Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Downgrading a Whitebook and can't w/ Apple discs.

Downgrading a Whitebook and can't w/ Apple discs.
bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2008, 05:32 PM

So I called Applecare the other day for a few problems I'm having w/ my new Whitebook. End of the call resulted in Applecare sending me some hardware restore CD's w/ Tiger on it so I could downgrade. I tried to use them to install but it says "Can't install on this hardware". Is there something I'm missing? I tried resetting the pram, but thats about it. I even wiped the drive with disk utility first. Still no go. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Bishop
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

ibook_steve
Mar 23, 2008, 05:43 PM

If it's a brand new MB, why did they send you Tiger disks? Tiger won't work. You need to get Leopard disks. Perhaps you did not identify the correct model machine to Applecare.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

daybreak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2008, 12:10 AM

i believe the OP wants to downgrade to tiger. Perhaps one o the progs he uses isn't leopard supported yet, such as pro tools 7.4 LE.
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8ghz 8gb RAM
Penryn Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 2gb Ram
Academy of Art University

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2008, 12:17 AM

You're probably right daybreak. To the OP: You'll have to get a used Mac or find a new one that doesn't have Leopard installed if you want to run Tiger. There are probably a few newer Macs without Leopard floating around...

bishopazrael  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2008, 12:52 AM

Yeah its a new macbook, so it came with leopard. My understanding was that these 2ghz macbooks should be able to install Tiger because that's what was originally on them to begin with.

I've got a macbook that goes up to 4gb.

I really want to downgrade. Too many issues with networking, fans running all the time when i have external drives plugged in, printing over the network crashes whatever proggie I'm trying to print from, sometimes it just seems so... slow. Tiger never had any problems for me on my MBP. I know it's 2 different machines, but ugh... I just want to go back to tiger.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2008, 04:20 AM

The install disc Apple sent you will be for a specific machine. They will check your machine first and finding themselves not at home will fail to install.

To install using the discs apple sent you you will need to download an app called Pacifist which will allow you to by pass the install check, however it may not be wise to do a full system install this way, even though Pacifist will let you.

As long as you have a MacBook that came with Tiger at some point you should be fine using a full retail version of Tiger, if you can find one (ebay)

If you go the Pacifist route, back up everything, real well.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2008, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by bishopazrael View Post
My understanding was that these 2ghz macbooks should be able to install Tiger because that's what was originally on them to begin with... I've got a macbook that goes up to 4gb.
The only MacBooks that have ever been able to fully support 4GB of RAM have come with Leopard installed. The last model that could run Tiger was discontinued in November 2007 and could support ~3GB.

So, to run Tiger, you would need to return your new MacBook and look for a refurbished/second-hand model.

The way to make sure you get a Tiger capable MacBook will be get one with the Intel GMA 950 graphics rather than Intel GMA X3100.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2008, 05:55 AM

Do you mean actually addresses 4GB or can install 4GB. If the former then, yes that's a Lepoard only machine. Tiger will not run. If you can fit 4GB but only use 3 then you will be OK with Tiger on that machine.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 24, 2008, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by bishopazrael
So I called Applecare the other day for a few problems I'm having w/ my new Whitebook. End of the call resulted in Applecare sending me some hardware restore CD's w/ Tiger on it so I could downgrade. I tried to use them to install but it says "Can't install on this hardware". Is there something I'm missing? I tried resetting the pram, but thats about it. I even wiped the drive with disk utility first. Still no go. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Bishop
Bishopazrael, all new MacBooks come with Leopard and can't be downgraded to Tiger. The old discs don't contain the drivers for the new hardware and the discs are also looking for an older MacBook version which is the reason they won't let you install.

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
As long as you have a MacBook that came with Tiger at some point you should be fine using a full retail version of Tiger, if you can find one (ebay).
'Fraid not. Retail versions of Tiger are PPC only, they won't work on Intel Macs.

hedmisten
Mar 24, 2008, 02:39 PM

yep no downgrading...sorry leopard didnt work out for you, its done very well for me so far.
08 Whitebook 2.2 2.0.120.

bishopazrael  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2008, 03:07 PM

craptastic. Thanks for the feedback you guys. Yeah its things like...

My printer is a networked printer and every time I try to print to it my proggie crashes. Googled the problem and found basically bumpkis on it. I'm SOL for now.

Thanks.
Bishop

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 24, 2008, 03:28 PM

Last time I printed to my networked Epson laser printer, I got a spinning beachball of death, but it came back and printed fine.

Have you tried a new printer driver?

Forum Links
Forum Rules