Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Speakers went south... looking for new ones...

Speakers went south... looking for new ones...
bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2008, 01:11 AM

Ok so 5 years ago I bought the Klipsch speakers from the Apple store. Loved the sound that they gave, very clear and realistic. My wife has a pair of those old JBL creature speakers.. which are now on my desk, and I hate them. Truly horrid little speakers. By the way I'm using the Macbook to push them. So anyways, my Klipsch speakers developed a short. Not sure it it's in the power cable or the connector inside the speaker, but it's there. They refuse to power on anymore unless I pull the cable down under the speaker and towards the front.

So I'm on the hunt for a new pair of computer speakers. I'd like to get something without a subwoofer like the Klipsch. Made taking them around to events and such much easier. I would try and get the klipsch fixed but they only give their speakers a 1 year warranty. Sucks to be me right?

So I'd like to know your recommendations for a good set of speakers without a subwoofer, and what can I do with the Klipsch speakers? SHould I just sell them or is this something that no one's going to buy because it's out of date?

Thanks for the help guys.
Bishop
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2008, 03:50 PM

If it's a cable short, you could try to replace the cable yourself. Can the speakers be opened ?
Are they screwed or glued ?

-t

bishopazrael  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2008, 03:56 PM

Well if it's the power cable Klipsch says it's $60 for the replacement. At that point I might as well buy a new pair. I'd think that the speakers are screwed underneath the rubber foot pads on the bottom. I'm leaning towards buying a new pair. I don't know, I think part of me is just wanting to get a new pair of speakers. I miss the Klipsch set already as the creatures on my desk are very thin and tinny sounding.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2008, 03:58 PM

Dude, how much would new speakers be ?
You never get a good speaker replacement for $ 60.

If you really like them as much as you say, just get the new cable.

-t

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2008, 08:16 PM

turtle was referring to fixing them yourself. If these are 5 years old and still sound the way you like, fixing it yourself would be a good + cheap solution. If you're not excited about opening up the cabinet or whatever to fix what needs fixin', then maybe fixing it yourself is a bad idea. : )

Do you know what line of Klipsch they are? I have the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 setup and they really bang good. I have no need for portable speakers though. What type of events are you taking your speakers to?

here for $122
Klipsch PROMEDIA 2.1 ProMedia 2.1 System

ice

tridentinecanon
Apr 19, 2008, 08:40 PM

Recommendation:

EDIROL MA-15D Digital Stereo Micro Monitor :: Overview

There's usually a good refurb pair of those being sold somewhere on the internet. They aren't small or cheap, but they are worth square-inch and penny.

Throw your Klipsch's into the Strait of Gibraltar.

bishopazrael  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2008, 10:52 PM

I usually take my MB outside to the patio for bbq's and such during the summer. Or to events where I'm likely to sit around for a while. I'm an avid airsoft player but with my surgery I can't play just yet. So now I go to just hang with the guys and such.

Forum Links
Forum Rules