Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New Mac Minis on Jan 14?

New Mac Minis on Jan 14?
timmerk
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2007, 08:10 PM

Anyone think new Mac Minis will be released on the 14th of Jan? When was the last time they had an update?

If I buy one now, does Apple have a policy to let me exchange it for a new one, without fees if it's within X days?

Thanks!

Commodus
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2007, 08:32 PM

They were updated in August, along with the release of the new iMacs.

Apple's exchange policy is typically to allow a swap for anyone who bought 10-14 days (someone can clarify) before the update. So in short, don't buy until about a week from now if you want to be safe! I'm not counting on one, but Apple may quietly release an update to Santa Rosa chips if it does anything.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2007, 08:51 PM

The C2D update of the minis was horribly late to market. The mini itself is essentially unchanged since its initial launch.

It would be nice for a new Mac mini to debut. Everyone seems to want the mini to be a DVR and an Apple TV all in one, myself included. I'd consider getting one. However, I think Apple will stay away from recordability because it wants to sell movies to users and not allow them to record their own.

A new mini is possible. With what features... who knows?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

thebobs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2007, 09:27 PM

I had a G4 mini and a C2D mini and I loved them, but I found myself spending more time wishing it had just a little more of this or that. So I sold my last one and bought an iMac, I don't know that we'll see a major change at MacWorld, maybe Santa Rosa chipset and a slight speed bump.
BITE ME

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 09:36 PM

love your sig thebobs!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2008, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
love your sig thebobs!
Yeah, it's like 50,000x to big.

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2008, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
I don't know that we'll see a major change at MacWorld, maybe Santa Rosa chipset and a slight speed bump.
That's all I'm praying for. Otherwise I'll sell my beautiful Dell 2407WFP and get an iMac.

--Chris
Current: iMac 20" 2.4/4/320 / iMac G4 800
Portable: iPhone 3G White/16 / 12" PowerBook 1.5/1.25/80
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iBook G3 700 / PM 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5.5G iPod 30GB

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2008, 10:36 PM

It would be nice is Apple either improved the mini or released the long-wanted "headless iMac".

While the mini is a great computer in a tiny package, i think there are enough users who wouldn't mind more performance in a larger package. We don't all need Mac Pros, but we know a 3.5" hd and standard (non-SODIMM) memory with a desktop processor would be faster than a mini and more-easily upgradeable. Why can't Apple give us that? (There's a rumor it could happen on Jan 14.)

ibr80
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2008, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
It would be nice is Apple either improved the mini or released the long-wanted "headless iMac".

While the mini is a great computer in a tiny package, i think there are enough users who wouldn't mind more performance in a larger package. We don't all need Mac Pros, but we know a 3.5" hd and standard (non-SODIMM) memory with a desktop processor would be faster than a mini and more-easily upgradeable. Why can't Apple give us that? (There's a rumor it could happen on Jan 14.)
Ok!
I just bought the mac mini last night ( base model ) and I wanted to know if I should even open the box until macworld?

I just needed a computer in the worst way and I could not afford
an iMac and didnt want another laptop since my wife dropped my 12" powerbook and broke it. Can somebody who has purcahsed one of the new one tell me if they are happy with it, Im mostly going to use it for surfing, iPhoto, iMovie & Photoshop. And does anybody know if I can return it if its opened, if say a new revised one was realeased at macword?

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2008, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
We don't all need Mac Pros, but we know a 3.5" hd and standard (non-SODIMM) memory with a desktop processor would be faster than a mini and more-easily upgradeable. Why can't Apple give us that? (There's a rumor it could happen on Jan 14.)
I don't think that will happen. The iMac only has a mobile-grade processor, so it's unlikely anything else would get a desktop-grade processor except for the Mac Pro.

Originally Posted by ibr80 View Post
Ok!
I just bought the mac mini last night ( base model ) and I wanted to know if I should even open the box until macworld?
Patience. I'm holding out for the slim chance there is a new mini.

Either way the resale value is so high you wouldn't lose much if you really need to open the box now and use it. Check with Apple -- there is a 10 day grace period or maybe less on product refreshes.

--Chris
Current: iMac 20" 2.4/4/320 / iMac G4 800
Portable: iPhone 3G White/16 / 12" PowerBook 1.5/1.25/80
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iBook G3 700 / PM 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5.5G iPod 30GB

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2008, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by ibr80 View Post
Ok!
You should never buy a computer this close to MacWorld. Don't open it. Borrow a computer in the meantime if you need one.

If nothing is announced, then you can use it.

ibr80
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2008, 10:51 PM

Then again if I open it, would't I be able to just take it back and say I dont want it?

What is apple Return policy? 30 Days?
I figure Apple will not update the mac mini considering it was just done in August!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 03:39 PM

Wouldn't be so sure of that on an opened box. If you give it back sealed they can put it back on their shelf, if its open, its second hand goods.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

evoLver
Jan 15, 2008, 05:24 PM

So nothing from Macworld.

Any ideas if there may be another window of opportunity soon?
15" Macbook Pro / 2.2ghz / 4g ram / 10.6

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 06:54 PM

Silent updates on apple.com have been known to happen shortly after a Macworld. If there's a big update or new model, there might be a press event announced at some time.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 08:25 PM

No new mini. No new Apple TV. D'oh.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 10:01 PM

I'm a little bummed that we did not see an update to the iMac line. If one had showed up, I probably would have jumped on it.

Under the circumstances, with apple releasing the MacPro update last week, and not mentioning any update to the imac, I think the odds are rather low for us to see a "stealth" update to the line.

evoLver
Jan 17, 2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Silent updates on apple.com have been known to happen shortly after a Macworld. If there's a big update or new model, there might be a press event announced at some time.

So, might it still happen yet, or when is the next big trade show?
15" Macbook Pro / 2.2ghz / 4g ram / 10.6

anselm
Jan 18, 2008, 10:23 AM

It can happen anytime.

As far as I remember (maybe I`m wrong) Apple has released new computers only few weeks after Macworld in recent years.

The release of new Mac Pro revisions prior to Macworld is a similar event.

I don`t see any indications that Apple cannot release new Mac minis soon. Maybe next week - maybe not. "It`s done when it`s done."

stukdog
Jan 18, 2008, 07:01 PM

As you can imagine, I keep a pretty good eye on the minis and their availability. (see signature)

I've been able to predict the last 3 refreshes by how much stock my suppliers have on hand.

Right now, everything seems normal so my guess is no updates for a while.
Macminicolo.net - Your mini. Our data center. The perfect low-cost server.

Forum Links
Forum Rules