Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > USB Dual layer slim drives

USB Dual layer slim drives
bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2008, 01:08 PM

Has anyone used another type of usb slim dvd burner with their macbooks? I'm wanting to pick one up, don't want to have to hack it like the MBA superdrive.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2008, 06:58 PM

bishopazrael  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2008, 09:55 PM

yeah... I was just hoping someone else might have actually bought one and used it and could tell me some of the pro's and cons. I know from experience that the Sony drive would pick up and such, but any time I've tried to use it via toast it would just lock up and never finish... had a 100% failure rate on my current macbook. IDK why. You would think Sony would have done better. If no one else has input I think I'll just go for this one. Thanks M.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2008, 11:02 PM

Sorry I can't help you with an actual review, I use the Apple one with my MBAir, but I wouldn't touch most Sony products with a 10 foot pole.

bishopazrael  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2008, 11:40 PM

It's ok M. I'm used to taking a leap of faith on some of their products, and everyone else that's had that drive has been happy so I figure I'll try it and see what happens. If nothing else, it'd be kinda cool to see which would have been better in terms of performance. When I get it I'll update this one. I know I can't be the only guy looking for a good external slim dvd for an oakley laptop bag and a 'book.

Forum Links
Forum Rules