Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > CTO DVD/256MB/20GB Shipped!!

CTO DVD/256MB/20GB Shipped!!
geek77
May 24, 2001, 08:07 AM

Woo hoo! Ordred on the 1st, a couple minutes after the Apple Store opened. It shipped sometime in the middle of the night.

So you people who ordred CTO from the Apple store, check your status.

paterss
Forum Regular
May 24, 2001, 08:16 AM

Congratulations... I hope its as good as the 20 minutes I spent with one at a local handler.

I think someone has the job of painting the letters on the keyboards by hand here in Germany...and its taking a long time...

Stuart

------------------
Smart people learn from their own mistakes.
Very smart people learn from other peoples mistakes.
Smart people learn from their own mistakes.
Very smart people learn from other peoples mistakes.

rmcalhany
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2001, 12:16 PM

i ordered 3pm PST roughly on the first and it still hasn't shipped

arrrrgh

it should be soon though since yours shipped last night!

Robert

flydoc
May 24, 2001, 12:34 PM

Ordered my CTO DVD/256/20 on the 1st. Just got the shipment notice. Words and little smiley faces cannot express my happiness.

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2001, 01:09 PM

I have to ask - why on earth would you pay Apple for the extra RAM? Even with their 50% off deal, you are still paying $100 US for an extra 128 MB RAM chip, when you can very easily get a 256 MB RAM chip for $70-90 US, depending on where you get it. You could double the amount of extra RAM you get for less.

------------------
[Removed at the request of Apple Legal]

geek77  (op)
May 24, 2001, 01:40 PM

because a 256 MB RAm chip for $70 is a piece of **** . Sure $100 is steep for 128, but I know it will be good. I've had cheap RAM fail before, it's not fun.

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2001, 02:03 PM

It will come with a lifetime warranty though, so if you did get bad RAM, easy enough to replace it. Apple's RAM is also 3-2-2 speed rated, you'll get 2-2-2 from most other places.

Just wondering - the RAM that is soldered into the new iBooks - anyone check the speed of it?

------------------
[Removed at the request of Apple Legal]

rmcalhany
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2001, 02:38 PM

hmmmm...ok that's 2 guys here that ordered what i did on the first who have either shipped or received notice that it's going to ship....

for me: still being assembled.

this is killing me...i requested fedex and wonder if it ships by tomorrow if fedex will deliver on saturday or monday (holiday) probably not which means i won't get it til tuesday at the earliest (but still before when i needed it on the 31st (crossing my fingers!)

Robert

WinsOBoogi
Senior User
May 24, 2001, 03:15 PM

::cries like a baby:: I wan't my 'book. God willing, it'll ship tomorrow. Ordered the same date..May 1st. I can't wait much longer. I want that precious laptop in my hands..

------------------
"I want my 'book!"

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2001, 04:00 PM

Apple's RAM speed is 2-2-2(Soldered on the mobo) This is what the Apple System Profiler IS telling me... So is my extra 256MB Chip that I gto from y old iBook SE.

------------------
Be happy Be Cool Be Different, but be yourself...
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

tc2riggs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2001, 07:47 PM

Same configuration plus airport card. Ordered on the 10th. I hope mine isn't ten whole days behind you. aaarrrgggghhhhh!

Jug-dish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2001, 10:16 PM

I ordered an iBook DVD/128/20GB about two hours after they went on sale May 1. The order is still listed as partially shipped (ordered Office 2001 at the same time). Congrats to you guys who got yours shipped! Looks like I'll be hitting the refresh button on my order status page all night. I'll be sure to report when mine ships.

geek77  (op)
May 24, 2001, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by Jug-dish:
I ordered an iBook DVD/128/20GB about two hours after they went on sale May 1. The order is still listed as partially shipped (ordered Office 2001 at the same time). Congrats to you guys who got yours shipped! Looks like I'll be hitting the refresh button on my order status page all night. I'll be sure to report when mine ships.
Check it tomorrow when you wake up, I bet it'll ship soon. I checked this morning just for the hell of it and it had shipped. Don't forget, once it ships, you get to hit the refresh button on the FedEx tracking page! (does the fun ever stop?)

------------------

pxm25
May 24, 2001, 10:39 PM

Ordered a my ibook DVD 128 20 gig on 1 May about 1 hour after the announcement. Got the shipping notice this morming...yea! Finally! Hope all of you get yours soon!

bikinijack
May 24, 2001, 10:58 PM

I ordered my CDRW on May 2. If they don't ship within the 5 weeks that the Apple Store promised, i'm going over to the darkside, maybe a Compaq or an HP sub note. Grrrrrrr.

[This message has been edited by bikinijack (edited 05-24-2001).]

Jug-dish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2001, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by bikinijack:
I ordered my CDRW on May 2. If they don't ship within the 5 weeks that the Apple Store promised, i'm going over to the darkside, maybe a Compaq or an HP sub note. Grrrrrrr.

[This message has been edited by bikinijack (edited 05-24-2001).]
Dude, don't do it! Compaq and HP will &%$# you without even giving you the courtesy of a reach-around.

rmcalhany
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2001, 09:12 AM

still not shipping this morning!!!! cant wait to see if jug-dish's shipped!

robert

Jug-dish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2001, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by rmcalhany:
still not shipping this morning!!!! cant wait to see if jug-dish's shipped!

robert
It didn't ship yesterday morning, and it didn't ship this morning! Uggghhh!!! I was really hoping to get it prior to Memorial Day, but I guess that isn't happening. I'm approaching week number four of waiting. On the upside, I guess it can't be much longer (knock on wood).

WinsOBoogi
Senior User
May 26, 2001, 12:09 PM

My iBook has shipped! dvd/20/192! I went ot the APple site, and saw that my iBook "was shipped on June 7th." Found that interesting, so I called Apple this morning...the rep. said that was strange, but my iBook WAS shipped last night and will be here on Tuesday, since Monday is Memorial Day.

-Brad

Jug-dish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2001, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by WinsOBoogi:
My iBook has shipped! dvd/20/192! I went ot the APple site, and saw that my iBook "was shipped on June 7th." Found that interesting, so I called Apple this morning...the rep. said that was strange, but my iBook WAS shipped last night and will be here on Tuesday, since Monday is Memorial Day.

-Brad
WinsOBoogi,
If you don't mind me asking, when did you order yours?

Jug-dish

WinsOBoogi
Senior User
May 26, 2001, 04:29 PM

Ordered my iBook on May 1st, several hours after it was introduced.

------------------
"I want my 'book!"

prodigy1387
May 26, 2001, 06:02 PM

My ibook shipped on May 25th from J&R computer world (ordered May 24th after I checked the web site and they were listed as "in stock.") I have it and am typing this on it now. What a wonderful machine. All of you who are expecting your iBooks soon, you'll love it. It works like a charm, its so fast and i have not even installed the extra 128 MB of ram yet! (Still waiting to get the correct screw driver).

I plan on getting an airport card, extra battery (just in case), and external cd burner. Then my ibook will be complete. The design is breath taking, looks like $1,000,000 just sitting in my house! You'll love, best apple laptop for consumers in my opinion. no problems either - speakers work great and DVD plays awesome, no hiccups.

MUGlover
May 26, 2001, 10:33 PM

The Apple Store for Education sent me an E-mail on May 26 at Noon. I ordered an iBook with 256 MB of RAM and 20 GB hard drive and the Combo DVD/CD-RW drive, and an AirPort card, on May 2.

Apple's E-mail states it "was shipped on May 28th." I can understand the unusual wording as the holiday is affecting some shipments.

Though I had requested UPS shipping, Apple upgraded it to FedEx and it should be delivered to my wife's school on Tuesday, or at least I can track it by then. Apple told me earlier that OS X will be on this machine also. Satisfaction!

Hope this helps all who are still waiting. -Jim

Jug-dish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2001, 11:22 AM

Yes! I got an email at 07:59 this morning (5/28/01). My iBook DVD/128/20GB was FedEx'ed from Taiwan at 20:16, 5/28 (thank you, Apple, for upgrading my shipping for free). I wonder what that time translates to in CST? I think there was a thread about that a while back. I guess I should have payed more attention to it. Anyway, my iBook is now in Anchorage, AK. I guess it will be here tomorrow.

chub
May 28, 2001, 11:28 AM

Jug-dish, a small tear just hit my pro keyboard...why lord, do I feel this way?

Finally, some 20 gigs showing up

droob
May 28, 2001, 11:34 AM

My DVD/128/20 is also on its way to AK after being picked up this morning. I ordered through the Apple Store for Education on May 3.
{sigh of relief}

geek77  (op)
May 28, 2001, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by Jug-dish:
I wonder what that time translates to in CST?
They are 13 hours ahead of us. 8:00 AM CST = 9:00 PM in Taipei (Northeast Taiwan).

------------------

rmcalhany
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2001, 10:18 PM

mine too!!! seems like apple sent a whole bunch of may 1st orders out today from taiwan.

my guess is we'll all get them wednesday. They should show up today (monday) in AK, but since it's a holiday (and they'll arrive about 6pm give or take) they won't be checked in and shipped back out til tuesday. Then should be at our doors by wed.

MY QUESTION FOR EVERYONE:

who didn't select the expedited shipping offer???? i heard that those of you got a free upgrade to expedited shipping....can anyone confirm this?

thx

Robert

Duo
Forum Regular
May 28, 2001, 11:12 PM

Phew this is making me feel better. I ordered on May 25 and I thought it would take months to get it. But after seeing that Apple has begun to ship in larger quantities I may actually get in by min-June. BTW it was the DVD with 128ram and a 20gig hd.

Duo

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2001, 01:10 AM

Ordered mine on May 3rd and it's still partially shipped. My battery arrived to me about a week ago, and my AV Cable was shipped last week as well. My iBook 500/DVD/128MB/10MB/AirPort Card is still waiting to be shipped.
*waits*

DDJ

MUGlover
May 29, 2001, 12:04 PM

To answer a shipping question, I did order on May 2nd by UPS Ground. Several items were included, four overall. When the first two shipped they were by UPS Ground (and the Order Status page became "Partially Shipped" as in "everything but the iBook"). A third item shipped on May 4th by FedEx. No action on my part, presumably Apple's.

The iBook arrived in Anchorage very late on May 27th. It is going by FedEx, again apparently an Apple upgrade, much appreciated. FedEx told me Anchorage is a US Customs point of entry and it should leave there some time on May 29th. Combo ETA May 30. Good luck to all! -Jim

Forum Links
Forum Rules