Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ibook and DIVX

Ibook and DIVX
miles.vde
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2001, 08:53 AM

Anyone has Experience playing DIVX movies with the new Ibook ?

Thanks

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2001, 09:26 AM

Unlikely as DIVX requires a special proprietary player. But I'm not sure. Also, DIVX has been discontinued in the States, so the urgency to provide compatibility for the format may not be there for a US company. To my knowledge, no computer DVD was ever hardware compatible with DIVX, although someone may have written software to emulate a DIVX player.

motorhead99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2001, 09:41 AM

No, he's not talking about the now dead Circuit City's DIVX format, where you have to pay every time you want to see a movie, he's talking about DivX, the new 'microsoft' format, based on MPEG4 and which provides near DVD quality at very low bit rates. I have a whole 120 min movie on a CD-R and it plays great on a 400 MHz celeron or a 733 MHz P3 but it is _JUNK_ on my Mac (Blue G3 350 MHz). I think it's the lack of good software, not lack of processing power.

Oh yeah, and playing the movie on PC is straightforward (once you installed the plugin into media Player) but on the Mac side, you have to "doctor" the track first, very very cumbersome, it-s supposed to be easier on a mac, not more difficult! Are you guys listening?

see this:
http://mac.divx.st/

enjoy (well, sort of)

GroovyPatateFrite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2001, 09:50 AM

Yeah, forget about DivX on Mac, it's way too unpractical and slow, unfortunately.

miles.vde  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2001, 09:59 AM

I agree it's a software problem ... today I use the latest (beta10) player on my G4/350 and it is not really that !

But I was wondering if I could expect a similar speed with the G3/500 ?

Thanks Anyway for your time & comment !

GroovyPatateFrite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2001, 10:31 AM

Yeah. I've seen Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon on a friend's Tibook 400, and the (lack of) performance is similar to that of my SE 466 iBook. The new iBook won't do any better, for sure.

divx4all
May 30, 2001, 08:37 AM

the divx problem on the mac is not software based ... in fact mac.divx.st has done some really great work on its divx player... the problem is that the divx codec was specially build for pc processors using a lot of hardware based optimization... so even on the newest mac watching dvd is like emulating a pc processor to decode data... and the divx repair is needed to do some of that decoding work before watching the movie...
lets hope poeple will use 3ivx to encode stuff ... cause 3ivx works great on mac too!

elviseleven
May 31, 2001, 01:23 PM

havent tried it...

nor have I tried to insert an 8 track tape or Betamax cassette.

geek77
May 31, 2001, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by elviseleven:
havent tried it...

nor have I tried to insert an 8 track tape or Betamax cassette.
They're talking about DivX, not DIVX

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules