Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Laser mouse button support

Laser mouse button support
joe
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2012, 03:39 PM

I'm looking into a new Laser Mouse with extra buttons for FPS style games. I currently own a Razer DeathAdder & Razer Imperator. I've been primarily using the Imperator as it's incredibly accurate for FPS games (my fav). The sensor just died and my fallback (DeathAdder) just isn't cutting it for FPS games.

The DeathAdder driver has full multi-button and better on-the-fly sensitivity support. The Imperator driver is very basic and doesn't support the extra buttons in OSX. I could never get Expose to find them either. Even so, the Imperator was my go-to gaming mouse because of its incredible accuracy.

There has to be something better by now that gives Mac owners both the accuracy of a laser based mouse and full mult-button support? Any recommendations / experience with recent Laser mice with multi-button support in OSX sincerely appreciated.

joe  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2012, 03:16 AM

I should've checked the Apple Store under keyboard and mouse before starting this thread. The R.A.T. 7 Contagion mouse was apparently released last fall. It's one fugly looking but extremely impressive multi-buttom 6400dpi laser gaming mouse. It has excellent Mac support too (unlike my Imperator). It's the most customizable mouse (software & hardware) I've ever come across.

A visit to Cyborg Gaming's site shows a new MMO version with an impressive amount of customizable buttons. Plus a new shift lock feature for the primary left & right mouse buttons. Cyborg Gaming seems far ahead of the competition with these products. And I sincerely appreciate the level of Mac support they're providing. The Contagion will be an excellent replacement for my Imperator

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2012, 01:00 PM

USB Overdrive and SteerMouse both offer great solutions for mice that don't have out-of-the-box OSX compatibility.

Forum Links
Forum Rules