Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 10.3 to significantly improves G5 performance

10.3 to significantly improves G5 performance
jclarkv
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2003, 05:41 AM

MacBidoouille has posted (http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools) a performance comparison of 10.2.7 vs 10.3 on a G5/1.8 with XBench 1.1.1.

A total score of 139 under 10.2.7 becomes 174 under 10.3. Wow.

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2003, 06:58 AM

interesting,

Check the floating point test woaah

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 5, 2003, 08:08 AM

That's a 35 point boost by simply upgrading to 10.3. It's too bad the G5s didn't originally ship with 10.3.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2003, 08:42 AM

10.3 will make your older hardware faster too. I use it on my 400 G3 pismo PB with 192mb RAM as a low-end test setup for application testing. It makes the pismo feel like a lot faster.

simifilm
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2003, 08:43 AM

I don't want to spoil the fun, but be careful with XBench results, they're not very reliable. XBench is known for delivering greatly varying benchmarks on identical configurations. Even on the same machine you can get quite different results just by running it several times.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2003, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by simifilm:
I don't want to spoil the fun, but be careful with XBench results, they're not very reliable. XBench is known for delivering greatly varying benchmarks on identical configurations. Even on the same machine you can get quite different results just by running it several times.
Xbench isn't a great test no, but usually the fluctuations are in individual tests, not across the board. In this case, most of the important tests are improved, not just one here or there.

Furthermore, usually the overall score is nearly identical. For instance, on my TiBook, the fluctuation in the score is no more than a couple of points.

Also, the test result would agree with the general impression of X.3.

It looks like Panther is going to be a huge upgrade.

devmage
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2003, 09:57 AM

I happen to know a developer who recently got his Dual G5, and have run both 10.2.7 and 10.3 on it. He tells me in real world practical use of the system 10.3 is noticably faster than 10.2.7. I asked him as soon as I saw those benchmarks because I never put much stake in them.

Devmage

KidRed
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2003, 01:41 PM

It's as I've been saying on a few mac boards, people shouldn't be whining about a G5 with less then a good amount of ram running a hacked 10.2 OS. This is what I was expecting to see with Panther.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Hydra
Senior User
Sep 5, 2003, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
It's as I've been saying on a few mac boards, people shouldn't be whining about a G5 with less then a good amount of ram running a hacked 10.2 OS. This is what I was expecting to see with Panther.
I totally agree. The flip side is that I hope Apple can find it in it's little heart to give us G5 early adopters a free copy of 10.3 to really make our new boxes shine. I'm not complaining, I'm a dual G5 waiter and I'll be buying Panther ASAP if I have to and I buy my G5 full well knowing that I may have to pay for Panther. Ah, the price of being on the bleeding edge...or is is the price of stupidity I can't tell the difference sometimes.

-Jerry C.

alligator
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2003, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by Hydra:
I totally agree. The flip side is that I hope Apple can find it in it's little heart to give us G5 early adopters a free copy of 10.3 to really make our new boxes shine. I'm not complaining, I'm a dual G5 waiter and I'll be buying Panther ASAP if I have to and I buy my G5 full well knowing that I may have to pay for Panther. Ah, the price of being on the bleeding edge...or is is the price of stupidity I can't tell the difference sometimes.

-Jerry C.
I got some "coupons" in my G5 box, what are they for? Hopefully for a free upgrade to 10.3????

scottiB
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2003, 02:58 PM

The coupons are for upgrading the OS if you've purchased the Mac after the OS is shipping, yet your system doesn't have it installed--because it was sitting in a warehouse or stockroom or FedEx truck or something.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

skyman
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2003, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by jclarkv:
MacBidoouille has posted (http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools) a performance comparison of 10.2.7 vs 10.3 on a G5/1.8 with XBench 1.1.1.

A total score of 139 under 10.2.7 becomes 174 under 10.3. Wow.

Xbench sucks... Give us REAL world performance stats.

Forum Links
Forum Rules