Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" or 14" iBook for my needs?

12" or 14" iBook for my needs?
Commodus
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2002, 02:41 PM

I'm hoping to get an iBook in January, but I'm a bit torn on whether it should be the 12" or 14" iBook model - both have good incentives to use them.

No matter what, I'm hoping for a better experience than what I have now. I have a Toshiba Satellite with a 1 GHz Celeron and using Windows XP. Windows XP isn't such a problem (believe it or not), but the laptop is still slow - and I'm eager to get a Mac laptop anyways!

Here's my criteria, so you have a good frame of reference for what I'm looking for:

</font>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I'm used to a 13.3" display on the Toshiba</font></li>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">size isn't essential (my laptop bag will fit either iBook)</font></li>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">the less weight the better, but any iBook is an improvement (the Toshiba is 7 pounds!)</font></li>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">extra battery life helps, but isn't crucial</font></li>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I tend to use my laptop either leaning back on the couch, or for notes at university lectures</font></li>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">price doesn't look as though it'll be a factor
    </font></li>
<font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">As you might guess, I'm leaning towards the 14" model: its screen size is closer to what I'm using now, it has more battery life, and I won't feel burdened carrying it around. I'm most interested in those who've also had to compare the two when deciding on their purchase.
Of course, there's always the possibility that Apple's next iBook upgrade may increase the resolution of the 14" version. That would make my decision pretty simple, I think...
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2002, 03:17 PM

I HIGHLY doubt that the iBook models will be the same as they are now when January rolls around. It's just pointless to make this decision now.

However, if that choice remains by then: Note that both screen sizes are the same 1024x768 resolution, so you're not getting more screen space with the 14" (everything will just look bigger). I personally would go with the 12" for the much better portability. Apple claims that the 14" gets an extra hour on the battery, but battery claims are usually overstated. It's probably closer to 30 minutes in real life.

In the several months you have between now and January, go to a store that sells Macs (an Apple Store, CompUSA, etc) and look at both models side-by-side and see if the 14" is worth it for you.

Commodus  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2002, 03:34 PM

Ah, but that's the catch - none of the stores I've been to that sell Apple systems (B.Mac, Compucentre, and my campus bookstore) seem to have a 14" iBook on demo, so I really don't know for sure how it looks. I know that 1024x768 is good enough on the 15" iMac LCD, but with a desktop you aren't often sitting at the same distance as you would with a laptop on a desk or your lap.

I guess I should contexutalize the poll... all other things being equal (i.e. assume that the next iBook update is mainly for performance), would 12" or 14" be better? If nothing else, people could always use this thread as a platform for debate on the two models.

<small>[ 07-28-2002, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Commodus ]</small>

Chazzmandu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2002, 07:21 PM

You really need to see both side-by-side to make a decision. Otherwise, it comes down to the specs that you mentioned.

I have enjoyed my 12" for just over a year. I thank myself (or my wife, actually) every time I open the cover and bring it to life. To me, the beauty is in its compactness.

Either way, you can't go wrong! Both would become a wonderful friend.

meducus
Jul 28, 2002, 07:40 PM

I went for the 12.1 for the following reasons -

- cheaper
- more portable (smaller and lighter)
- laptop looks better (the keyboard only just fits the 12.1 - it is so small and compact it just looks better than the 14.1 with the extra space around the keys)
- Same resolution (so why bother - unless you have poor eyesight, which I don't)

MoBius
Jul 29, 2002, 01:14 AM

I was debating this same thing a few weeks ago. I looked at both i know they run same resolutionsb ut the 14 u can see it easier which i liked. Size money wasnt factor since this is my main mac now since i turned my g4 into strictly server. It all depends what u want the 14 inch i think is still a nice size and i dont mind it not being tiny i like being able to see it a tad better.

And also the battery life isnt great on a charged battery i can get like 4 hours of life outta it but oh well i usually only unplug when i sit in bed or Something.

Gatorzx2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2002, 01:37 AM

I saw both the 12" and 14" models side by side in a CompUSA store and I think the 14" looks bulky and almost diformed a little. Since they both use the same resolution the 12" seems to be a little sharper than the 14".

I went with the 12" and I absolutely love it.

Cipher13
Jul 29, 2002, 05:47 AM

12.1"... it fits anywhere nicely, and anyway, it has the same resolution as the 14.1", which makes that different completely redundant...

babble
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2002, 09:40 AM

Hey Commodus,

I went to B.Mac in Ottawa about 2 weeks ago and they had both models side by side on display...

When did you go?

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2002, 10:22 AM

12 inch. it is more portable...not to mention cheaper.
if i was going to get something with a big screen i would opt for a TiBook.
for the iBook a 12 inch is the way to go.
You can get used ones for very cheap now as well if you dont opt to go new.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

Commodus  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2002, 10:49 AM

babble:

I went just last week (Monday or Tuesday) - the only iBook they appeared to have on display was a 12" 600 MHz CD-ROM model. They also didn't have any Powerbook G4s on display, which was also pretty unfortunate (I'm not very likely to get a Powerbook, but I want to see the performance difference). B.Mac was still fun to visit nevertheless - it's like an Apple store, just with darker colours!

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2002, 01:07 PM

Before buying I spent a lot of time comparing the 12" and 14"screens. The difference in price was not a factor in my decision...The 12" is sharper than the 14", and I generally need reading glasses when using a computer.

At one time I would have thought that a 12" screen is too small, but after months of use I have found the 12" iBook to be just about as perfect a Mac as it gets. And I wasn't sure that I would even like using a portable Mac!

webb3201
Senior User
Jul 29, 2002, 01:40 PM

one note, users of the 14" machine mention that it is not balanced enough to use when in your lap...the thing is screen heavy and wants to flop over. As I spend a significant amount of time with the laptop in my lap in front of the TV, that is important to me.

kevin
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

james_squared
Jul 29, 2002, 01:50 PM

Hello,

Commodus, I don't know anything about retailers in Ottawa, but if you goto <a href="http://www.ehmac.com" target="_blank">ehmac</a>, you'll be able to find other users who live in Ottawa. They should be able to direct you to a retailer who has both in stock, plus you can get other opinions from Canadians.

James

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2002, 02:34 PM

I was torn between the two.... the problem being, I was going by pictures on the apple website. Then I went to the apple store and saw the two side-by-side. With me, the money wasn't a factor. After seeing the two, the decision was simple. The ONLY reason I could see anyone buying the 14" is if they have really poor eyesight. Other than that, you don't realize how bad the 14" case looks until you see it next to the perfectly compact 12". The 14" is as wide as the TiBook! The keyboard is floating in the middle of all this blank white space and it just doesn't look right to me. As for the extra hour... remember this, it's more like 30mins tops as the larger monitor is going to eat up more juice. Also, the 12" is much sharper than the 14" when you see them side-by-side.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2002, 02:37 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by meducus:
<strong>I went for the 12.1 for the following reasons -

- cheaper
- more portable (smaller and lighter)
- laptop looks better (the keyboard only just fits the 12.1 - it is so small and compact it just looks better than the 14.1 with the extra space around the keys)
- Same resolution (so why bother - unless you have poor eyesight, which I don't)</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Ditto here.

klinux
Senior User
Jul 29, 2002, 03:31 PM

I also went with the 12" and am quite happy with it as I am not using it as a desktop replacement. My previous laptop was 10" (subnotebook, &lt;3 lbs) so it was an improvement for me anyways.
One iMac, iBook, one iPod, way too many PCs.

losta
Jul 29, 2002, 04:56 PM

I'm an older iBook user and my eyes don't focus on small type as well as they used to. I recently got a 12" ibook and I haven't had any trouble.

I have made some adjustments on the computer and IE settings. But overall I'm quite happy with the 12" however I do have several desktops and a pc notebook with a 14" screen I would probably use if I were to read as extremely long text document online.
Thanks in advance.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2002, 07:09 PM

Correct me here If I'm wrong people, but don't you generally subtract 2 inchs from a CRT to get it's LCD equivilant?
So a 15 inch CRT, is just a bit bigger than a 12 inch iBook screen.
Personally I have no trouble with the resolution running on my iMac, personalliy I havn't tried the 12 inch or 14 inch... however I do know when I can afford one... it'll be a 12 inch.

meducus
Jul 29, 2002, 09:35 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
<strong>Correct me here If I'm wrong people, but don't you generally subtract 2 inchs from a CRT to get it's LCD equivilant?
So a 15 inch CRT, is just a bit bigger than a 12 inch iBook screen.
Personally I have no trouble with the resolution running on my iMac, personalliy I havn't tried the 12 inch or 14 inch... however I do know when I can afford one... it'll be a 12 inch.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Yeah thats about right. The 12.1 LCD on the ibook is about the same size (screen) as a 14 inch CRT (i.e. normal style, tv-like monitor)

Forum Links
Forum Rules