Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I would get a MacBook Pro if...

I would get a MacBook Pro if...
Strupat
Nov 1, 2006, 07:51 PM

1. It had a two-button touch pad.

2. It had a media card reader.

3. The ports were moved from the right side to the back--have you ever used a mouse with cables coming out of the right side? It is quite annoying and cluttery.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Nov 1, 2006, 07:54 PM

doesn't the MBP have a USB port on the right side?

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2006, 08:14 PM

OMG I'm glad you aren't designing Macs. I would NOT get a MBP for all of those reasons, especially 1 and 3.
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

thebunny
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2006, 08:19 PM

I have a PowerBook with all the stuff coming out the back and it's a pain because you can't keep it in your lap if anything is plugged in. Current design is much better. It's also easier to plug stuff in.

Markg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2006, 08:51 PM

the MBP "kind of" have a 2 button touch pad. If you tap the pad w/ your index and middle finger, you can get the right click.

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2006, 09:08 PM

yeah, why is reason #2 important? a card reader costs like 10$ and they go obsolete pretty fast. also, why cart around those extra grams when you don't need them most of the time on the road (or just get a cardbus slot reader).

as for the 2 button mouse, you say that as someone who hasn't ever used a mac laptop. I was a long term pc user and i forgot about the lack of a right button in like 2 days. You have lots of other options for right clicking.

volcano
Senior User
Nov 1, 2006, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Strupat View Post

3. The ports were moved from the right side to the back--have you ever used a mouse with cables coming out of the right side? It is quite annoying and cluttery.

Ew.

So you want your Mac to look like a boring, cluttered PC laptop? Buy a PC laptop then.

Next thing you know you'll want a dock station for it. Yuck.

phazedowt
Nov 1, 2006, 09:35 PM

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions. Personally, I'd get a MacBook Pro if it 1) had FW800 on the 15" model and 2) had Core 2 processors.... that was how I felt just over a week ago. Now I'm typing this on my brand new MacBook Pro
15" MBP, 2.33 GHz C2D, 120GB HD, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.4. 4GB iPod Nano.

quattrokid73
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2006, 10:05 PM

Well my MBP has a custom intel C6D with 10gb of DDR34,000

and it has a 500gb flash memory HD....

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by quattrokid73 View Post
Well my MBP has a custom intel C6D with 10gb of DDR34,000

and it has a 500gb flash memory HD....
and its psychich and it types your stuff for you and makes love to you spouse for you

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2006, 10:54 PM

my laptop makes god jelous

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 11:24 PM

You guys are entertaining! :-)

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2006, 11:26 PM

Why not get a bluetooth mouse, no?

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2006, 11:33 PM

i agree, im thinkin about the mighty mouse. not sure yet tho, some people have been having trouble

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by volcano View Post
Next thing you know you'll want a dock station for it. Yuck.
Actually I'd really love a docking station for my Macbook at work. I have it sitting up vertically in a stack of books, and have to unplug audio, power, usb, and firewire every time I bring it home with me. Plus, sometimes it doesn't shut go to sleep when I unplug everything and I have to open it and close it to make it sleep.

And I'm getting a Macbook Pro for personal use soon, and kind of wish it had the larger ExpressCard slot so that I could get a Compact Flash reader for it. My DSLR uses CF, and I have always kept a PCMCIA CF reader in my Powerbook. It beats carrying around an external one, or using the cameras USB port.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2006, 04:15 AM

It's better than that: It senses two finger taps.

It does not have one to save space and allow for a slim and sleek design. Readers can be attached through FW, USB, and probably also through the Express/34 slot. Why should everybody pay for a reader that only some need/want?

Side ports are ingenious. It allows the back hinge to attach to the case bottom instead of the upper side. That way the hinge is more stable and more compact. The entire MBP is less thick and takes up less vertical space when opened. In addition it is much easier to attach cables when you can actually see the ports - which you can when they're on the side and you can't when they're on the back below the screen. If you're having trouble with the mouse and the USB port, just chose the second USB port on the other side.

That said, I would like a port for third-party docking stations. A DS is more complicated when it has to connect on ports on both sides and it shows: there is one single MBP docking station - it's expensive, bulky, and ugly. A general docking connector would solve that.

chrismear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2006, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Side ports are ingenious. It allows the back hinge to attach to the case bottom instead of the upper side. That way the hinge is more stable and more compact. The entire MBP is less thick and takes up less vertical space when opened. In addition it is much easier to attach cables when you can actually see the ports - which you can when they're on the side and you can't when they're on the back below the screen. If you're having trouble with the mouse and the USB port, just chose the second USB port on the other side.
All fair points. But I'm sitting here at my desk on my Titanium PowerBook, with all the ports at the back, and I love the fact that all the wires just snake backwards over the back of the desk and I don't have to see any of them. Makes my whole setup very neat.

I'm looking forward to getting a new MacBook Pro, but I'm really not looking forward to having to stare at power, FireWire, two USB and Ethernet cords coming out the side of the unit and effectively making it several inches wider than it already is.

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2006, 01:20 PM

I just had to work on my dads Dell laptop, which has most ports in the back including USB, and it drove me NUTS having to constantly turn it around to plug in a flashdrive.
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2006, 02:44 PM

i'd get an mbp in a second if:

12"
lightweight (duh!)
backlit keyboard
full-spec'd (not crippled)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Forum Links
Forum Rules