Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Tiger: New QuickTime & H.264 Compression

Tiger: New QuickTime & H.264 Compression
TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 12:03 AM

I'm surprised not many people have mentioned the new QuickTime and H.264 compression which would allow:

QuickTime for Tiger adds advanced compression technology for video creation and playback called H.264/AVC (Advanced Video Coding), also known as MPEG-4 Part 10. This ultra-efficient, fully scalable video technology produces higher quality video at lower data rates for everything from 3G to HD.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2004, 12:44 AM

it's the same rhetoric they had about MPEG-4 before it came out (and Apple's implementation turned out to be poor compared with existing 3rd party implementations). I'm withholding my interest in this until it's released.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2004, 12:45 AM

Ya this is the same old story, I can't wait to see it but a year is a long time to wait.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 12:56 AM

Very much something that should be released now, and not months down the road.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2004, 03:33 AM

Originally posted by Chris Grande:
Very much something that should be released now, and not months down the road.
agreed. But they need a feature to sell Tiger with... to all those who do video work, and think dashboard is nasty...

-Owl

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2004, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by Uncle Skeleton:
it's the same rhetoric they had about MPEG-4 before it came out (and Apple's implementation turned out to be poor compared with existing 3rd party implementations). I'm withholding my interest in this until it's released.
Yeah, but H.264 is an MPEG-4 compliant codec. And it's actually very good.

bmedina
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
Yeah, but H.264 is an MPEG-4 compliant codec. And it's actually very good.
What they're saying is Apple's implementation of an MPEG4 simple profile codec sucked even while Apple proclaimed it to be the best codec ever. Now Apple is saying the same about their implementation of h.264, but we have no idea how good it is.

BTW, does anyone know if h.264 is included in the 10.4 developer preview?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 29, 2004, 06:38 PM

From what I've read, H.264 really has not much to do with the traditional MPEG4 codecs except for the name.

H.264 was shown at NAB by Apple, and it indeed is totally awesome. It is the competing format to WMV9, which is excellent too. Imagine HD material at DVD bitrates. It's no surprise that both formats have been adopted for HD-DVD. Now, for HD, with current levels of optimization it's gonna take a dual G5 just to decode H.264 at 8 Mbps hidef. And it will take just about forever for encodes.

OTOH, the requirements are alot less severe for iChat level resolutions, but still, if you have a slower computer, expect iChat not to work that great with multi-user videoconferencing.

I'm wondering if we may see the new iChat before Tiger. QuickTime 7 will include H.264 support. Will QuickTime 7 be out before Tiger?

BTW, H.264 is *already* being used by many companies specifically for videoconferencing, but as a proprietary solution, not as an app with a standard PC AFAIK.

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 09:00 PM

Eug Wanker: Thanks for the info. I'm REALLY looking forward to QuickTime 7!!

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
From what I've read, H.264 really has not much to do with the traditional MPEG4 codecs except for the name.

H.264 was shown at NAB by Apple, and it indeed is totally awesome. It is the competing format to WMV9, which is excellent too. Imagine HD material at DVD bitrates. It's no surprise that both formats have been adopted for HD-DVD. Now, for HD, with current levels of optimization it's gonna take a dual G5 just to decode H.264 at 8 Mbps hidef. And it will take just about forever for encodes.

OTOH, the requirements are alot less severe for iChat level resolutions, but still, if you have a slower computer, expect iChat not to work that great with multi-user videoconferencing.

I'm wondering if we may see the new iChat before Tiger. QuickTime 7 will include H.264 support. Will QuickTime 7 be out before Tiger?

BTW, H.264 is *already* being used by many companies specifically for videoconferencing, but as a proprietary solution, not as an app with a standard PC AFAIK.
When you say at the same bitrate, it means you can have an HD-DVD at the same size as a DVD of the same material? Or am I misreading that? So basically the format is just highly compressed, taxing the processor more as opposed to visual compression?

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2004, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by bmedina:
BTW, does anyone know if h.264 is included in the 10.4 developer preview?
I don't know, but I assume it is since they demoed it at WWDC in both iChat and Quicktime.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2004, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
When you say at the same bitrate, it means you can have an HD-DVD at the same size as a DVD of the same material? Or am I misreading that? So basically the format is just highly compressed, taxing the processor more as opposed to visual compression?
Yes.

Unfortunately, it takes a dual G5 Power Mac to decode that H.264 HD-DVD, whereas a lowly old G3 laptop can decode a standard DVD just fine.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 11:25 PM

Yes.

Unfortunately, it takes a dual G5 Power Mac to decode that H.264 HD-DVD, whereas a lowly old G3 laptop can decode a standard DVD just fine.
What does this say HD-DVD Players? Is this going to significantly raise their prices? Can we tap into our new DVD players with Xgrid now?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2004, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
What does this say HD-DVD Players? Is this going to significantly raise their prices? Can we tap into our new DVD players with Xgrid now?
Well, I'm no expert but...

The chips are coming. Remember, Macs are not built to be DVD players. I think there are probably already (expensive) chips for video playback that support HD on formats like WMV9, and H.264 HD support is coming in chips in the near future (if they aren't already here).

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 01:19 AM

dedicated chips should be considerably easier and cheaper to make because you can reduce the number of processes necessary to do the decoding drastically. What may take a 'general' processor such as a G5 (for instance) 25 operations to accomplish could be done in a single process by a dedicated decoder. This means that those chips can be much more efficient and not just be a G5-level chip without the rest of the computer.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2004, 03:33 AM

Just remember when DVDs came out most general-purpose computers struggled to decode them in real-time.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2004, 12:45 PM

( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Jun 30, 2004 at 12:51 PM. )

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2004, 01:05 PM

Is that not the far older H263 codec? iVisit and the like has been using it for ages.
O am I barking in completely the wrong forrest here?
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2004, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by Grrr:
Is that not the far older H263 codec? iVisit and the like has been using it for ages.
O am I barking in completely the wrong forrest here?
H.263 is used, but H.264 is now being used as well. Here's one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules