Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > eyetv 3 software impressions

eyetv 3 software impressions
joe
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2008, 01:12 AM

I own an older eyetv200 tv tuner (US version) with 1.8.x software and am thinking about upgrading to version 3. However, there were some features I was waiting for and was wondering if anyone with eyetv 3 software check on these:

1 - did eyetv software ever gain the ability to capture the "episode" name for recordings from the TitanTV web site? [the show "title" and "description" are captured in version 1.8.x but not the "episode"]

2 - can eyetv 3 schedule different recording speeds for different shows in advance? [ex mpeg4 long play vs standard vs best]

3 - can eyetv 3 support more than one tuner? [ex 1 firewire & 1 USB or other combinations]

Overall, how do eyetv 3 software users like the latest version compared to version 2 and older?

Thanks!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2008, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by joe View Post
3 - can eyetv 3 support more than one tuner? [ex 1 firewire & 1 USB or other combinations]
I don't know about version 3 (still on 2.5 myself), but eyeTV has been able to run two tuners simultaneously since 1.x.

Never tried programming to shows concurrently, though, so I don't know if it will automagically choose the other tuner for a second recording.

idykenano
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2008, 08:22 AM

1- Yes. I am using 3.x right now and it captures show name, episode title, and episode summary from the TitanTV page.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2008, 07:31 PM

For the people still stuck on 2.5.x, is it really worth upgrading? I'm pretty happy with it as is, and they seem to release a steady trickle of point upgrades to fix bugs.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2008, 05:24 AM

We have v. 3 set up at work, and let me tell you, it's still the same assortment of complete **** and lame drivel on TV.

Not an upgrade, really.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2008, 08:15 AM

Haha. That's why I use EyeTV mainly for the Wii and PS2 and never for watching actual TV.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

joe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
I don't know about version 3 (still on 2.5 myself), but eyeTV has been able to run two tuners simultaneously since 1.x.
El Gato's response to the same question was that it was "not supported" at v1.x. But that it may be in a future version of EyeTV software. At the time I was planning on buying an EyeTV500 which was digital-only. So I needed my 200 to keep recording analog NTSC.

joe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2008, 11:43 AM

So far it looks like the only thing I'd gain for the $79US upgrade to v3 is episode titles. No offense, but that seems like more of a bug fix since that feature was part of v1.x. At least if I could schedule different recording speeds that would make the upgrade worthwhile.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 3, 2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by joe View Post
1 - did eyetv software ever gain the ability to capture the "episode" name for recordings ...
2 - can eyetv 3 schedule different recording speeds for different shows in advance?
3 - can eyetv 3 support more than one tuner?

Overall, how do eyetv 3 software users like the latest version compared to version 2 and older?
1. Yes.
2. No.
3. Yes.

I can't comment on earlier versions, as I have only used version 3.

Forum Links
Forum Rules