspicion that the new Star Trek movie will surpass The Dark Knight. never under estimate the power of the Trekkie.
Ha ha. No way in hell.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2008, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
If nothing else, it should be a really fun action movie.
Fun action movie = Spiderman. Dark Knight is better than a fun action movie.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2008, 10:38 AM

Ha ha. No way in hell.
i'd bet there are more trekkies than batman fans. i see no reason why XI won't do well. i can see the droves of costume freaks now.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2008, 10:47 AM

The Dark Knight took out my trash and increased my bandwidth (in honor of "Mobileme killed my grandmother").

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2008, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
The Dark Knight took out my trash and increased my bandwidth (in honor of "Mobileme killed my grandmother").
nice. all i got was a crappy pizza from a crappy pizza company

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2008, 11:00 AM

nice. all i got was a crappy pizza from a crappy pizza company
Hey, you called them.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2008, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
Hey, you called them.
actually, i didn't. nor can i. even with it being a michigan company, there isn't one any where close to where i live! but, it is a big joke as many have complained; the amount of pepperoni is the same as a normal order.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 18, 2008, 11:11 AM

Ha ha. No way in hell.
Yeah, it's possible. For much the same reason "Dark Knight" will draw record crowds: to see what the fuss is about.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2008, 11:23 AM

i'd bet there are more trekkies than batman fans. i see no reason why XI won't do well. i can see the droves of costume freaks now.
Have you looked at the few Trekkie box office turnouts? There aren't even enough of them to justify keeping a show on the air anymore, on a network that was launched specifically for Star Trek! Recent history suggests JJ Abrams is a bigger draw than the Trek name.

Anyway, got my tickets to go see it (Batman, that is) a little later today. Tres excited.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2008, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Have you looked at the few Trekkie box office turnouts? There aren't even enough of them to justify keeping a show on the air anymore, on a network that was launched specifically for Star Trek! Recent history suggests JJ Abrams is a bigger draw than the Trek name.
Bingo. I am/was a huge trekie but the last movie tanked big time and that was with a cast everyone loved. Enterprise didn't even make it 5 seasons. Everyone thinks paramount didn't wait long enough before making this movie. Star Trek still has a very negative geek image attached to it while batman no longer does. Cloverfield sucked major balls so I am not confident in JJ.

I am sure the movie will be pretty good and do better than most treks because of the cast and new direction but I'll bet you it does no where near as well as Dark Knight.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2008, 01:42 PM

Dark Knight was seriously enjoyable. Not fun to watch like Iron Man but more kick ass. Very brutal and dark, even to Batman laying haymakers more than karate moves.

Ledger was as good as advertised but I really enjoyed the Gordon and Dent arcs as well. Very well-done overall.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2008, 02:28 PM

since cloverfield wasn't good then XI won't be?

check.

since the trek last movie bombed, XI will?

check.

my OPINION is still a valid one; XI will bring a huge box office draw; because, it does what no other series/movie has done; explain how it all began. if you think the trekkies won't work themselves into a frenzy over that, you are crazy. and because of that, i'm betting it will do better numbers than dark knight.

yup; i called you crazy. report me to the mods! oh no!!!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2008, 02:40 PM

Anyone who thinks Trek will do half of what Dark Knight will bring is as crazy as the Joker.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2008, 02:47 PM

hahaha. reported!

Lava Lamp Freak
Jul 18, 2008, 08:26 PM

I just watched the first 6 min on the batman begins Blu-ray.

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. I would imagine it would "up-res" the non-IMAX footage, but I'm still wondering about that. I will definitely see it in IMAX first, unless its impossible for me.
I just got back from Imax and LOVED the movie. Heath was outstanding as the Joker.

Every show from midnight this morning until the 10:20 showing Sunday night at Imax here is sold out. I got to the theater an hour early and there was already quite a long line of people in front of me. I still got a good seat on the 2nd to the last row, though.

The aspect ratio did change occasionally throughout the movie, but it was always a welcomed change.
( Last edited by Lava Lamp Freak; Jul 18, 2008 at 09:09 PM. )

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2008, 09:04 PM

i fell asleep for some of it last night at the midnight show *shrugs*.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2008, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n View Post
i fell asleep for some of it last night at the midnight show *shrugs*.
...because it was the midnight show or because you got bored with it?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2008, 11:10 PM

yes?

i get up for blue collar ass work at 5:30, i had no place being there in the first place. nobody told me it was two and a half hours long.

i phased out in the asian scenes. too much dialogue.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2008, 12:03 AM

Spoilers....

so did dent die in the end?
I thought they would kill joker for some reason.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2008, 12:15 AM

Spoilers....

so did dent die in the end?
I thought they would kill joker for some reason.
yes. not necessarily.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2008, 03:21 AM

my OPINION is still a valid one; XI will bring a huge box office draw; because, it does what no other series/movie has done; explain how it all began. if you think the trekkies won't work themselves into a frenzy over that, you are crazy. and because of that, i'm betting it will do better numbers than dark knight.
I thought they tried to ‘explain how it all began’ with Enterprise. Didn’t work.

Lucas tried to ‘explain how it all began’ with Star Wars Episodes I-III. Didn’t work.

Herbert & Anderson tried to ‘explain how it all began’ with the Dune universe. Didn’t work.

‘Explaining how it all began’ is a ****ing lame arse idea for wankers without original ideas.

Hell, I’m a trekkie, and I don’t give a **** about ‘Star Trek XI’. Might catch it when they show it on network TV, but I probably will not rent the dvd, and I certainly won’t pay for a theatre ticket.

If somebody had the audacity to re-invent Star Trek the way they did Batman, it might be possible to inject some new life into the corpse, but the way they seem to be handling that baby is an exercise in uninspired necrophilia.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2008, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
Hell, I’m a trekkie, and I don’t give a **** about ‘Star Trek XI’. Might catch it when they show it on network TV, but I probably will not rent the dvd, and I certainly won’t pay for a theatre ticket.
Same.

Rumor
Jul 19, 2008, 04:30 AM

"Star Trek VI: Sulu's weekend at Kirk's."
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2008, 04:40 AM

Ratm
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2008, 12:09 PM

Heath was fantastic and the movie was a complete masterpiece. I will definitely see it again but this time on an IMAX screen. Was the best superhero movie of all time? Absolutely.

Every time the Joker appeared on screen, I and people around me tensed up. It felt like we were all being held hostage by the joker and we relaxed only when the scene with him in it ended. Everyone in that theater was totally immersed in the film.
( Last edited by Ratm; Jul 19, 2008 at 12:21 PM. )

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2008, 01:06 PM

Just so you know there is nothing special AFTER the credits so don't bother sitting around waiting.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ratm View Post
Every time the Joker appeared on screen, I and people around me tensed up. It felt like we were all being held hostage by the joker and we relaxed only when the scene with him in it ended. Everyone in that theater was totally immersed in the film.
I was tense every time Batman was on screen. I felt like he was right on the edge of going too far.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2008, 04:09 PM

It's sold out in a lot of places here in NYC. A friend and I watched it this morning and loved it. I agree with everyone regarding Heath. He played such a great Joker.

My wife couldn't make it this morning so we're going to see it but will wait until we can get IMAX tickets.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Jul 19, 2008, 04:25 PM

Heath's performance was amazing. The rest of the movie? Solid but I wouldn't go so far as to say it was the da-best-mostest-amazingly-koolio superhero movie EVAR.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2008, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by keekeeree View Post
Heath's performance was amazing. The rest of the movie? Solid but I wouldn't go so far as to say it was the da-best-mostest-amazingly-koolio superhero movie EVAR.
It's with out a doubt the bestest- tight -butt- huggin- spandx-wearing movie ever....EVAR

....EVARRRRR

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
I was tense every time Batman was on screen. I felt like he was right on the edge of going too far.
I agree. The two were definitely pushed to their limits in this flick. *Sigh* It's a damn shame.
( Last edited by Ratm; Jul 19, 2008 at 04:56 PM. )

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2008, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ratm View Post
It's with out a doubt the bestest- tight -butt- huggin- spandx movie ever....EVAR
In terms of tight outfits, there's one that has a certain Mystique to it that can't be beat.

Forum Links
Forum Rules