Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > It Ate My Paper!

It Ate My Paper!
Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2003, 11:17 PM

It was a really good paper too! Fortunately I had only gotten about a page of my three page paper done... but now I gota go down stairs onto my Mac and write it again and it might not be as good...

Yeah I was using our family's PC becuase I wanted to try out Open Office.org and I'm not sure who's fault it was OOo's or Windows.. but the app stopped responding so I had to ctrl alt delete it... sigh...

I now know how Ellen felt.. haha... I wanted to be able to tell the people I was writing to that I had written the paper on a PC with OOo but after one crash I think I"m gona take a less strong stance for OOo.. least on PCs... anyone had any problems with it on OS X?

beb
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2003, 11:32 PM

Use Microsoft Word v.X and hit save every once in a blue moon.

BTW: MS Word v.X beats the crap out of the XP version which I also use. How the f--k did that happen anyway?

klinux
Senior User
Mar 27, 2003, 11:39 PM

Well, I feel bad for you man but that's the downfall of using version 1/beta/rc/gold etc software - doesn't matter whether you are on PC, or Mac, or Linux. Caveat emptor.

klinux
Senior User
Mar 27, 2003, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by beb:
MS Word v.X beats the crap out of the XP version which I also use. How the f--k did that happen anyway?
Agreed. One's designed by the office team and the other by the MBU. I kind of like it that way so that MBU does not have to be bogged down by whatever legacies/rules of the Windows side. There are downsides too of course but it's worth it.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2003, 11:54 PM

hmm oh well I'm writing it in text edit now... is the OS X port any better?

Doesn't matter much I'm taking a pro OS X stance in the report anyway but... yeah... I'm having a lot of trouble writing it though becuase I do know that our school really couldn't afford to run all Macs even if PCs arn't cheapter to run they've got all kinds of old crappy Pentium ones and junk...
I dono it was either this or complain about the fact that in the Canadian education system any group with religious beliefs is given great respect aside from Christians... but if I did that my principal would probably not like it to much, and the Christian Group at the school plans like half of the events that are worth going to in the school anyway.
IE our last rock show had more attendies than the last school dance, infact we had 30 people buy in advance where as the last dance was canceled due to only 4 people buyng in advance.
We're also doing the planning for the 30 hour famine, (which with my band connections I booked 3 bands to play heh.) and we've got a big show planned in may... so yeah... the religious freedom paper I might do for my exam though

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2003, 12:08 AM

whats the first rule of worldprocessing? SAVE SAVE SAVE. Its yerown fault you lost it.

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!

sworthy
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2003, 12:11 AM

I always hear about how v.x is better than xp, but I want to know why

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2003, 12:14 AM

Maybe it's shinier? I don't know; all Open Office for me.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2003, 12:18 AM

Office v.X is acctually better... I can't say I really get why... I think it's cause the interface just looks nicer, not to mention it's got pallets similar to how Macromedia's new MX programs have. It even has it's own genie effect for it's lil inspector thing... although that's a REAL processor hog on a 333Mhz G3... but the test drive was fun.

Which reminds me I should delete it... having an M$ program on my iMac other than IE and MSN messenger is just to much...

nickdman
Banned
Mar 29, 2003, 05:02 AM

Bad excuse say your paper partially quantum tunneled through the table and got stuck half way, impossible to prove or disprove

klinux
Senior User
Mar 30, 2003, 02:25 AM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
Office v.X is acctually better... I can't say I really get why...
I hope your paper about why Open source is better is better than how you've descirbed Office v.X!

Brien
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2003, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by nickdman:
Bad excuse say your paper partially quantum tunneled through the table and got stuck half way, impossible to prove or disprove
Best laugh I've had all day.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2003, 03:11 AM

Only slightly better... but i did go on for 4 and a half pages... that's gota be worth something right?

sworthy
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2003, 03:13 AM

post it... I want to read this

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2003, 03:34 AM

i'm too lazy to save. sides, i just always end up leaving word open on my comp, and i close it and it goes to sleep.

actually, its come to the point where i'm so lazy that i don't want to give my documents filenames, so i wait 10 min and forcequit word

::sigh::
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2003, 03:45 AM

I still haven't found any reasons to upgrade from version 5.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

iXavier
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2003, 04:16 AM

Originally posted by beb:
Use Microsoft Word v.X and hit save every once in a blue moon.

BTW: MS Word v.X beats the crap out of the XP version which I also use. How the f--k did that happen anyway?
Plus, Word v.X has much cooler sound effects than its PC equivilant. Bonus.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2003, 04:24 AM

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

boots
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2003, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
I still haven't found any reasons to upgrade from version 5.
word 5 was great. I worked. It was fast (for its time). It was not bloated. The functions worked as advertized.

Word 6 was a major setback. Working with graphics was nearly impossible for me.

Word 98 was a step forward form 6, but not as nice as 5. I had to write a bunch of macros for graphic insertion/scaling. Really bloated too.

Word X rocks. I love the palettes. The feel is right. It graphic come in as in-line graphics...just like in 5 with no screwing around. I'd still like them to give us back the scaling and "croping" that we had in 5, but this is getting back to the way 5 worked.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2003, 02:18 PM

I use v.X and found it similar to Office 2000. I heard that with Office XP, it wants to do everything for you like Windows XP. My computer network engineer mentor said that she tested XP and despised it because it wants to take over the computer. Thus, she uninstalled it as fast as she installed it.

v.X rocks, and I use it a lot.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2003, 02:36 PM

Microsoft wanting to take over your computer? Are you SURE about that one?

lawgeek
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2003, 04:34 PM

Office v.X sucks! I don't know how you guys use Word, but I used it last year to type up 30-50 pages of outlines for my classes. It was buggy as hell, it would randomly switch spacing, it made words underlined or bold when the option wasn't selected, it sometimes would switch to random fonts and generally was just a PITA to use.

Forum Links
Forum Rules