Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > mlMac (simple eDonkey + Kazaa client)

mlMac (simple eDonkey + Kazaa client) (Page 5)
VEGAN
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 05:26 AM

After the upgrade, it appears, the interface of mlMac "changed"

The oval "fields" in the bottom right and bottom left [the up and down load speeds, and networks] have a dark square around them

Is it me only?

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 05:57 AM

I get that in Jaguar, but in Panther everything looks fine. The new interface is a good improvement, but there are a few quirks when using it with Jag, but it seems to work fine. Still the best P2P client out there.

dmcnickle
Senior User
Sep 25, 2003, 03:49 PM

I was almost at the end of DL a 49MB file and it stalled.
That was yesterday.

Now, nothing will download. No matter what I try, it is stuck on "waiting to start"

I did a "find" and deleted everything connected with mlMac and reinstalled.
I also restarted my Mac.
Still no downloads.

Any ideas?

JellyBeen
Senior User
Sep 25, 2003, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by dmcnickle:
That was yesterday.

Now, nothing will download. No matter what I try, it is stuck on "waiting to start"

I also restarted my Mac.
Still no downloads.

Any ideas?
Maybe its just as simple as you no longer have any sources for the file in question. Remember, if nobody seeds the file you're on standby.
It happens to me often. I just wait and eventually downloads start again.
( Last edited by JellyBeen; Sep 25, 2003 at 06:44 PM. )
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2003, 06:41 PM

0.7 is nice, but very glitchy (especially the interface). Often after resizing, the toolbar is too small for the window. Sometimes the "connection" sheet never disappears, even though I can see the downloads working. It also crashes, a lot. But I still get better d/ls than with Poisoned.

JellyBeen
Senior User
Sep 26, 2003, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
0.7 is nice, but very glitchy (especially the interface). Often after resizing, the toolbar is too small for the window. Sometimes the "connection" sheet never disappears, even though I can see the downloads working. It also crashes, a lot. But I still get better d/ls than with Poisoned.
jul did say that he had coded 0.7 in Panther. Thats the reason your getting UI artifacts.
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

Spliff
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2003, 03:09 AM

WTF is wrong with the mldonkey network? For a month now, I can only get the mlnet binary to run for maybe ten minutes before it becomes unresponsive. I can't kill it from mlMac or from the web interface. I have to kill it via the terminal.

Are there problems with the mldonkey network or is something on my system screwing up the binary?

TC
Senior User
Oct 30, 2003, 02:08 PM

Just a heads up for people using mlmac to not make the same mistake as I did.

I don't want it to place the temp folder on the disk my user folder is on, which it does by default, so in the settings I moved it to another disk.

Everything was fine until today when it told me there was a new version of mlnet available and asked if I wanted to download it. I told it to go ahead and somehow it managed to wipe out my whole mlent set up. All of the files in my incoming folder where deleted. Somehow my temp reappeared after restarting (it might have been there before but I missed it because of the rage).

Anyways just be careful with letting it update automatically. If you have anything important in the MLDonkey folder move it somewhere else until it has finished the update.

I think I will try moving my temp folder by using shortcuts/unix links next time. Unfortunately this seems to have hosed my whole mlmac/mldonkey set up and now nothing works.
Nothing to see, move along.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 09:46 PM

just a note for those like me who cant use mlmac anymore as mlnet does not play well with routers, just trying out eetee, seems to be fine with the router, and is very fast and has good results, shareware though, and not tested it out much yet.

http://www.eetee.com/

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 10:02 PM

ok, im liking this program (eetee), if mlmac kills your router, try this out. gives great (fast!) results, and good downloads.
you have to wait a while for edonkey downloads, be patient

revs

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2003, 07:25 AM

mlmac doesnt do anything here in panther; I double click the app and nothing happens... I did a clean install of Panther.

Axel
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2003, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by RevEvs:
ok, im liking this program (eetee), if mlmac kills your router, try this out. gives great (fast!) results, and good downloads.
you have to wait a while for edonkey downloads, be patient

revs
Does that mean mlnet is the only one responsible for killing my Airport connection ?
I just want to know if I should wait for an Airport upgrade, or an mlnet one...

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Axel:
Does that mean mlnet is the only one responsible for killing my Airport connection ?
I just want to know if I should wait for an Airport upgrade, or an mlnet one...
I think ive read that it kills airport connections too. Its just the way mlnet works.

revs

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2003, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by dmcnickle:
That was yesterday.

I also restarted my Mac.
Still no downloads.

Any ideas?
Some of my downloads have taken weeks, with nothing happening for days on end.

Just wait a while. If you grow impatient and have the space, keep the old download in your list, do a new search, and just download a different version of the file in addition to the other one.

There's always a chance that one may finish sooner.

-s*

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 11:52 AM

personally, i think everybody's had airport problems, and i'm not referring to mlmac..
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

jul
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2003, 08:18 PM

AirPort problems are caused by mlnet: it makes to many connections, or too fast, or whatever the base station can't support and then crash.
Please report this problem (well, I think it's a known problem) to the mlnet's website at mldonkey.net.

Btw, mlMac 0.7.1 has been released.

tritonus
Senior User
Nov 9, 2003, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by daydreamer:
mlmac doesnt do anything here in panther; I double click the app and nothing happens... I did a clean install of Panther.
MLdonkey runs nicely on my Panther. I'm staying with MLdonkey
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

memento
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2003, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by jul:
AirPort problems are caused by mlnet: it makes to many connections, or too fast, or whatever the base station can't support and then crash.
Please report this problem (well, I think it's a known problem) to the mlnet's website at mldonkey.net.

Btw, mlMac 0.7.1 has been released.
I agree with blackbird - have had some airport problems. I think they're fixed, but it's definitely not caused by mlmac (in my case at least)
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2003, 01:16 AM

for more airport "adventures" feel free to stop by the Networking Forum or the Airport Apple Support Page
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Hornet
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2003, 09:46 AM

*bump*

Like... updated and stuff....

Whats the consensus on Poisoned vs mlmac?

Newest versions of each i guess...

memento
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 11:14 AM

poisoned is fasttrack only - mlmac is FT, edonkey and eventually more (soleseek, etc). I just use mlmac.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by memento:
poisoned is fasttrack only - mlmac is FT, edonkey and eventually more (soleseek, etc). I just use mlmac.
Wrong... Please research at least a little.
Poisoned - FastTrack, Gnutella, OpenFT all fully supported
mldonkey - Edonkey fully supported
FastTrack (soon to be locked out of the network unless they update their code), Gnutella, Soulseek, bittorrent, direct connect all partially supported (no swarming downloads at all, no uploading, not good network citizens, unlikely to download)

JB72  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2003, 09:20 PM

I just wanted to post again to say thanks to Jul. I've had the privilege to IM with him on and off over the last few months, and he has a sincere desire to make mlMac as good as it can be. He's a real asset to the Mac community.

Cheers.

kupan787
Senior User
Dec 6, 2003, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by Hornet:
*bump*

Like... updated and stuff....

Whats the consensus on Poisoned vs mlmac?

Newest versions of each i guess...
I use Poisoned for my kazza stuff. I use mlMac for my mldonkey/overnet needs. I really prefer the mldonkey/overnet network, and sites such as sharereactor.com, vcdquality.com, and ****theinter.net really help out a lot weeding out the garbage people "host".

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2003, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by kupan787:
I use Poisoned for my kazza stuff. I use mlMac for my mldonkey/overnet needs. I really prefer the mldonkey/overnet network, and sites such as sharereactor.com, vcdquality.com, and ****theinter.net really help out a lot weeding out the garbage people "host".
Probably a dumb question, but from your suggestion I checked out the sites you mention and although ****theinter.net has a huge list of good files, I couldn't see a single ed2k link on the site. I'm new to this, would you care to explain how it works.

Cheers,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Ilja
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2003, 06:58 PM

It had been running fine for a while for me, however since a couple of days all my files are stalled constantly. Even files who are 80% through

I'm Appleless and unhappy: tiBook is dead and iPod stolen

Forum Links
Forum Rules