Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > mattebook...

mattebook...
fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2009, 01:44 PM

laugh if you will but i am considering this:

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/macworld/...ntformacbook_1

this has been available for the pro, and now the macbook.

i love my new macbook; it is small, light, fast. bright. not too hot... but i still prefer a matte screen.
this seems an affordable option.

any thoughts/insults/comments?
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2009, 02:02 PM

There was a "Hands-on" article in MacWorld last month and while the results were pleasing for the author, the MBP came back scratched and dented.

Here's the long running thread on that article MacWorld

All in all, even if the scratches were small, I don't want to take a chance on damaging my MBP. Plus at least for me, I don't mind the glossy display.
~Mike

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2009, 02:13 PM

The real question is why you're not selling your glossy MB and buying a previous generation matte MBP. Yes, it's bigger than the 12"--I know 'cause I switched from a 12" to an MBP. The 12" is still sitting right next to the MBP, and I can tell you it's not that much harder to lug around. The larger size has its drawbacks, but the pluses of "matte, hugely better viewing angles, hugely better desktop real estate" more than make up for it.)

From reading your posts since getting the unibody MB, the "glowing happiness with my new purchase" just doesn't seem to outweigh the "but I really can't stand glossy."

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2009, 02:58 PM

well, actually, your last sentence says it exactly: enjoying "glowing happiness with my new purchase but i really can't stand glossy"...

i may not do anything; it's not URGENT. and i am getting so much work done (and having so much fun) with my macbook as is...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2009, 04:46 PM

I would go for an antiglare film also available at the Apple Store instead of that other option… a scratched MB, hell not !!

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2009, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
I would go for an antiglare film also available at the Apple Store instead of that other option… a scratched MB, hell not !!
an antiglare film is a bandaid, i was considering an actual fix...

am gonna wait, for now. am managing fine with the reflective screen (and am a good-looking guy anyway, since i have to look at myself a lot on this mac...)

joe
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2009, 09:01 PM

Well said. The films are a poor substitute and prone to problems of their own. Even if you follow the directions, you're going to end up with tiny bumps from unforeseen dust specs. Not to mention air bubbles. You can minimize them with care, but I've yet to see anything that looks as good as a genuine matte LCD.

Forum Links
Forum Rules