Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Monitor Recommendations?

Monitor Recommendations?
zacharykrannert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2007, 10:28 PM

I will be getting a Mac Pro whenever they are upgraded and I am trying to figure out what monitor to buy. The Mac pro is already a little out of my price range so I don't want to spend tons on the monitor. I would like a 24" but a 22" is ok.

Do yall have any recommendations or opinions. The computer will be used for school work, photoshop, and final cut express. and later down the line I might grab another of the same monitor.

zach

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 09:02 AM

Dell 2407WFP or the 2007WFP

Note that 22" LCDs are almost all the same resolution as 20" LCDs.

zacharykrannert  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2007, 08:01 PM

any recommendations for finding it for a better price than dell? i did my basic searching but couldnt find it for less than $550. I know there has to be away to get it for less than that.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2007, 10:36 PM

If you have the time, you can wait for Dell to have it on sale. Sometimes they have quite nice discounts.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 23, 2007, 10:43 PM

I'm watching the prices on 24" monitors also. This is my bookmark for that purpose. It only shows deals under $500.

Oh, and this post should have gone in Peripherals. uh, Consumer Hardware. We really should have renamed it to Consumer Hardware & Peripherals.

musicforme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2007, 11:14 PM

I have the 2007WFP on my PC, but I bought it in mind like you waiting for the Mac Pros to be refreshed. I may buy a second one in the not too distant future after I have the Pro.

I don't have any links handy, but when I did my research at the time Dell was using same panel as Apple in their 20s. A search on Google should turn up some links.

darkfusion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2007, 11:32 PM

I like the Samsung 24" myself. I have the 20" also and it looks great.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2007, 09:42 PM

Have you ever checked Spoofee.com? They have great deals from time to time...and free samples

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2007, 11:48 PM

Dell has a Samsung 24" for cheap

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2007, 12:37 AM

Viewsonic is making some amazing monitors for not much money. All of the graphics series monitors are great.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2007, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by zacharykrannert View Post
I will be getting a Mac Pro whenever they are upgraded and I am trying to figure out what monitor to buy. The Mac pro is already a little out of my price range so I don't want to spend tons on the monitor. I would like a 24" but a 22" is ok.

Do yall have any recommendations or opinions. The computer will be used for school work, photoshop, and final cut express. and later down the line I might grab another of the same monitor.

zach
I did my own shoot out. As of January this year the Gateway 24" was brighter and crisper than other 24" displays available. I like the adjustable stand, the ability to flip them from verticle to horizontal.

Aegis
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2007, 08:43 PM

I recently got the LG 24". I'm very happy with it. I found it to be the best 24", especially if you are a gamer.

zacharykrannert  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2007, 09:58 PM

thanks everyone! i wont be doing any gaming with this monitor. all i do is basic computer research and then photoshop and final cut express

EndlessMac
Senior User
Sep 27, 2007, 07:01 PM

I have a Viewsonic CRT monitor and it works great for photo editing. I still prefer CRT monitors over LCD when it comes to image editing.

Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2007, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
I did my own shoot out. As of January this year the Gateway 24" was brighter and crisper than other 24" displays available. I like the adjustable stand, the ability to flip them from verticle to horizontal.
I do mostly text work (programming) and have four of the Gateway 24" monitors on my desk. The color isn't as good as a high end ViewSonic or Apple but they are crazy cheap. I've had two of them since February and just bought the other two this week.

zacharykrannert  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bwa View Post
I do mostly text work (programming) and have four of the Gateway 24" monitors on my desk. The color isn't as good as a high end ViewSonic or Apple but they are crazy cheap. I've had two of them since February and just bought the other two this week.
i am thinking of going with the gateway. how much of a difference is there from the nicer monitors and it. I will be doing photoshop work and final cut work on them but nothing to fancy. just school stuff. do you recommend them, and also where did you purchase your two from?

ronss
Oct 17, 2007, 02:22 AM

i just bought a hp w2207... its very nice with 22 inches of playground...and $360..... you will not go wrong with this monitor, some say they don,t like the mirror glass , reflects, but it doesn,t bother me.....

HP United States - Computers, Laptops, Servers, Printers & more
( Last edited by ronss; Oct 21, 2007 at 02:20 AM. )

Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2007, 10:20 AM

i am thinking of going with the gateway. how much of a difference is there from the nicer monitors and it. I will be doing photoshop work and final cut work on them but nothing to fancy. just school stuff. do you recommend them, and also where did you purchase your two from?
The two recent purchases came from Gateway's online store. They are offering $80 off (limit 5 displays, so it pays to buy in bulk). The do charge high shipping but since I bought two, and the shipping doesn't double per display, that helped mitigate the cost some.

Circuit City used to carry these, I think Best Buy might as well.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2007, 08:04 PM

Two displays help a lot with productivity, esp. with graphics apps like Photoshop. Certainly shoot for two displays if you can; e.g. IMO for real work two 19" displays is much better than one 24" widescreen. If necessary one can be even smaller and lower quality, just for palettes. You may find best deals in the older non-widescreen format, which there is nothing wrong with.

For sure, check out Costco!

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! often has the best bargains online, changing daily. E.g. right now 20" Viewsonic for $179 plus $13 shipping. New displays from various vendors are constantly coming out (e.g. the NEC announcement below) and prices are falling so look for deals at places like Newegg on older versions (but do not buy used, since displays deteriorate with usage). You may find best deals in the older non-widescreen format, which there is nothing wrong with.

For graphics value Viewsonic has usually presented pretty well. Personally I would avoid HP for Mac graphics, but I generally buy Apple displays for lots of reasons.

From MACNN regarding new NEC:
The 20- and 22-inch models will come in black, while the 19-inch model will also be offered in a white and silver trim. NEC advertises a three year warranty on the new displays, as well as 24/7 customer service and technical support. The 19-inch will be available in late November for $300, with the 20- and 22-inch versions shipping in december for $365 and $390, respectively. Planar and Viewsonic have also recently announced new models.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 20, 2007 at 08:22 PM. )

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2007, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by ronss View Post
i just bought a hp w2207... its very nice with 22 inches of playground...and $360..... you will not wrong with this monitor, some say they don,t like the mirror class , reflects, but it doesn,t bother me.....

HP United States - Computers, Laptops, Servers, Printers & more
ME 2 !

I got mine from bustbuy.com a few months ago for $339 + they gave me a $25 gift card since I ordered it online & p/u at a store (no shipping $$ that way too!)

I absolutely LUV mine
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

ronss
Oct 21, 2007, 02:23 AM

i see hp.com had the w22007 for $330 now....did i get burned.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2007, 03:15 AM

thanks everyone! i wont be doing any gaming with this monitor. all i do is basic computer research and then photoshop and final cut express
If you do color sensitive work I wouldn't go for a cheap monitor.

Or you'll be sorry.

You may have a nice MacPro then, but what you will look at, will look cheap, and not even the MacPro will be able to help you.

I like the cinema displays, and would, in your case, wait for the next generation (you'll wait for the MacPro ugrade anyway, will you?).

And then, I heard the Dell uses the same panel as the cinema display (not sure about that).

OreoCookie
Oct 21, 2007, 06:42 AM

I can only recommend Samsung LCDs, design and quality are great.

However, if you are doing anything that requires color accuracy (as it seems from your post), you (i) mustn't save money on a monitor and (ii) get a color calibration tool such as a Color Spyder (I got mine for $65). I consider the latter an absolute must if you need `good colors'. It doesn't matter how much you spend on a monitor, it'll always need calibration.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

zacharykrannert  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2007, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Two displays help a lot with productivity, esp. with graphics apps like Photoshop. Certainly shoot for two displays if you can; e.g. IMO for real work two 19" displays is much better than one 24" widescreen. If necessary one can be even smaller and lower quality, just for palettes. You may find best deals in the older non-widescreen format, which there is nothing wrong with.

-Allen Wicks
I like the idea of buying two 20" displays. I never thought of that.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! often has the best bargains online, changing daily. E.g. right now 20" Viewsonic for $179 plus $13 shipping. New displays from various vendors are constantly coming out (e.g. the NEC announcement below) and prices are falling so look for deals at places like Newegg on older versions (but do not buy used, since displays deteriorate with usage). You may find best deals in the older non-widescreen format, which there is nothing wrong with.
Would you recommend those monitors or something else. If I can find two 20" displays under 200 each that would be perfect.

However, if you are doing anything that requires color accuracy (as it seems from your post), you (i) mustn't save money on a monitor and (ii) get a color calibration tool such as a Color Spyder (I got mine for $65). I consider the latter an absolute must if you need `good colors'. It doesn't matter how much you spend on a monitor, it'll always need calibration.
When using something like a color spyder you only really have to use it once. So it would be possible to buy it then resell it afterwards correct?

Does anyone disagree with two 20" monitors being better than one 24"?

Thanks for all the continual help everyone!

zachary

OreoCookie
Oct 21, 2007, 11:16 AM

You can always sell something when you don't use it anymore. But you do need to calibrate your screens on a regular basis 3-6 months at least. As for the second question, that's a matter of taste, some people have a strong dislike for multi-monitor setups, while others love them.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2007, 11:29 AM

Go to Costco.com they have 22 and 24 monitors for under $350.

bcpursel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2007, 01:22 PM

anyone with a gateway 24 inch have problems with them getting warm/hot? i have read several online reviews where people mention that. i am looking into a 24 widescreen also and i like the gateway and the samsung, but the samsung construction is just so damn ugly..

i want the gateway, but have been reluctant to buy because of those reviews...some people say its gets really hot and they can feel the warmth radiating from the screen. i have a 19in viewsonic vx900 now, and it is sweet and runs ultra cool.

brightwindows
Baninated
dealstudio spammer
Oct 24, 2007, 02:54 AM

Samsung SM245B is a good choice man.

zacharykrannert  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2007, 08:45 AM

what do yall think of the recently released E248WFP from Dell for $469?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2007, 11:37 AM

Looks fantastic to me if you don't need/want the USB hub or a webcam.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 3, 2007, 02:58 PM

well who fsckin' wants a webcam in their moni... ugh nm.
ice

shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2007, 03:11 PM

I've got a Samsung 225 bw, and I'm happy with it...the 226 bw is out now and you can prob find it for low $300's.

Forum Links
Forum Rules