Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Time machine ate my stuff.... well... not really...

Time machine ate my stuff.... well... not really...
bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2008, 01:31 AM

But I wiped my drive tonight after doing a backup. I set up mail with my first email account, my .me account, then go into time machine, and lo and behold... nothing to restore to. What am I doing wrong? I even used the same user name and everything.

So... 2 questions.
1. Can I get time machine to do what I want it to do which is to give me back my email using time machine?

2. Failing that, what folders can I copy out of the back up because I know its just folders...not an application type of document backup. What folders do I need to copy back to my hdd to get my mailbox like it was 2 minutes before I wiped my drive?

Thanks,
Jason
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2008, 05:44 AM

~/Library/Mail
~/Library/Mail Downloads
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.searchhistory.plist

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2008, 05:45 AM

Also:

~/Library/Application Support/Mail for the stationery templates if you've installed any third party ones.

OreoCookie
Oct 29, 2008, 06:02 AM

If you would have used Migration Assistant, you could have restored your whole user directory at once.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

bishopazrael  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2008, 10:00 AM

Firstly thank you guys for the tips... I'll be doing that today. Second... Oreo... I passed on doing the migration assistant or the other option of restoring from a time machine backup because I wanted to avoid importing my whole library. I had been playing around with so many different plugins... I just needed a fresh start. I had been hoping that if I just gave myself a new account on a new install with the same user name that it would just work. I guess it didn't.

But please tell me Oreo, because now I'm curious... after I've done a fresh install, what's the difference in the setup between using migration assistant and restore from time machine.

Thanks again guys, I've got a busy morning ahead of me.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

bishopazrael  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2008, 11:04 AM

and what of the address book? Is it pretty much the same?

Forum Links
Forum Rules