Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iTablet, iPad, iNetBook, dunno but is this it?

iTablet, iPad, iNetBook, dunno but is this it?
stevesnj
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2009, 01:07 PM

Dunno if it is... you be the judge.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...blet-surfaces/
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

hayesk
Aug 15, 2009, 01:15 PM

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would want a tablet, outside of niche vertical markets.

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2009, 01:20 PM

well that was my thing too...what is this going to be for? Niche markets like healthcare and music DJ,s but putting a restrictive iPhone OS on it would be bad, Leopard would make more sense. If it has a phone ability Verizon better be the carrier cause I wont buy it if ATT is involved.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2009, 01:59 PM

I have the nagging suspicion that Apple just creates prototypes and lets stuff leak out just to have fun watching the internets go crazy.

HackManDan
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2009, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I have the nagging suspicion that Apple just creates prototypes and lets stuff leak out just to have fun watching the internets go crazy.
That could be a Dilbert strip.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All of this has happened before and all of it will happen again.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 15, 2009, 02:07 PM

Awesome comments:
ahh the typical ugly shitty apple look.
It looks like a menu at denny’s. Go sheep buy buy buy!
Easily photoshoped. Looks like a giant ipod touch which only a Mac fanboy with his iphone shoved up his asshole would buy.
All you nay-sayers will be sucking this device’s dick when it comes out. “Ooooh this device is so fast….oooh the ipad has better apps….ooh the ipad’s remote control feature rocks…oooh when I shove it in my ass it vibrates so nice” etc etc

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2009, 02:08 PM

Doubtful. Why would Apple copy the border design from the 1st gen iPod Touch? Also, why would they use a shot of the Leopard intro video found all over the 'net?

I call Photoshop.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 15, 2009, 02:16 PM

From the article:
Hit the jump for a zoomed out version of the shot and then hit the comment section to tell us how you know with absolute certainty that this image is fake because you’re a forensic scientist who specializes in Apple tablet authentication.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2009, 03:45 PM

I just want to know why everyone seems to *want* a tablet?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2009, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I just want to know why everyone seems to *want* a tablet?
Because a tablet would fill the gap between an iPhone and a notebook - the space other manufacturers have been trying to fill wt netbooks. The success of the iPhone has shown us that we do not need hardware keyboards to make a device usable - in fact it could be argued that the lack of a hardware keyboard is what made the iPhone so successful.

A tablet, with a software keyboard when needed, would be extremely useful for many. Take notes in class or a meeting, then use it as a touch based music and video editing device. An ebook reader. Check email, connect wit friends, showcase work.

If the rumors are true I'll probably be buying one.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2009, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Because a tablet would fill the gap between an iPhone and a notebook - the space other manufacturers have been trying to fill wt netbooks. The success of the iPhone has shown us that we do not need hardware keyboards to make a device usable - in fact it could be argued that the lack of a hardware keyboard is what made the iPhone so successful.

A tablet, with a software keyboard when needed, would be extremely useful for many. Take notes in class or a meeting, then use it as a touch based music and video editing device. An ebook reader. Check email, connect wit friends, showcase work.

I own a netbook (a Dell Mini 9 w/ OS X), and I use it...well, never. Here's the problem with netbooks and the rumored tablet - they fall in between two useful devices, but they themselves have the worst characteristics of both of those devices.

Fact is, they're too big to be a decent music/movie playback machine on the go, unless you can put it in a bag - in which case, why not just use your notebook? And they're too small to be used for any serious work (like the note taking you mentioned), because the keyboard is not conducive to typing more than very short messages.

In all the scenarios people bring up for using these devices, they can easily use an iPhone/iTouch or notebook instead. So where exactly does the tablet fit in except for a very small niche?

Are they cool? I guess. But I just don't see the purpose for the device at all.

Edit - I base all this on the assumption that this tablet will have an 8-10 inch screen and be as powerful as most netbooks are today. I also think that were Apple to release any such device they'd be smart enough to have thought of criticisms such as mine and have a compelling use for whatever they have planned. But for all the rumored ideas - they don't make sense to me.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 15, 2009, 04:58 PM

I own a netbook (a Dell Mini 9 w/ OS X), and I use it...well, never. Here's the problem with netbooks and the rumored tablet - they fall in between two useful devices, but they themselves have the worst characteristics of both of those devices.

Fact is, they're too big to be a decent music/movie playback machine on the go, unless you can put it in a bag - in which case, why not just use your notebook? And they're too small to be used for any serious work (like the note taking you mentioned), because the keyboard is not conducive to typing more than very short messages.

In all the scenarios people bring up for using these devices, they can easily use an iPhone/iTouch or notebook instead. So where exactly does the tablet fit in except for a very small niche?

Edit - I base all this on the assumption that this tablet will have an 8-10 inch screen and be as powerful as most netbooks are today. I also think that were Apple to release any such device they'd be smart enough to have thought of criticisms such as mine and have a compelling use for whatever they have planned. But for all the rumored ideas - they don't make sense to me.

Interesting, I find my dell mini hackbook quite useful, I use it everyday! It's quite possibly the best couch surfing computer I've ever used. I can bring it anywhere in a tiny sling bag, it's seriously portable. 13" macbook? Feels like a freaking piece of lead to me now.

I'm not photoshopping the world away with it, but it's great for a hundred other things.
ice

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2009, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Interesting, I find my dell mini hackbook quite useful, I use it everyday! It's quite possibly the best couch surfing computer I've ever used. I can bring it anywhere in a tiny sling bag, it's seriously portable. 13" macbook? Feels like a freaking piece of lead to me now.

I'm not photoshopping the world away with it, but it's great for a hundred other things.
I did that for a couple of weeks, then I got sick of the screen size and went back to my 15" MBP. I also hate the keyboard (even the international version I got with the correct key placement) for typing anything more than a sentence or two.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2009, 05:17 PM

That is most definitely a 'shop. It's just a PS'd iPod touch 1G. Remember the widescreen video iPod image that turned out to be fake a few years ago? This is pretty similar.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 15, 2009, 05:35 PM

I did that for a couple of weeks, then I got sick of the screen size and went back to my 15" MBP. I also hate the keyboard (even the international version I got with the correct key placement) for typing anything more than a sentence or two.
fair enough, and yes, while the Int'l version is an improvement, the mini's keyboard knocks like 30wpm off my typing speed. : /
ice

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2009, 06:08 PM

Apple would never put the home button half in the glass and half in the frame.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2009, 11:07 PM

Tablets suck.

Except this one:

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2009, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Apple would never put the home button half in the glass and half in the frame.
That was my first thought as well.

hayesk
Aug 16, 2009, 11:42 AM

A tablet, with a software keyboard when needed, would be extremely useful for many. Take notes in class or a meeting,
I don't know about you, but I can type a lot faster on a real keyboard. And on a laptop the screen is angled so that I can see it, unlike a tablet.

It may fill a gap between iPhone and laptop, but I'm not sure it fills it in the right way.

hayesk
Aug 16, 2009, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Now, if that was a tablet, you'd have to hold it at a comfortable reading angle, or crane your neck over top of your lap.

Try opening your netbook all the way, holding it in one hand and surfing. See how comfortable it is after half an hour. A laptop or netbook is good because it can rest on your lap and still be readable. A tablet can not.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2009, 12:08 PM

I picked up a Samsung NC10 for my fiancée and she loves it. She can drop it in her purse and take it to night class easily, it's perfect for what she uses a computer for - Microsoft Office, web browsing, and updating her mp3 player, and she loves the 6-7 hour battery life. I did sneak OS X onto it, my plan is to eventually set that as the default OS and get her switched. We'll see what happens.

An iPhone/iPod Touch wouldn't work at all, and a normal notebook is much too bulky - she'd have to lug around a second bag, which is what she was doing before.

There ARE legitimate uses for these devices, even if you can't comprehend them.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2009, 04:22 PM

I would love to get a Think Outside Stowaway keyboard for my iPhone.

Typing on that with a Palm PDA is actually much more comfortable than typing on an Asus netbook, since the Stowaway is a full-sized keyboard.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2009, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I picked up a Samsung NC10 for my fiancée and she loves it. She can drop it in her purse and take it to night class easily, it's perfect for what she uses a computer for - Microsoft Office, web browsing, and updating her mp3 player, and she loves the 6-7 hour battery life. I did sneak OS X onto it, my plan is to eventually set that as the default OS and get her switched. We'll see what happens.

An iPhone/iPod Touch wouldn't work at all, and a normal notebook is much too bulky - she'd have to lug around a second bag, which is what she was doing before.

There ARE legitimate uses for these devices, even if you can't comprehend them.
A very rare occasion where you're already carrying a bag but it's too small for a regular notebook. How often does that occur?

And I'm not saying there are NO legitimate uses for these devices. But as they stand now there's nothing really compelling about them.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2009, 09:25 PM

A very rare occasion where you're already carrying a bag but it's too small for a regular notebook. How often does that occur?
For almost every single woman? Almost every single day. Personally, I would have loved this in college. My 5+ pound iBook was a bear to carry everywhere (and its weight is what destroyed it in a bicycle crash), and although my iPod Touch was great in class for the most basic web browsing and email, a netbook would have made email, web, and basic document work a breeze.

And I'm not saying there are NO legitimate uses for these devices. But as they stand now there's nothing really compelling about them.
To you.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2009, 10:40 PM

I may get a netbook when Apple makes one... with a full-sized keyboard.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2009, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I may get a netbook when Apple makes one... with a full-sized keyboard.
Can you really make a notebook with a sub-12" screen and a full-sized keyboard?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2009, 12:30 AM

Can you really make a notebook with a sub-12" screen and a full-sized keyboard?
Yes. The iBook's keyboard is almost 11" wide. You could make keyboard that is 9.5"-9.75" wide with full-sized keys.

The compromises would be:

Tab, shift, caps lock, delete, return, and ESC keys would have to be shortened.
The ~ and \ keys would have to be moved elsewhere.
The Apple, Option, CTRL, and arrow keys would have to be small ones.

EDIT:

Well, whaddya know.

The Samsung N120 has a 10.1" screen and full-sized keyboard.

The entire computer is 10.7" wide.

Notice how they've for example shrunken the tab key, and relocated the ~ key.

Measuring off the screen, it seems their keyboard is about 10.1"-ish wide, so that's wider than my 9.75" guess. However, they kept a wide return key and kept the \ key intact in the usual place, whereas I had suggested relocating the \ key. In retrospect, Samsung's design might be a better design overall, and could allow for a slightly bigger screen too.

P.S. Interestingly, the N120 only has one trackpad button, despite the fact it ships with Windows. I suspect to get the right click, one needs to hold down the Fn button while clicking, or something like that... a la OS X.
( Last edited by Eug; Aug 17, 2009 at 01:03 AM. )

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2009, 04:12 AM

I always knew that border's books would be good for something: Rumored Apple Tablet to be Called iPAD? � iPhonePulse

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2009, 08:10 AM

Have you tried touch-typing on a touchscreen computer?

I have a Samsung Q1 UMPC, on which I installed a full-screen QWERTY keyboard application for faster text entry.

Believe me, it's still slow as hell compared to a physical keyboard. A keyboard-less device is fine for browsing or playing touch-friendly games. It sucks hardcore for trying to actually use a keyboard. For people who are fast touch-typists, like myself, they're impossible to use the way you can use a real keyboard.

There's also the fact that you're trying to type and look directly down at what you're typing. It's a weird angle and difficult to use for a long period of time (like an hour-long class or meeting).

Fact is, they're too big to be a decent music/movie playback machine on the go, unless you can put it in a bag - in which case, why not just use your notebook?
Because a normal notebook weighs twice as much? When you're running through an airport or walking to class or doing other things where you don't want to be particularly weighed down by things, a netbook is a godsend.

And they're too small to be used for any serious work (like the note taking you mentioned), because the keyboard is not conducive to typing more than very short messages.
That's because you picked a netbook with a particularly tiny keyboard. Try an HP Mini 1000. The keyboard is 95% full size and extremely comfortable to use, even for large adult male hands.

Yes, I could have taken my four-pound laptop with me when I went to DC recently, but it was a lot easier to take my two-pound Aspire One instead. It weighed less and it took up considerably less room in my luggage. Since we didn't check our bags, space was at a premium.

I have a $2000 laptop from work. I also have $300 netbook. I use the netbook a hell of a lot more frequently than my laptop. It gets longer battery life, it's lighter, it's smaller, and it does what I need it to do.

If Apple releases a tablet, I'm certain people will buy it, simply because of who makes it. However, I don't see a keyboard-less actual computer flying far.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2009, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
P.S. Interestingly, the N120 only has one trackpad button, despite the fact it ships with Windows. I suspect to get the right click, one needs to hold down the Fn button while clicking, or something like that... a la OS X.
Are you basing that assumption on the picture alone? If it's anything like the NC10 (I'd bet lots of money that it is), that single button has a pivot in the middle, so it can function as primary and secondary clicks depending on which side of the button you press.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2009, 09:46 AM

Are you basing that assumption on the picture alone? If it's anything like the NC10 (I'd bet lots of money that it is), that single button has a pivot in the middle, so it can function as primary and secondary clicks depending on which side of the button you press.
Yes, it was just from the picture. I guess that makes sense.

Anyways, the important point is the full-sized keyboard. Very nice. I'd love to see say an 10.7" 1024x600 Apple machine at a reasonable price point.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2009, 09:57 AM

Well here's the NC10.

I'd bet the NC120 wouldn't be any more difficult.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2009, 12:32 PM

This photoshop jhob is so bad even I can tell. They didn't even center the image within the display area!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

carterx
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2009, 12:57 PM

Ya, definitely PS.
First off, if they ever come through with one, please do not put an iPhone/iPod button on it !!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2009, 12:59 PM

If that's a 15" iPad, how big is the button? 1"?

Demonhood
Administrator
Aug 18, 2009, 05:58 PM

i look forward to new advances in knob technology

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2009, 06:02 PM

Clearly a shop job. I don't know where you found that, but that won't fool anyone. Unless of course it's Laminar.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2009, 06:07 PM

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2009, 06:09 PM

Ha ha

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2009, 06:09 PM

^^ nice!

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2009, 07:01 PM

Underpowered, miniscule tablet devices (excluding the iPhone form factor) won't ever catch on like manufacturers want. If I want to sit on the couch and surf, I've got a full notebook to do that on. Why in the hell would I need to purchase a $900 tablet to do that on?
MacBook Pro 2.66GHz | iPhone 3G | 
Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 18-135mm IS | 580EXII

Flickr
Tome Curator

Phileas
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2009, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by ApertureValue View Post
Underpowered, miniscule tablet devices (excluding the iPhone form factor) won't ever catch on like manufacturers want. If I want to sit on the couch and surf, I've got a full notebook to do that on. Why in the hell would I need to purchase a $900 tablet to do that on?
The ipod? Will never catch on. Ever. Too expensive and who'd want to carry their entire music collection with them?

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2009, 09:56 PM

The ipod? Will never catch on. Ever. Too expensive and who'd want to carry their entire music collection with them?
The day that I see people toting around some iPad crapola as much as people carry around iPods is the day I'll eat a turd sandwich. A tablet Mac will never be as popular as the iPod, and will never sell like one. Period.
MacBook Pro 2.66GHz | iPhone 3G | 
Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 18-135mm IS | 580EXII

Flickr
Tome Curator

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2009, 10:31 PM

Cue ApertureValue standing in line on release day for the iPad.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2009, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by ApertureValue View Post
If I want to sit on the couch and surf, I've got a full notebook to do that on. Why in the hell would I need to purchase a $900 tablet to do that on?
Funny, I bought a Touch because I didn't feel like hauling my heavy, hot laptop from whatever place it usually was (work bag, bedroom) into the living room, when my surfing is made up by a few imdb searches, forum reads, and twitter updates. My only lament was that it wasn't bigger, like, oh say, a kindle sized touch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules