Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New Stealth Ship

New Stealth Ship
cszar2001
Photo Architect
Jun 10, 2004, 08:19 AM

Check it out: the Visby
How about a stealth G5 PB made out of carbon fibre?
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2004, 08:21 AM

That's incredible.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2004, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by cszar2001:
Check it out: the Visby
How about a stealth G5 PB made out of carbon fibre?
My buddy works on ships and makes fun of this type of ship.

His big thing is "THE COLD WAR IS OVER!!!"

Most of the people we are fighting against have rocket propelled grenades as their most advanced weapon.

george68
Banned
Jun 10, 2004, 08:27 AM

The cold war is over..... for now. China, however, remains a superpower, and has enough f*cked up views on human rights, lots of nukes, and a lot of people... so we'll see.

- Rob

DBursey
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2004, 08:29 AM

On the plus side; small radar signature allows for stealth operation, light weight enhances maneuverability.

The big negative involves survivability. One hit from a surface-to-surface missle and this carbon-fibre construct quickly becomes a former stealth corvette.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2004, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by george68:
The cold war is over..... for now. China, however, remains a superpower, and has enough f*cked up views on human rights, lots of nukes, and a lot of people... so we'll see.

- Rob
I think his point is "They have nukes, we have nukes, I don't think a stealth boat is going to do much."

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2004, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I think his point is "They have nukes, we have nukes, I don't think a stealth boat is going to do much."
For Sweden it is "The west has nukes, the east has nukes, but neither one is going to use against us so lets create some kind of tactical advantage"

Not only is the Visby corvette great for military purposes but it can also be great in regular coast-guard activities to prevent smuggling.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2004, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by DBursey:
On the plus side; small radar signature allows for stealth operation, light weight enhances maneuverability.

The big negative involves survivability. One hit from a surface-to-surface missle and this carbon-fibre construct quickly becomes a former stealth corvette.
IIRC the tests for Visby has shown that it is just as strong as the regular enforced steel hulls and in some cases even stronger(UNDEX and blast most notably).

So it isn't such a big negative after all.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2004, 09:30 AM

we don't have time to stop for gas

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2004, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by Logic:
IIRC the tests for Visby has shown that it is just as strong as the regular enforced steel hulls and in some cases even stronger(UNDEX and blast most notably).

So it isn't such a big negative after all.
RIght, but if it has a hole blown in it, doesn't it lose at least a degree of it's stealthiness?

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2004, 09:51 AM

What a crap boat - there's nowhere to put the totty. It at least needs a jacuzzi of some description.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2004, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
That's incredible.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

DBursey
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2004, 10:33 AM

This depends on construction methods as much as material strength. Studies I've seen contradict the tests you mention in terms of composite hull survivability. I'll try to find some of those later. That being said, I'm not an expert on composite material characteristics.

Peter: My sympathies. Narcolepsy is such a mentally disabling affliction.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2004, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
RIght, but if it has a hole blown in it, doesn't it lose at least a degree of it's stealthiness?
Of course. But the whole idea behind this boat is to be able to strike first. That way minimising the likelihood of getting a hole blown in it.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2004, 10:46 AM

This depends on construction methods as much as material strength. Studies I've seen contradict the tests you mention in terms of composite hull survivability. I'll try to find some of those later. That being said, I'm not an expert on composite material characteristics.
The newest material does rival and/or pass steel in strength, just look at F1 cars for a good example.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2004, 11:38 AM

You're correct in that a more maneuverable, less-visible ship with improved thermal characteristics possesses considerable operational and tactical advantages over conventional ships, at least on paper. I'm not condemning the ship's design, merely highlighting one possible disadvantage as compared with steel construction. There exists some question as to the survivability of a composite hull ship as compared with that of a steel hulled ship.

Material strength is one thing, overall design strength is quite another. Carbon fibre tends to shatter under high mechanical loading (such as that applied when an exocet missle detonates against or inside the hull). As well, the material really hasn't been subjected to long exposure to a marine environment. Time will reveal its sea-worthyness, if not its survivability in combat (we're talking about Sweden after all).

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2004, 11:43 AM

Definitely very interesting. It's important that the US takes the lead in technology.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

DBursey
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2004, 12:01 PM

Well, the Swedes are the 1st to have put a 'stealth' design ship into the water. The US Navy is working on a new class of destroyer, the DD(X), which is due to enter service in 2011. Like the Swedish destroyer, the DD(X) is intended for littoral combat patrols, not blue-water missions. Based on the info I've read, I'm still not sure as to whether the DD(X) series will be built using composites or steel hull design.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2004, 12:20 PM

Too bad the whole ship runs on Windows NT. They said that even if someone does hack the ship, they can still fall back on manual for maneuvering... I was a little more worried about the warheads. But hey, if they can run around in circles, all power to them.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2004, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
Too bad the whole ship runs on Windows NT. They said that even if someone does hack the ship, they can still fall back on manual for maneuvering... I was a little more worried about the warheads. But hey, if they can run around in circles, all power to them.
The warheads are not controlled by Windows.

Propulsion and various other ship critical devices are, but not the warheads.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2004, 12:37 PM

Out of curiosity... wouldn't the carbon fiber body be rather difficult to patch should it punctured. You would just weld the old stuff.

How heat resistant is carbon fiber?

Jan Van Boghout
Jun 10, 2004, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
Definitely very interesting. It's important that the US takes the lead in technology.
Last I heard Sweden is not yet a US state

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jun 10, 2004, 01:29 PM

Very cool. The old one looked cool also.

"Hello, what have we here?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2004, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:
Last I heard Sweden is not yet a US state
It also depends upon what you consider "takes the lead" means. Building one prototype or even full blown ship doesn't mean anything.

Jan Van Boghout
Jun 10, 2004, 01:36 PM

It also depends upon what you consider "takes the lead" means. Building one prototype or even full blown ship doesn't mean anything.
They have the technology, and it works too How and in what quantity it'll be used is an entirely different discussion.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2004, 01:39 PM

Its just like streetfighter the movie!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2004, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:
They have the technology, and it works too How and in what quantity it'll be used is an entirely different discussion.

Yes, they have the technology, but so could the Russians, English and Americans... Just because they built a boat doesn't mean Sweden.

also, please note The Visby Class corvette is the first vessel in the world to have fully developed stealth technology, combined with high operational versatility.

The US has a stealth ship (and I believe a few other countries are working on them as well).

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/navyw.../seashadow.htm

While I give credit to Sweden on an amazing ship, Sweden doesn't necessarily have the lead.

I would also argue that the submarine was the first "stealth" ship.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2004, 02:57 PM

You're correct in that a more maneuverable, less-visible ship with improved thermal characteristics possesses considerable operational and tactical advantages over conventional ships, at least on paper. I'm not condemning the ship's design, merely highlighting one possible disadvantage as compared with steel construction. There exists some question as to the survivability of a composite hull ship as compared with that of a steel hulled ship.

Material strength is one thing, overall design strength is quite another. Carbon fibre tends to shatter under high mechanical loading (such as that applied when an exocet missle detonates against or inside the hull). As well, the material really hasn't been subjected to long exposure to a marine environment. Time will reveal its sea-worthyness, if not its survivability in combat (we're talking about Sweden after all).
I can assure you that both long exposure to water and strength have been tested. I can't go into any details but from what I've heard/seen it's just as strong as steel hulls. The material they use will become more popular in the next years(probably after the first Visby class corvettes are sold abroad).

And exactly because we are talking about Sweden it is very well tested in combat. Sweden has a history of developing state of the art technology that for instance both the US and Britain buys and uses extensively. Sweden has had to be prepared to fight off both western attacks and eastern attacks(Cold War) and therefore have put extensive resources in being independent militarily.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2004, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
It would still be completely operational and not a sitting duck if the system fails but yes, I'm surprised they chose NT or any other OS that is known to the public.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2004, 03:03 PM

It would still be completely operational and not a sitting duck if the system fails but yes, I'm surprised they chose NT or any other OS that is known to the public.
While NT is questionable, off the shelf stuff is fine considering I doubt it's taxed all that much.

It would have to be able to drive without the computer considering many ships must still be EMP resistant.

gatekeeper
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2004, 03:19 PM

Sweden has a history of developing state of the art technology

Beauty, ain't she?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2004, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by gatekeeper:
VERY BIG IMAGE
Beauty, ain't she? [/B]
I'm currently using a CMS from Sweden.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2004, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by gatekeeper:
.......snipped...
Beauty, ain't she?
A beauty that kicks F-16's and F/A-18 Super Hornets ass

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2004, 03:28 PM

bleeg: double post! at last i gofigured out how to fsck posting a simple message!
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2004, 03:30 PM

- Rob
Yeah! Right on! And don't forget the USA, speaking about fscked up views of human rights, lots of nukes...

oh!... never mind!

Obligatory stuff: It ship looks gorgeous, but the name:
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2004, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by gerbnl:
Yeah! Right on! And don't forget the USA, speaking about fscked up views of human rights, lots of nukes...

oh!... never mind!

Obligatory stuff: It ship looks gorgeous, but the name:
It's named after a city that was one of the most important harbours back in the days when Sweden was a superpower. The corvettes get names after cities while the submarines get names after "areas" in Sweden, like the Gotlands class submarine that is the most sophisticated diesel submarine operational today.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2004, 09:56 PM

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2004, 11:24 PM

Well, even if it's a total military failure, it would make a fantastic yacht (Think of that huge dance floor on the back there!), and I'm sure that Iceland could use one in its hunt for Whales of Massive Displacement
weird wabbit

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2004, 05:03 AM

Originally posted by theolein:
Well, even if it's a total military failure, it would make a fantastic yacht (Think of that huge dance floor on the back there!), and I'm sure that Iceland could use one in its hunt for Whales of Massive Displacement

I'll talk to our government and ask if they don't like that idea

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2004, 05:42 AM

A beauty that kicks F-16's and F/A-18 Super Hornets ass
The Grippen is impressive, but Its not the plane, its who's flying it.

Sea Harriers 23
Dassault Mirages 0

http://www.airtoaircombat.com/backgr...p?id=24&bg=157
( Last edited by moonmonkey; Jun 11, 2004 at 06:02 AM. )

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2004, 07:13 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
The Grippen is impressive, but Its not the plane, its who's flying it.

Sea Harriers 23
Dassault Mirages 0

http://www.airtoaircombat.com/backgr...p?id=24&bg=157
Very true. But in exercises with NATO(acting as the foe) Gripen has a very good record. Unfortunately I can't tell the exact numbers but it came out as the winner in most scenarios where it wasn't outnumbered.

btw, great site

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2004, 07:42 AM

Very true. But in exercises with NATO(acting as the foe) Gripen has a very good record. Unfortunately I can't tell the exact numbers but it came out as the winner in most scenarios where it wasn't outnumbered.

btw, great site
Wait until the Eurofighter comes out!
Thats going to be one cool (but expensive) machine.

Sealobo
Jun 11, 2004, 08:09 AM

- Rob
what do you know about China?

You should look at the progress instead of the indifferences between you own country and China. You think it's a wise thing to do to apply american's gun control policy onto the chinese people where they're generally undereducated? That's the basic human right of your nation, right?

China is a civilization with five thousand years of historical burden, things just don't change (improve) over night. At this moment stability and control is the key to modern developement in China. In fact you should be happy with the attitude of the chinese leaders because they're showing nothing but respect to the western world, being cooperative on international affiar and not casuing much trouble for the alien countries, unlike those religious ones in the middle east.

Eight nations of nomad invaded China by the end of the Ching dynasty, and that just happened in not so remote history. China is capable of ****ing around but they're not doing so, and that's tell you the oreintation of the modern chinese people. Maybe you should take a look at that in your history material. If you wanna check out the latest human right developement by international scale, try the googling "US Iraq invasion".

george68
Banned
Jun 11, 2004, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by gerbnl:
uh.... where have you been? China has been a MAJOR human rights violater for a LONG time. They do not value human life like we do. They put a LOT less importance on life, and the government has a LOT more power (which is bad).

- Rob

george68
Banned
Jun 11, 2004, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by Sealobo:
what do you know about China?
I know that they have a LOT of people, nukes, and a pretty damn big army. Hence, superpower. Hence, the cold war might not be over.

- Rob

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2004, 10:21 AM

uh.... where have you been? China has been a MAJOR human rights violater for a LONG time. They do not value human life like we do. They put a LOT less importance on life, and the government has a LOT more power (which is bad).

- Rob
Since when did we value human life?

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2004, 10:23 AM

I know that they have a LOT of people, nukes, and a pretty damn big army. Hence, superpower. Hence, the cold war might not be over.

- Rob
Umm, no, its over. You might have the attitude that the poor little US can only rest when its democratized every country big enough to pose a threat.. which really wouldn't surprise me.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2004, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by Tulkas:
Umm, no, its over. You might have the attitude that the poor little US can only rest when its democratized every country big enough to pose a threat.. which really wouldn't surprise me.
Democracy is like poison to Communism. Now that Hong Kong has had a taste, they aren't going to want to give it up. This summer should be interesting. I wonder how many will die in the large-scale demonstrations set to take place this summer?

Hong Kong will not be ruled by Beijing.

Sealobo
Jun 11, 2004, 04:24 PM

- Rob
So that's all you know?

Obviously you don't know what you're talking about. China's military force is NOTHING compare to the US'. Yes the Chinese has the largest number of force (3 million ACTIVE, in service army personels), but their weapons and technologies are nowhere near the level of the american. The Chinese are buying used weapon from the Russian because there are many import barriers of weapon for China from the western world, and those barriers are mostly tightened by the US.

And hey check this out, the US' lastest annual military budget is 50% of the world's total.

If that's how you identify a superpower, then north korea almost qualified. What the american government doesn't wanna see is another true superpower, strong in both economics (japan) and military (ex-USSR) exactly like the US itself. China is the best candidate right now. Having said that, the size of the Chinese economy is only about 10% of the US', so it's gonna take quite a while to the chinese to catch up.

Sealobo
Jun 11, 2004, 04:35 PM

Democracy is like poison to Communism. Now that Hong Kong has had a taste, they aren't going to want to give it up. This summer should be interesting. I wonder how many will die in the large-scale demonstrations set to take place this summer?

Hong Kong will not be ruled by Beijing.

You think communism still exist in China? Look, there is a ****ing Starbucks opened by the side of the Forbidden City.

And nobody is going to die for demonstrations. I went onto the street at 7.1 last year and it's all good.

Hong Kong will not be ruled by Beijing?... but Hong Kong will need Beijing's assistant for greater economical success. Even Washington has to be careful on words when they talk to Beijing. Hong Kong is already ruled by Beijing, people don't have a choice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules