Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Powerbook...almost here

New Powerbook...almost here
Applesatyr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2005, 09:03 PM

In retrospect the title of this post can be misread...
Anyway, I just thought I'd share the news:
I am a mac convert.

This week I have finally had the chance to order my new pc, and it, along with a printer, software and, of course, and applecare plan, are on their way to me soon!

specs, incase anyone is interested:
Powerbook g4 15"
1.67GHz PowerPC G4 w/ 64MB VR
1GB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM
100GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400
8x SuperDrive (DVD+/-RW/CD-RW)
Country Kit/AirPort Extreme
Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS

I know that many of you think I should have waited for the rumoured updates, but I've just started uni, and I'm not really interested in a rev A model. Time is of the essence..the current school mac that I'm typing on is nice, but I'm not exactly allowed to take it to class with me nor to my room.

So, with that, the journey begins - good bye microsoft!

Dewaine
Sep 9, 2005, 09:12 PM

I converted a little over two weeks ago. My lil' 12" is not as powerful as my WinTel was, but I am not looking back. I am very impressed with the build quality and stability. I have pluged everything I had pluged into my WinTel, and it just works with the Mac. No problems, not one. Really amazes me. I have two printers, a scanner, DVD burner, backup hard drive (all usb) and everything works perfect. I got Office Mac 2004 and it actually has more features than my Office 2003 on the PC!

I am a very happy convert. I was (and still am at work) a windows power user, so it took me a few days to realize how simple it all is. I kept trying to make things complex. Now I am getting it, and I am enjoying computing again. I'm not much of an expert, but if I can help let me know.

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2005, 10:24 PM

Glad to hear you guys are excited about your purchases. I switched a little while ago after getting tired of having to 'tweak' windows to make music on my p.c. I havent looked back since and have spent more time making music than I ever did with that ugly beige box... im looking at it now over in the corner of my studio... poor thing, it gets no attention these days. I havent even booted the thing in the last 3 months. oh well. I am sure i will find a use for it. Anyway, just wanted to say welcome.
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

cmx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2005, 06:22 AM

i got my powerbook yesterday and i must say it is pure heaven compared to windoze ..

Barry
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2005, 05:56 PM

Welcome to the light side of the force You will enjoy using your computers for what you bought them for and not have to spend 3/4 of your time on maintenance. No viruses, no spyware...a stable intuitive operating system. You will find your idle time will decrease and your productive time increase, and you will find ways to use the computer for ways you would have never imagined. You also have the generous community of real cool people to help you if you have any questions.

Applesatyr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2005, 06:30 PM

This is fantastic! I am currently typing on my brand-spanking new powerbook (delivered 2 days early) ...and it's beyond words...I think I'll go and set up my wireless connection.
There was a little trouble setting up iwork (nothing to install) but I've sorted that out. I do have a question - I bought office mac and I want to know which program if the office demo, because I want to uninstall that? Also, how do I check the specifications of my pc ( I want to make sure it has the specified gb drive, memory, etc.
Wow, I should have gotten isight to take pics and post them...anyway, thanks for the help macnn...and other people.

Barry
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2005, 08:02 PM

if you bough office, trash the office demo folder in applications.

to check the computer specs, look under the apple menu, anout this mac, more info button

Dewaine
Sep 13, 2005, 08:57 AM

Yes, what Barry said. Just click on the little apple at the top left of the screen and click "about", that will give you computer info. I too have Office Mac (2004) and you do have to delete the demo thing. The funny thing about Office Mac is that it has features that Office does not have on the PC. I have had zero problems bringing in old Word or Excel files from Office for Windows. And I exchange files with Windows users and there is not problem there as well. That was a big deal to me going to Mac. I wanted to be able to continue to use Office, like it or not it is the standard.

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2005, 01:23 PM

Man, I love this forum. Whenever i have a question about my pbook i come here and I get the answers i need... isn't everything supposed to be like this?
( Last edited by sadpandas; Sep 13, 2005 at 01:25 PM. Reason: *)
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

Applesatyr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2005, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the replies...this is making homework so much more enjoyable (though I already liked it) and notetaking in class is easy to pick up in word.

Applesatyr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2005, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the replies...this is making homework so much more enjoyable (though I already liked it) and notetaking in class is easy to pick up in word.

Forum Links
Forum Rules