Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Nano (RED) earphone problems

iPod Nano (RED) earphone problems
daneel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2007, 11:21 PM

I've just got a new iMac and got product (red) nano with it (the mail in rebate).

the earphones at first i thought are really cofmfotable and then i realized that they just cannt handle the amount of sound the ipod genertates. at high volumes they just get borked. of course, i do have spares lying around the hose but none as comofortable as these. and i cant take it back to the store bcoz i finally graduated so i've moved back to india.

so could anyone tell me the support options available in india ? or any DIY fix ?

theyoda3
Sep 2, 2007, 12:05 AM

Turn down the volume.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2007, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by theyoda3 View Post
Turn down the volume.
Seconded. If you want to be deaf when you're 30, keep on blasting your eardrums out.
Signature depreciated.

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2007, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by daneel View Post
I've just got a new iMac and got product (red) nano with it (the mail in rebate).

the earphones at first i thought are really cofmfotable and then i realized that they just cannt handle the amount of sound the ipod genertates. at high volumes they just get borked. of course, i do have spares lying around the hose but none as comofortable as these. and i cant take it back to the store bcoz i finally graduated so i've moved back to india.

so could anyone tell me the support options available in india ? or any DIY fix ?
Where in India are you? There are a couple of Apple Authorized Resellers in many cities there...

daneel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2007, 05:53 AM

@pheonixash - i live in chennai, TN (southeastern coast)

@theyoda3 & CATS CEO - i'm not the kind to have loud hip hop blaring out of my iPod all day. but when im at the treadmill (for 30 min) or in the bus/train home (another 30 min) i would like to be able to listen to my ipod. and regarding turning the volume down, the earphones only work normally if i turn the volume below halfway (again, im not listening to metallica's greatest hits. its just an average audio book)

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Sep 3, 2007, 06:47 AM

What's the issue with buying a different set of headphones? There are many, many better quality and even more comfortable phones out there.

Failing that, turn the music down as others have posted above, your ears will re-adjust over time so that the perceived level of sound (at half volume or less) is the same as your current level of sound (at full volume).*

*Note. Your ears will not re-adjust if they are full of wax, if you regularly go clubbing (or similar), or if you live in an incredibly noisy environment!

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 3, 2007, 08:02 AM

I have been using JVC's HA-FX33 headphones with my Nano. These have a foam tip that you squish to insert into your outer ear, and the foam expands to both fit comfortably and block external noise. The Apple headphones, on the other hand, are built to allow outside sounds in, so you need more volume to be able to hear the music in noisy situations. The JVC headphones are VERY inexpensive, and have some surprisingly good bass response.

But I think you're running into the physical limits of the transducers in the Apple headphones, and that's not anything you can fix. Buy new, noise blocking headphones/earbuds, and you'll be both safer and happier.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

daneel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2007, 01:44 AM

@ghporter - are these headphones really popular or one of those excellent buys that no one knows of ? if its the latter i cant buy 'em. ive got no credit cards or paypal so no online shopping. and they'll only be at retail stores in india if they are VERY popular or SERIOUSLY cheap.

Forum Links
Forum Rules