Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > leopard update probs: power book won't start!!!

leopard update probs: power book won't start!!!
mephastopholes
Feb 22, 2008, 12:10 PM

Hi all,
So, there was a software update that was being installed yesterday and I think that I may have screwed up… long story short, I was in a rush to go head out of the door and I accitdentally shut the laptop down while it was installing the leopard part of the update so that it didn’t completely install. As of right now, when I try to fire it up, its stuck at the grey screen w/ the apple logo and doesn’t go any further. I’m thinking that I can boot up from the original leopard cd and reinstall so it actually starts up completely again, then restore it from the most recent Time Machine file?
This sounds like a logical fix, but another problem I’ve got is that there’s a cd thats currently stuck in the optical drive that I can’t get out…
HELP!!!
Thanks in advance.

ibook_steve
Feb 22, 2008, 01:31 PM

Try starting up in Safe mode (hold shift on boot) and see if you can boot and update correctly.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2008, 01:35 PM

Hold the trackpad button down during startup, which will eventually eject the disk.

All you need is an archive-and-install, preserving users & network settings.

mephastopholes  (op)
Feb 22, 2008, 01:50 PM

I got the old cd out, thanks. Tried booting up but get stuck at the same screen even when holding down the shift key.
Amazing; how do i go about the archive and install dealio?
Thanks again!

mephastopholes  (op)
Feb 22, 2008, 09:14 PM

figured it out after getting the original leopard cd in there and booting from it... seems like all is well.

tgaudmx5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2008, 04:58 PM

hi, I'm having a similar problem as listed above. I'm actually typing this on my iPhone

My powerbook g4 will not boot past the gray/white apple screen. I have the Leopard install disc but don't want to lose my music and photos...

Should I just boot with the install disc and then install the OS with the 'install and archive' option?

I've tried the command opt p r thing, but it still won't boot...

Thanks in advance!!!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 22, 2008, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by tgaudmx5 View Post
Should I just boot with the install disc and then install the OS with the 'install and archive' option?
Yes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules