Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Cannot get past login screen.

Cannot get past login screen.
schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2008, 03:22 PM

Bah! It's not been a good day today

I can't seem to get past the logic screen. I'm running 10..5.2 and it's a MBP. Once I enter my password the login screen disappears but then nothing at all happens, just the background remains.

I've started up from the Leopard disk and run repair, this found some issues which it apparently fixed and I repaired and tried again but I still can't get past that darned screen

I've put the MBP into target mode and I can access the disk through firewire (although for some reason it's not letting my copy anything from the drive) so the information is still there.

I'm not sure what to do next really. Most of my info is backed up but there's at least two weeks worth that isn't so I'd rather not lose it by doing a clean instal.

I don't haver disk warrior anymore but do have Cocktail. I tried running it but I don't think it will let me work on anything than the original drive which is a shame. Any ideas or advice much appreciated!

Any ideas as to what I can try next?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2008, 03:38 PM

This is supposedly a solution to an iMac only bug, but perhaps you've been bitten by it on your MBP:

Mac OS X 10.5, iMac (Mid 2007): Stuck in a "loop" at the login window after upgrading to Leopard

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

schuey100  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2008, 03:42 PM

Thanks. I don't get caught in a loop, it just doesn't let me go any further. But perhaps I should try an archive and install anyway.

I've done everything else I can think of, just reset PRAM and nothing has helped.

schuey100  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2008, 03:49 PM

I'm also getting more errors on the repair disk from disk utility details:

Invalid volume free block count
Bitmap error
invalid directory item count

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2008, 04:03 PM

Disk Warrior would help at this point.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

schuey100  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Disk Warrior would help at this point.
Yes, I think I'll pop out and buy it tomorrow. In the meantime I'm doing an archive and instal to see if that works. Fingers crossed

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2008, 04:40 PM

Sounds good. Hope you're back up and running soon.

schuey100  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2008, 05:05 PM

Archive and install has just failed (error message saying it cannot complete due to damaged disk) so I've purchased the Disk Warrior download version and am currently giving that a go. I'm not too hopeful at this stage!

schuey100  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2008, 05:34 PM

Darn...Disk Warrior tells me:

DiskWarrior has successfully built a new directory for the disk named "HD." The new directory cannot replace the
original directory because of a disk malfunction.

A disk malfunction is a failure of or damage to any mechanical component of the disk device, or any component
connected to it. The malfunction will likely worsen. Therefore, recovering your files from the DiskWarrior Preview as quickly as possible is essential.

It is highly recommended that you backup all of your data from the preview disk.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2008, 05:49 PM

Sounds like you need to make a trip to the Apple Store and get the HDD replaced.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules