Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I'm going to Paris... any suggestions?

I'm going to Paris... any suggestions?
sworthy
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 06:26 PM

Spring break is now upon me, and I'm going to go visit my girlfriend in Paris (she's studying abroad this semester). Anyone been there before? I know the major things to do, but I was wondering if anyone had any hidden gems.

Also, do you think it will be dangerous (with the whole US/France thing going on?

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2003, 06:32 PM

Guy I work with was just there. He was quite nervious about the whole thing. Turned out is was unfounded. He said he clearly felt that the French were anti-Bush, not anti-American.

He is a regular traveller and he said he had a wonderful time. France was as beautiful, friendly and inviting as it always is.

If you do find yourself in a tight spot, though, you can always fake a canadian accent.

Seriously though, my friend insisted that he felt no animosity whatsoever. Even when the topic of the current crisis came up, he says the anger was reserved for governemnt policies, not for people.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2003, 06:35 PM

France is fun. ... just not the cities, the countryside. That is where I'd go.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2003, 06:39 PM

Hmmm...I was in Paris for the start of the last Gulf War ...I remember just keeping my International Herald Tribune neatly folded...

As for the important stuff, food, everything's great. For whatever reason, a few things pop to mind:

Cafe Bricolage (no, I did not make that name up) will give you a good retro laugh: it's in the basement of La Sammaratine (a middling department store, right bank, a cot� La Seine, not so far from Hotel de Ville), go through the hardware section and have a coffee there, then go up to the top of La Sammaratine and check out the view towards the Pantheon.

A good bakery is just north of St Eustache which is on the northern edge of Les Halles on a pedestrian street. Go up rue Montorgeuil (towards Montmarte) and "Poke your nose into Stohrer at number 51, a pastry shop founded in 1730, claiming to be the oldest in Paris. The gorgeous ceiling and walls flow with garlands of flowers and cavorting women, decorated by the painter Paul Baudry in 1864."

Best croissant I ever did have.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2003, 06:47 PM

If you want good service, and people to be nice to you... Wear a Saddam mask.

Patton76
Mar 12, 2003, 07:01 PM

Seems people are a bit narrowminded here, if you think that Europeans suddenly hate Americans, well that's sort of attitude is what we're against, ...

Paris is a wonderfull city. Tell me we're you're interested in, and I'll give you some tips.

Since the current atmosphere here, you'll could visit musee de l'armee, and see what war does to people.

Maybe some people think they are napoleon... (his grave is there to)

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2003, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by Patton76:
Seems people are a bit narrowminded here, if you think that Europeans suddenly hate Americans, well that's sort of attitude is what we're against, ...

Paris is a wonderfull city. Tell me we're you're interested in, and I'll give you some tips.

Since the current atmosphere here, you'll could visit musee de l'armee, and see what war does to people.

Maybe some people think they are napoleon... (his grave is there to)
I don't think they hate americans...

I'm just mentioning the love towards Saddam.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Mar 12, 2003, 07:06 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jul 6, 2004 at 03:21 AM. )

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2003, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
Run. Do not walk to Berthillon ice cream in l'�le Saint Louis. Wait in line. Order some ice cream. Get back and line. Repeat.

http://www.berthillon-glacier.fr/historique3.html

And if you don't go to the Musee D'Orsay, then you're a complete fool. But I guess you were already planning on going there, though?

Also, if you get the chance, get out of Paris. The country-side is much nicer.
Just don't load the template made website

Patton76
Mar 12, 2003, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:

Nobody here loves Saddam, it's just pathetic how some people want to start a war without any reason, just for their fun, amusement and pocket.

There are more countries in the world who don't follow the UN resolutions than Irak, to name a few, North Korea, Israel, ...

But that doesn't seem to be a problem.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2003, 07:48 PM

I second daimoni's suggestions and would add Centre Pompidou.

I have an idea that your girlfriend has a few things planned, I'm sure.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Axel
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2003, 07:50 PM

If you want good service, and people to be nice to you... Wear a Saddam mask.

Just don't load the template made website
If you're going to make silly remarks at every post here, and say nothing constructive and relevant to the thread's subject, please stop right there.
You have absolutely no idea what french people love, nor do I have any idea what american people love. Stop pretending you know everything about us.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2003, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Timo:
Hmmm...I was in Paris for the start of the last Gulf War ...I remember just keeping my International Herald Tribune neatly folded...
Clarification: I remember a lot of anti-war protests near Bastille, but I never felt menanced merely for being an American. Not then, not now.

S Monkey
Mar 12, 2003, 08:24 PM

Also, do you think it will be dangerous (with the whole US/France thing going on?
Dangerous ?!

The anti-french propaganda in the US scares me ...

snotnose
Senior User
Mar 12, 2003, 08:30 PM

take deoderant!!!
Nothing is older than the idea of new

mr. natural
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 08:35 PM

Springtime in Paris! With a girlfriend already there. Lucky you.

I took my girlfriend there back in '93 -- she's now my wife.

I'd recommend going to Claude Monet's home in Giverny (just outside Paris), but it may be closed til April.

Otherwise, take a good pair of comfortable walking shoes and just plain WALK around everywhere. It is a great city, one to droll over. There's a saying about "licking the windows." You'll get it when you get there.

The ice cream at Berthillon is good too.

snotnose
Senior User
Mar 12, 2003, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by Patton76:
Nobody here loves Saddam, it's just pathetic how some people want to start a war without any reason, just for their fun, amusement and pocket.

There are more countries in the world who don't follow the UN resolutions than Irak, to name a few, North Korea, Israel, ...

But that doesn't seem to be a problem.
yep and those countries are going to be next, without france's help. i am trying to figure out france's brilliant plan with dealing with these problems. ignore them (because france is truely the country worried about their pockets with all there saddam profits),
or should we take on every problem at the same time... if that is a french idea, no wonder why people are doubting their brainpower...
maybe if we just ignore france they will go back to realizing they stopped being a superpower after germany demonstrated it the last time

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 08:39 PM

paris?

f*cking traitor

go check out britain or someplace in the US
snappy

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 12, 2003, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by snotnose:
yep and those countries are going to be next, without france's help. i am trying to figure out france's brilliant plan with dealing with these problems. ignore them (because france is truely the country worried about their pockets with all there saddam profits),
or should we take on every problem at the same time... if that is a french idea, no wonder why people are doubting their brainpower...
maybe if we just ignore france they will go back to realizing they stopped being a superpower after germany demonstrated it the last time
We have about 250 f*cking threads about this crap, both pro and anti- just about everything having to with it. Go post in one of those. I am sick and tired of every non-war related thread getting derailed. Because a guy wants some info on Paris, does not mean that you need to start the French bashing bullshit. Give it a rest. Post something germane to the subject, or don't post in the thread.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Axel
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2003, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
We have about 250 f*cking threads about this crap, both pro and anti- just about everything having to with it. Go post in one of those. I am sick and tired of every non-war related thread getting derailed. Because a guy wants some info on Paris, does not mean that you need to start the French bashing bullshit. Give it a rest. Post something germane to the subject, or don't post in the thread.
Thank you

snotnose
Senior User
Mar 12, 2003, 08:58 PM

i wish you could do that with france too... hehe

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2003, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by S Monkey:
Dangerous ?!

The anti-french propaganda in the US scares me ...
Actually, this goes well before this whole Iraq thing....

Travel Agents, even schools warn before trips/foreign exchange...

French are known for exploiting/robbing Americans...

It's not necessarally they will kill americans... but will take advantage.

More than most other Europian countries.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2003, 09:02 PM

Ever been to France? Hm?
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

sworthy  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 09:12 PM

thanks for the tips, so far I think I'm going with these...

Cafe Bricolage
Stohrer at number 51
Berthillon ice cream
walking EVERYWHERE

By the way... what's with the ice cream? Is it like Italian Ghelato (sp?)

Patton76
Mar 12, 2003, 09:20 PM

This is the biggest crap I ever read!

Be sure to watch out for the little green men, nowadays there all over France, even Europe.

Btw, here in Belgium we rob kidney's of every toerist that visits, djeezes

simonjames
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 09:52 PM

I've been to Paris a dozen times. My favourite thing to do is just wander the streets with camera in hand. Also - buy a 10 book of tickets for the subway - you save heaps when compared to buying individual tickets. Food is very expensive - steer clear of American style (like McDs or pizza hut) as they are way over priced.

To visit :-

Muse D'orsay

Arc de triomphe

centre georges pompidou

la defence - the business area but it has the 'grand arch' (an amazing building on a direct radial from the arc de triomphe) and a great train tour through the area (sounds bad but it is actually very good

plus a day trip out to versailles
this sig intentionally left blank

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2003, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
Ever been to France? Hm?
No, but inquired about it a few times.

talisker
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2003, 01:39 AM

I'll second the votes for the Musee D'Orsay, and La Defence. Also the Orangerie art gallery is great. Not too big, but has Monet's gigantic water-lily paintings which really do need to be seen for real to appreciate them. Another interesting museum is called (I think) Musee d'Arts et Metiers and it's an old church that's been converted into a museum full of old mechanical things (cars, planes, clocks etc). It's all a little bit run down but very atmospheric. It also has a Foucalts Pendulum, and it was in fact where the initial pages of the book by Umberto Eco were set. I seem to remember it's slightly out from the centre, but worth investigating, especially if you like slightly techy things. Pere Lachaise cemetary is pretty amazing too. Not just where Jim Morrison now resides, but Oscar Wilde, Descartes, and loads of others, and it is a massive place. Apart from that do just walk around, there's such a variety of different areas and things to see, and the really touristy stuff like the Eiffel tower, the Louvre, boat trips on the Seine, Notre Dame, are actually all well worth doing.

All this anti-French "don't go there, you'll die" nonsense being spouted in this thread reminds me of that bit in the Truman Show where he's in the travel agents trying to book a flight to Fiji. Large pictures of planes being struck by lightning on the walls etc. What amazes me is the unbelievably distorted sense of self importance these people have, demonstrated by the fact they actually believe that French people give a sh*t about whether somebody is American or not.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2003, 01:49 AM

Go anywhere but to France.

nbnz
Senior User
Mar 13, 2003, 01:53 AM

I've been to Paris 4 times and an insanely jealous, France is an awesome country (despite the multitude of anti-French posts in this and other threads). Being a Kiwi I should be anti-French, seeing as they bombed the Rainbow Warrior and beat us in the 1999 Rugby World Cup Semi Finals

If you're there for a little while I'd definately recommend a weekend trip to Reims (about 1 1/2 hours by train). It's where all the champagne is made and the tours of the caves are great, and you get a tasting afterwards.

And a day trip to Versailles.

Have a great trip....

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2003, 02:05 AM

Places to see...wow, there are a lot...

Obviously you'll tool around the Fifth (which contains the Latin Quarter): I like the Pantheon, and the Biblioteque Ste Genevieve across the street is cool if you can duck your head in. Around this area you can see remants of one of the old walls that used to fortify Paris. But perhaps most amazing is the Roman-era ruins called Arenes du Lutece (Lutece being the Roman name for Paris): it's quite startling to come upon a small amplitheater surrounding by the backs of nineteenth-century apartment blocks.

Further west is the Luxumbourg Gardens: beautiful.

Another cool area to walk around in, and now very hip, is the Marais and the Ile St Louis (where you'll find the ice cream). In the Marais there's the Picasso museum, the museum of the history of Paris, and the not-to-be-missed Place des Vogses, which oozes serenity. Further east is the Bastille...but there's nothing there. Further upriver is the quite impressive, to my mind, new national library of France: four mini-skyscrapers on an enormous plinth which a forested courtyard in the middle.

There are two metro lines which travel for part of their route above ground, on another line of old fortifications for Paris -- I think line 6. Anyway, they go from Etoile to Nation, and to my mind are well worth the trip to just see out.

The right bank is less interesting on the whole to me, but still areas north and northwest of Les Halles (an abomination on the order of Madison Square Garden's destruction of Penn Station here in NYC) contain interesting little shopping streets midblock called "Passages." These are often beautiful cuts and mildly maze-like.

More good stuff: the cemetary of Pere Lachaise. You won't have any trouble finding Jim Morrison's grave. The cemetary is beautiful and poignant. The area of Montmartre is worth a visit but is heavily touristy: look, but don't touch or eat. The view from in front of the church is well worth the climb.

Etoile (the Arc de Triumph) is overrated, and the district of the Champs Elysee (the Eighth) is all about car dealerships now; it's glory has faded.

Oh, and do a boat trip...it's fun. If they go far enough you can see a little model of Statue of Liberty on a bridge between the Seventh and the Sixteenth.

Have fun and soak it in. Paris is a great town.

GRAFF
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2003, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by sworthy:
Spring break is now upon me, and I'm going to go visit my girlfriend in Paris (she's studying abroad this semester). Anyone been there before? I know the major things to do, but I was wondering if anyone had any hidden gems.

I visited France back in 1990 and liked it so much that I moved here! If it is going to be your first time here, don't be afraid or embarrassed to see all the major monuments before looking for the "hidden gems". You will get a much better idea of the city when you have completed the tourist checklist: Tour Eiffel, Arc de triomphe, Montmartre, etc.

The weather is starting to get nice, and springtime really is magical here. Try to stay out of the Metro as much as possible. You can see much more if you walk, bus or rent a bike. The RATP (the transport service) has stands near the major monuments where you can do this.

As for any anti-American issues, well, it is a non-issue. There is none of the country bashing that you find in the States, although they did cover the recent story about "Freedom Fries" and whatever you are calling French toast these days. The French find this rather funny as "French fries" are Belgian and French toast doesn't exist here. But there is no animosity about it. It gives American an image of being very self-righteous, however.

Have a great time in Paris. Walk slowly and enjoy the atmosphere, and be very nice to your girlfriend. Cruising chicks is an art form here. You will feel like an amateur.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2003, 03:05 AM

1. Ignore the dumbasses who say "Don't go to Paris."

2. The Picasso museum was my favorite part of my trip to Paris last summer. It arranges his work in chronological order, with descriptions (in French and English) of what the painter was going through in his life at the time. It really helps you understand Picasso's work much better if you aren't as familiar with it (like me). Definitely worth seeing.

3. As much as everyone hates the Montparnasse Tower, the view from on top is really good. The view also has the Eiffel Tower in it, since you're not standing on it.

There's lots more, but those were a few things I enjoyed that haven't been mentioned yet in this thread. Well, except for #1 that is.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

simonjames
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2003, 03:08 AM

Another suggestion is that if you have a regular film camera take a couple of roles of black and white film with you - Paris looks great when photographed in b&w.
this sig intentionally left blank

nickdman
Banned
Mar 13, 2003, 03:17 AM

Be sure to tell the French that they are now The Freedom, their food is Freedom Food, they live in Freedom, and they speak Freedom. Ohh, and they REAK of Freedom

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2003, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
1. Ignore the dumbasses who say "Don't go to Paris."

2. The Picasso museum was my favorite part of my trip to Paris last summer. It arranges his work in chronological order, with descriptions (in French and English) of what the painter was going through in his life at the time. It really helps you understand Picasso's work much better if you aren't as familiar with it (like me). Definitely worth seeing.

1: Ditto.

2: The Picasso museum is wonderful. Last time I was there a couple of art students had opened an "alternative picasso museum" in a squatted house opposite. They basically took the piss something rotten, mimicking Picasso's style with objects found in skips. It was very well done and quite hilarious. Sadly I don't think they're there any more.

3: What GRAFF said. Treat her nicely. Or somebody else will

khufuu
Mar 13, 2003, 05:11 AM

For me it was following in order:

1. Sainte-Chapelle has the most beautifull stained glass I have ever seen. It's practically right next door to the Conciergerie on Ile de la Cite. I considered this to be the high-light of my trip.

2. Musee Carnavalet in the Marais section of the city (Arr. 3 and 4) This is also a must see.

3. Musee d'Orsay along the Quai Voltaire on the left bank. This is also a must see.

4. Pompidou Centre if you like modern art. You can inter-change this with Carnavalet if you like the modern stuff better.

Also, don't be afraid of the sub-way. It's the best way to get around so make the most of it. Other than that, just walk everywhere else. There are gems everywhere you go. There are great little shops in the Marais along Rue du Temple.

khufuu
Mar 13, 2003, 05:28 AM

I just reviewed more of the posts about Saddam and the anit-French sentiment.

Once you've been to France, you'll begin to understand the French position in regards to the invasion of Iraq.

Liberte, egalite, et fraternite. (Freedom, equality, and brotherhood)

The French, I'm sure, don't want weapons of mass destruction in the hands of unpredictable leaders but to the French, the US is tromping on Iraq's freedom and they revere this above almost everything else.

The US would like to remove Saddam from power. The French also see this as a strike against freedom because Saddam is the chosen leader of the people.

But you know what, none of this will affect your trip to France. Just go and enjoy one of the most wonderful cities in the world and forget about this stuff for a while.....

fat mac moron
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2003, 05:53 AM

Originally posted by khufuu:
The French also see this as a strike against freedom because Saddam is the chosen leader of the people.
Who ran against him in the last election? And no, I'm not trying to make a joke.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2003, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by khufuu:
The French also see this as a strike against freedom because Saddam is the chosen leader of the people.

That's simply not true. The French are very much aware that SH is a dictator and would like to see him gone as much as the next person. The majority just think that war should be used as a last resort.

There are business interest that Franch commerce has in Iraq but that doesn't blind the people and the media of an entire nation.

spoonchris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2003, 07:12 AM

A lot of thing to do in Paris(i live here)
Museum :

-Retrospective Magritte at the Jeu de paume Museum
-Beaubourg (contemporean art)
-Palais de tokyo (Contemporean art)
-Galeries de l'evolution at Jardin des plantes
-Orsay musem (if u like the impressionism)
-Le louvre

The best place to have a drink, and to have a look at the Trendy place in paris is the 11th --- Rue oberkampf, Bastille etc... A lot of cafe/concert / shops etc.

A great ballad too, is the Canal st martin, with liitlles shops and cafes along the canal...

Don't miss the Marais too, and a ballad at night at Montmarte.

And for the Antiamerican etc Pro war-anti war things, don't get biased by the info you have in your country these days. French are OPEN Minded people, and don't confuse politics and people... Some Americans should do the same sometimes...

Have a good trip.

And if you read a bit of french here is a great link for originals shops/restaurant and such in paris, because as a big touristic city, Paris, have a lot of bad restaurant/shops for the lost toursit... so beware with the "Tourist Menu " and such...

Good adresses

sworthy  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2003, 07:32 AM

thanks for the help... more than I could have hoped for. I'm off to the airport now, so adios for 11 days!

-sworthy

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2003, 07:41 AM

Originally posted by Timo:
Cafe Bricolage (no, I did not make that name up) will give you a good retro laugh: it's in the basement of La Sammaratine (a middling department store, right bank, a cot� La Seine, not so far from Hotel de Ville), go through the hardware section and have a coffee there, then go up to the top of La Sammaratine and check out the view towards the Pantheon.

A good bakery is just north of St Eustache which is on the northern edge of Les Halles on a pedestrian street. Go up rue Montorgeuil (towards Montmarte) and "Poke your nose into Stohrer at number 51, a pastry shop founded in 1730, claiming to be the oldest in Paris. The gorgeous ceiling and walls flow with garlands of flowers and cavorting women, decorated by the painter Paul Baudry in 1864."

Best croissant I ever did have.
Few corrections here.

Caf� Bricolage (meaning Caf� DIY) is in the basement of BHV not Samaritaine. BHV is opposite the Hotel de Ville. Cute caf�, but there are far better caf�s in Paris and I'm not sure you want to go to a Department Store! Why not head up to Montmartre and go to the Deux Moulins which featured in Am�lie, or head off to Maxims near the Tuileries.

The panorama on top of Samaritaine now costs (dammit), but it is a cool view!! Also a cool view from the Sacre Couer.

By way of restaurants, there is a cool little place on the Ile St Louis called Relais de L'Ile which has jazz music and a Menu (3 course meal) for under $20. It's small, but Christophe (the owner) is very friendly, the music is good and the food isn't bad. Try to get his wife, the waitress to giggle - hysterical!!

If you're there on a Sunday, why not do the randonnee? You can hire a pair of Rollerblades and protection at Bastille (the shop near Quai de la Rapee is cheapest). You'll see thousands of rollerbladers in the street. Around 14h00, they head off under police escort through the streets of Paris. Great way to meet 5,000 people and to see Paris and you don't need to be good to keep up. Alternatively, just take the blades down to the Quai (which is closed to traffic on a Sunday) and blade along the Seine. There are also organised bike tours in English and Paris walks does great historical guided walks (the Marais one is very good).

Take boat ride on the Seine too. Go down to Pont Neuf for the best deal.

Second the Musee d'Orsay. The Louvre is a bit big but maybe do the whirlwind tour.

For something alternative, there is a tour of Les Egouts (the sewers). The French invented sewers and it's an interesting tour. Otherwise, do the catacombs.

Oh, and Shakespeare and Co. opposite Notre Dame - old American bookshop where you get free accomodation if you read a book a day!

Also, people are talking utter crap about the anti-American sentiment in Paris. Utter, utter crap. Parisians are not the friendliest bunch, but then it's a city of 6 million people all living on top of each other. They also have a very different sense of service. In a shop, make sure you say bonjour to the salesperson before they say bonjour to you, otherwise you'll be on the back foot. Don't expect great service in shops and in restaurants the idea is to take your time. They won't be looking to turn the table or get rid of you and you shouldn't be looking to get your food fast!

With the old people, try to speak a little French so they can see that you're at least trying. They don't like it when foreigners just assume that they speak English, or German or whatever, but once they realise that it'll be quicker to speak English, they usually oblige (assuming they CAN speak English). With the younger crowd, you'll find that they're eager to practice their English.

If you bump into a bunch of protesters, you'll probably find more Americans amongst them than Frenchies actually! Paris is full of American artists and playwrites and businesspeople.

There's so much to do in Paris. It is probably the most beautiful city you will ever visit and they've spent a lot of money over the past few years cleaning and restoring all of the buildings. I could write pages, but I won't. In fact, the best places you go to will be the ones you find all on your own.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2003, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by Troll:
Few corrections here.

Caf� Bricolage (meaning Caf� DIY) is in the basement of BHV not Samaritaine. BHV is opposite the Hotel de Ville. Cute caf�, but there are far better caf�s in Paris and I'm not sure you want to go to a Department Store!
My Bad, it is in BHV. As for "better" caf�s, sure, but this one touched me the right way because of all the old do-it-yourself items and its juxtaposition to ordinary tools and electrical supplies on display. Sure it's not Deux Moulins, but you'll also not have to worry about running into any other tourists at Bricolage.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Mar 13, 2003, 11:57 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jul 6, 2004 at 03:24 AM. )

putamare
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2003, 12:08 PM

Just as GWB != America, Jacques Chirac != France, and only fools confuse the issue. Indeed even his ultimate horribleness Sadam Hussein <> Iraq, and Baghdad is an amazing city with a fascinating history and culture, although I'd recommend staying away from that particular vacation spot for a while. Its a pity these a'wipes have to ruin everything for the rest of us. Travel is an enriching experience, and to deny yourself would be handing over too much power to the a'wipes.

Jim Rockford was beaten repeatedly for your entertainment.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2003, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
Guy I work with was just there. He was quite nervious about the whole thing. Turned out is was unfounded. He said he clearly felt that the French were anti-Bush, not anti-American.

He is a regular traveller and he said he had a wonderful time. France was as beautiful, friendly and inviting as it always is.

If you do find yourself in a tight spot, though, you can always fake a canadian accent.

Seriously though, my friend insisted that he felt no animosity whatsoever. Even when the topic of the current crisis came up, he says the anger was reserved for governemnt policies, not for people.
If that is the case that it was more Anti-Bush then it would is the same as it is here in the states. These protestors are not Anti-war but Anti-Bush.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Mar 13, 2003, 12:10 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jul 6, 2004 at 03:25 AM. )

Sven G
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2003, 01:32 PM

... Mon ami... voici les grandes gares parisiennes:

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2003, 01:50 PM

To quote from American Beauty: "You twisted fukk..."

PB.

Forum Links
Forum Rules