Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > I want to make a nature walk recording

I want to make a nature walk recording
bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2008, 01:51 AM

I know.. it sounds kinda corny, but I'd like to find a program or something to use, that's like a sound board you know? For like nature sounds, stuff like that. I've been expierimenting with ideas but nothing seems to work. Does garage band have plugins for nature sound effects? Or like, monks chanting, that kind of stuff. Lots of people use it for meditation, but I've never found one that really worked for me, so I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had any suggestions.

Thanks,
Bishop
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2008, 03:30 AM

"+" - "Software instrument" - then at right, "Sound Effects" - "Nature Sounds"

Different sounds assigned across the playable keyboard range.

bishopazrael  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2008, 02:49 PM

analogika... I don't understand at all what you're talking about. I have absolutely zero knowledge of anything audio other than using itunes.

ps.... your music kicks ass. Checked out your myspace... you got mad skillz.
( Last edited by bishopazrael; Mar 12, 2008 at 03:02 PM. )
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2008, 02:51 PM

He's talking about Garageband.

-t

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2008, 02:56 PM

Sorry - I assumed that since you were asking in part about GarageBand, and that comes preloaded on every single Mac, you'd at least bothered to take a brief look at it before asking a couple hundred people...

bishopazrael  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2008, 04:10 PM

I had no idea garageband could do that. Thanks for pointing it out. I've been using macs for 6 years now, but I've never once messed with garage band. As a matter of fact, every time I've installed OS X I've deselected garageband so as to not waste hard drive space on something I've never had to use. Sorry if my never having touched garageband offends, as it seems I've done. Not sure why that would be. The one time I looked at garage band was in an apple store waiting for something else to finish up. I know absolutely nothing about music, and having all this time on my hands after my surgery, I figured I'd ask. However now I know I shouldn't ask stupid questions about something that I know absolutely nothing about, nor should I be asking people who clearly know more than me. Sorry for insulting the collective intelligence of the Macnn readers everywhere. I see my impression that that's what this forum was for was wrong.

Bishop

edit: I want to be clear, I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I found that last post actually kind of insulting, and I really don't think it was called for. You could have left it at just saying add an instrument in garage band and select the nature sounds.

Not everyone who uses a mac uses garageband. Nor imovie. Or Idvd. I understand that there are some mac fanatics who consider it blasphemy to own a mac and not make wonderous and glorious music with it, or dvd's, but there's a large cross section of people who really DONT use a mac for much more than business and web work. I don't take it personal analogika, usually we're on the same path. Just... next time try to keep in mind, there are folks who really don't know all that it can do, and it takes asking here on the forum. That IS what it's for ....... isn't it?
( Last edited by bishopazrael; Mar 12, 2008 at 04:16 PM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2008, 06:33 PM

sorry, man - it seemed like you had a clue, since you mentioned it, and I took your post a little bit as a request for help without doing your homework.

Sorry if I got a little testy - I've been spending a little too much time here lately, and starting to get on the "basic netiquette of old school" bandwagon out of sheer annoyance at being ill.

I apologize for the overreaction, and I've obviously struck a nerve I didn't mean to.

BTW, you can probably also search the web for "nature sound samples" or such, and just drag them into GarageBand alongside whatever the internal instrument supplies to compose your own trip. I'm not sure how good the stuff is in the supplied sound effects library.

bishopazrael  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2008, 07:05 PM

Hey... no sweat man. I totally get being ill making you testy...Thanks for the help.. I had to go and install gb from the dvd.... which kinda sucks because leopard's been so.... unpolished I'm thinking of downgrading to tiger again.

But I did find the sounds and stuff.. but with no musical keyboard I think I'm stuck. I'm reading and working with GB right now to see how to do this with a kb & mouse.

bishopazrael  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2008, 07:17 PM

Ok so I found the keyboard maps... nice.... but I think I'm going to need more sound loops and such. Off to google to find something! Thanks Analog, it pointed me exactly where I needed to go.

Bishop

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2008, 04:57 AM

I take it you've discovered that you can switch through the various octaves using the keyboard-mapped keyboard?

Happy playing!

bishopazrael  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2008, 01:37 AM

I know it's a long shot... but can anyone recommend a website that has monks chanting or singing without musical instruments? I've searched on all the major search engines... couldn't really find any good loops or anything to use. I'd be grateful if someone has a link to somewhere I can look. The style I'm looking for is gregorian if possible.

Thanks for any tips on searching google and such.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2008, 04:43 AM

some here if you scroll down: Chant Links

You might be able to find something by scouring this link collection: Free Samples Links Page

Forum Links
Forum Rules