Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Gmail supports Safari

Gmail supports Safari
plamparello
Nov 9, 2007, 07:40 PM

Safari users can now use gmail + gtalk within the browser window. All I have to say is its about time.
plamparello

mjankor
Nov 9, 2007, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by plamparello View Post
Safari users can now use gmail + gtalk within the browser window. All I have to say is its about time.
Is this just gtalk perhaps, because I've been using gmail in Safari for as far back as I can remember.

plamparello  (op)
Nov 9, 2007, 08:30 PM

yeah, i meant gtalk in particular.
plamparello

Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2007, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by plamparello View Post
Safari 2.0.4 on Tiger still has chat disabled. Also it can't use the newly rolled out updated Gmail web interface. - nor can it use the other Google online apps such as docs.google.com.

It's a real shame that Apple has marginalized its users form one of the webs preeminent online services...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2007, 09:43 PM

You do know that you can download Safari 3 for Tiger, right?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2007, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
You do know that you can download Safari 3 for Tiger, right?
Yes, however, from what I have heard the 3.0.3beta is quite crash prone on Tiger.
Hopefully Apple will fix the issues soon and release 3.x for Tiger.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2007, 05:36 AM

Maybe you should try the Safari 3 beta before condemning it. Before the 3 beta I never used Safari because it was slower than Camino, unreliable, and sucked too much memory. The beta fixed all those problems for me and now I use it all the time.

soho2014
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2007, 11:54 AM

On the PC, there is another program in addition to the built in gtalk, a standalone program called "google talk" which is superior because it includes voice, and also voice mail. There is still no such standalone product from google for the Mac OS X unfortunately, because google talk is great. I especially like the voice mail feature.

soho2014
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2007, 11:58 AM

I tried for many hours last night, [and I'm no Mac OS X rookie], and as far as I'm able to determine, the Lexmark X4850 is too new to work with Leopard, since it appears that there is something faulty from the driver. I was trying to make it print wireless. Clearly it was communicating with the iMac, since I could successfully ping it, and the wireless light on the Lexmark lit up green, but as for actually printing, it refused to print. Then I noticed from other comments on the net that the driver has some flaw in it such that Leopard users as thus far out of luck, unfortunately, because it appeared to be a nice printer.

So, I went back to the old HP G55 printer, which I could only get to work by cleaning out all the HP driver stuff from Leopard, and downloading the driver from the HP site directly,

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2007, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain View Post
Maybe you should try the Safari 3 beta before condemning it. Before the 3 beta I never used Safari because it was slower than Camino, unreliable, and sucked too much memory. The beta fixed all those problems for me and now I use it all the time.
This is when I switched to Safari as well. I use it about 98% of the time, as opposed to exactly the opposite with Firefox a few months ago.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 11, 2007, 12:37 PM

I LOVE Safari 3. I noticed a speed difference between Safari 3 in 10.4 and Safari 3 in 10.5 however. A "bit" faster in 10.5. Not by much though. 10.5 seems to have really polished the underneath of OS X. Apple now needs to fix it's skin.

Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2007, 01:43 PM

This is getting ridiculous.
Safari 3 (on 10.4.11 at least) breaks auto-complete for Gmail contacts in the 'To' field !!
So, if you want to compose a new message you had better know your recipients full email address...
I've had it with half-baked Mac compatibility. In-fact, after 20+ years I've just about had it with Macs period.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2007, 01:56 PM

Perhaps the platform wasn't for you to begin with, then. Meanwhile I've found a site that fails in Windows IE, Windows Firefox, yet works in Safari.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tee View Post
This is getting ridiculous.
Safari 3 (on 10.4.11 at least) breaks auto-complete for Gmail contacts in the 'To' field !!
So, if you want to compose a new message you had better know your recipients full email address...
I've had it with half-baked Mac compatibility. In-fact, after 20+ years I've just about had it with Macs period.
Well then go get a Dell. You'll love all the viruses, malware, Vista incompatiblity.

Forum Links
Forum Rules