Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Old Computer (what should i do with it?)

Old Computer (what should i do with it?)
andypolack
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2001, 03:25 PM

It's a Performa 575 (old, I know) I have less that 100 megs left on my hard drive, I can no longer run the computer in anything above 256 color so what can I use it for? It's also NOT online.

P.S. I am typing this on my iMacDV, NOT my Performa!

VRL
Senior User
Feb 11, 2001, 06:06 AM

Old Macs are great! I use one for home automation (http://www.shed.com), another for an "in-house" mail server using SIMS (freeware). Can also use it as a fax machine, even a web server (for small network, e.g.). Also have used one for computerized cookbook in (near) kitchen.

Best regards ...
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Wetsponge
Feb 11, 2001, 01:07 PM

I have a stack of older computers, a PM 6100/80 (clock chipped), a performa 600CD and a mac LC. the LC and 600CD have mac os 7.5.3, the LC is a DNS server, and the 600CD is a mail server. the PM 6100/80 is running a Linux Distrib and is running as a web server, all going off of my DSL line. if you're interested,
http://www.ironduckproductions.com

Tim Michael [finboy]
Feb 16, 2001, 09:04 PM

If nothing else, you can give it to some enterprising high school student or a niece or nephew. The OS support is on line now (at apple, they can download 7.5.3 for free) and there are lots of sites with software and cheap printers, etc. That's a perfect thing to do with older computers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules